Chinese tour group take a trip into the sea - still in their bus

webfact

Chinese tour group take a trip into the sea - still in their bus

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

PATTAYA: -- A tour bus taking dozens of Chinese tourists to a seafood dinner ended up in the Pattaya sea yesterday evening.

Brake failure has been blamed for the accident that occurred at the end of Soi 18 in the Na Klua area.

No injuries were reported but several of the tourists fainted due to fright.

The bus had a marking on the side of "Serm Yon Tour" and the 34 passengers and guides belonged to the Thai Moei Inter group tour.

Driver Thawee Chokchai, 49, said he was taking the group to dinner in the soi. When he applied the brake it had failed.

Attempts to use the gears to slow down proved ineffective as the bus sideswiped a pick-up then careened into the beach.

Thawee thought the sand would slow the vehicle down but it didn't and it headed for the sea where it ended up semi-submerged.

Sanook reported that there were no physical injuries but that the tourists were in a state of shock with some having passed out. Some thought they might be drowned.

Sawang Boriboon foundation helped everyone to safety.

Police said that it was brake failure but they are investigating to see whether the bus is up to the stringent Thai standards.

It was not reported whether the group still had the stomach for seafood after the accident.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-07

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police said that it was brake failure but they are investigating to see whether the bus is up to the stringent Thai standards.

Their havin a Giraffe, stringent standards, that'll be a first.

You guys beat me to the gun on that :smile:

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thawee thought the sand would slow the vehicle down but it didn't and it headed for the sea where it ended up semi-submerged.

The sand DID slow the vehicle down.

I often have been at this spot down Soi 18. It's really steep and narrow on the last stretch.

If there was no sand just concrete to the water the bus would have ended fully submerged.

(or not as the water is quite shallow :smile:)

Next time I will have a close look to the motorbike mirror.

Beware of low flying buses. :shock1:

This bus traffic there is a nightmare anyway.

Stinking noisy buses bumper to bumper in the afternoon.

Oncoming buses, parked cars, retract the mirrors to pass.

It does not take a detective to notice these tour bus drivers travel too fast; yet, I have never seen the police stop them (the police are in clusters topping the poor motorbike drivers for 200 baht). And tourism is to increase 30% in the future... this means more wear and tear on the infrastructure and more accidents.

Maybe the  "Serm Yon Tour" company will issue fishing rods for each passenger to catch their own seafood before heading to the restaurant from now on?

As long as enough of them stay conscious to catch their meal.  :crazy:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Quote of the week candidate methinks.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

I had a belly laugh when I read that

Maybe GPS was set for Hua Hin.......................................blame the GPS

Archived