Sriracha Sauce finally in Thailand!

Nampa89

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's been around for awhile....Available in some restaurants.....

Apparently some other brands have taken away it's marketing share in the US and are supposedly better....

Don't know if any of those are here as well....

I am not a sauce user myself.

I remember one time in my teens overhearing a person say to another when the sauce was passed to him...." No thanks, I never use sauce, when I put it on something all I can taste is the sauce".

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about what he said and it made so much sense to me I never used sauce again.

If ever I' m asked why I don' t use it I give the very same reason I overheard all those years ago.

If you've been telling your Thai friends about it for 12 years and they had never heard of it maybe you weren't pronouncing it correctly? You could probably have taken a trip south  to Sri Racha and got some. They've been making it there for many decades I think.

Amazing how little people know about this now ubiquitous sauce.  Has nothing to do with Thailand.   Elektrified and Rotweiler have it right.  Its a Vietnamese sauce from L.A.  seen on every table in every Vietnamese restaurant.  I remember the big hubub the inventor got into with the local community near Irwindale, east of L.A., complaining of the stench from his factory.

6 minutes ago, LALes said:

Amazing how little people know about this now ubiquitous sauce.  Has nothing to do with Thailand.   Elektrified and Rotweiler have it right.  Its a Vietnamese sauce from L.A.  seen on every table in every Vietnamese restaurant.  I remember the big hubub the inventor got into with the local community near Irwindale, east of L.A., complaining of the stench from his factory.

It has everything to do with Thailand. Sriracha is a general name for a hot sauce that was first made in Si Racha, Thailand. Yes, a Vietnamese man has been very successful making it in the US. His version of Thai sriracha sauce, he didnt invent it, just copied the sauce already being made in siricha, in Thailand.

Its the same as saying an American/Vietnamese invented champagne or Parmesan cheese, people make there own versions or copies all over the world.

8 minutes ago, SouthernDelight said:

The Little-Known History Of The World’s Coolest Hot Sauce
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/sriracha-history_n_4136923.html

and that folks, is the Facts............the stuf is made by a Vietnamese in California with a Thai Name -  there were quite a few refugees in Sri Racha in the seventies, could have adopted the name from that - or, was afraid if he gave it a Vietnamese name, no one would buy it..............

19 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

There can be ONLY ONE
This is it.

All others don't have the same flavor.

sriracha39_190.jpg

If there was only going to be one, I'd go with the original, which is from Thailand, and was made some 50 years earlier than the U.S. copy. And yes, I will call it a copy even if the tastes are totally different, because the use of the name Sri Racha is certainly no coincidence.

I remember a blog a while back whereby someone was looking for the Shark brand of Sriracha sauce.  It was apparently the one by all others should be judged.  I do recall seeing it ages ago in RimPing but have not seen it for ages.

The 836 brand is easily obtained tho, also in RimPing 

17 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Heavy emphasis on the "this"?  Either it IS Sriracha sauce or it isn't.  If it is real  Sriracha sauce. it is made in Thailand. 

Calling a pig a horse is grammatically correct but it doesn't change the facts.

The "real" stuff is manufactured in Los Angeles, California. I've been by the factory before they moved to the present location. It's nothing like the sauce made in Thailand. We have a bottle of the Shark brand here (made in Thailand, purchased in USA as it's impossible to find here!). No one will eat it. About time to toss it out.

Maybe the sauce doesnt travel well?  Like a fish out of water....

I wouldnt know re the taste of the stuff (Shark brand) as Ive never tried it. I would however like to try this USA brand so once the rain eases off I may take a trip to Rimping and see if they have

I have tried at least 5 brands of thai made S.sauce, none are as good as the American version they also make a garlic infused sauce that comes in a jar.. very good stuff.  so popular that u even see it ay mexican restos in Cali.

1 hour ago, LALes said:

Sriracha (Thai: ศรีราชา, Thai pronunciation: [sǐː rāː.t͡ɕʰāː]; English /sᵻˈrɑːtʃə/) is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.[2] It is named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in Chonburi Province of eastern Thailand, where it may have been first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants.[3]

My understanding is that there is a particular brand of Sri Racha sauce, invented by a Vietnamese man in L.A., popular in Vietnam and more recently worldwide, but it is derived from a recipe that has been produced in Sri Racha for decades.

3 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Sriracha (Thai: ศรีราชา, Thai pronunciation: [sǐː rāː.t͡ɕʰāː]; English /sᵻˈrɑːtʃə/) is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.[2] It is named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in Chonburi Province of eastern Thailand, where it may have been first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants.[3]

My understanding is that there is a particular brand of Sri Racha sauce, invented by a Vietnamese man in L.A., popular in Vietnam and more recently worldwide, but it is derived from a recipe that has been produced in Sri Racha for decades.

Yes that right the town of siracha has been making, and is famous for, a particular style of chilli sauce, since the 1930s. The Vietnamese guy copied it and used the name in the 1980s. 

Huy Fong is a brand of siracha sauce, as Heinz makes a version of djion mustard. The green cap and rooster logo are trademarked, but the U.S, patent and trademark office considers the name "sriracha" to be a generic term, the same as ketchup.

The OP should read Huy Fong siracha sauce finally in Thailand.