Need to go for a new Non-B when changing schools?

There was some talk awhile back about getting rid of this. That we could change schools and not have to exit the country to make a new Non-B..... In addition, had a friend recently say he didn't have to get a new Non-B, they just transferred it over at immigration.... 

Is it true?

My experience is that it depends on the province. Some provinces will convert a tourist to a B. Some provinces will allow the original sponsor of the B or B extension to give permission to the new employer to 'take over' the B or B extension. To obtain the visa the sponsor normally needs to state that they will be responsible for repatriating the foreigner if necessary. 

Most schools will not bother getting involved with the former sponsor. Too much trouble ....they just tell you to get a new Non-B. I was in a situation last year where the schools were in the same Educational Area (meaning same admin office) and even then they would not be bothered...just go to Lao and get a new one. Not worth fighting the system, to be honest a couple of days away from the kids is not a bad thing...

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

My experience is that it depends on the province. Some provinces will convert a tourist to a B. Some provinces will allow the original sponsor of the B or B extension to give permission to the new employer to 'take over' the B or B extension. To obtain the visa the sponsor normally needs to state that they will be responsible for repatriating the foreigner if necessary. 

"To obtain the visa the sponsor normally needs to state that they will be responsible for repatriating the foreigner if necessary. " - What an absolute crock of crap!

If you have a Non-B visa, (that the embassy has not written the sponsors name on), then you of course can use it for any new job.

If you have an extension of stay based on employment and your new employment is in the same province, then with the help of both your old and new employer it is possible to cancel the extension and apply for a new one on the same day - thereby not having to leave the country. But, how many previous employers want to help an employee that has left?

This is why generally it is easier to just leave and apply for a brand new Non-B.

33 minutes ago, tonray said:

Most schools will not bother getting involved with the former sponsor. Too much trouble ....they just tell you to get a new Non-B. I was in a situation last year where the schools were in the same Educational Area (meaning same admin office) and even then they would not be bothered...just go to Lao and get a new one. Not worth fighting the system, to be honest a couple of days away from the kids is not a bad thing...

" the schools were in the same Educational Area (meaning same admin office)" - means nothing, it is about being in the same Immigration division.

3 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

" the schools were in the same Educational Area (meaning same admin office)" - means nothing, it is about being in the same Immigration division.

They were also in the same Immigration division...make you happy now ?

Some schools will just change it over in immigration. However the extra paperwork for the school means that its easier for them if you just leave and start again. Technically the obtaining of a Non B within Thailand is only done in 'exceptional' circumstances. If the new school has contacts in immigration maybe that can help.

Look at the bright side. You will get to spend  a few days in a neighbouring country. I recommend Laos and Vientiane. I never had any issues at the Thai consulate there...

4 minutes ago, claffey said:

Some schools will just change it over in immigration. However the extra paperwork for the school means that its easier for them if you just leave and start again. Technically the obtaining of a Non B within Thailand is only done in 'exceptional' circumstances. If the new school has contacts in immigration maybe that can help.

Look at the bright side. You will get to spend  a few days in a neighbouring country. I recommend Laos and Vientiane. I never had any issues at the Thai consulate there...

"Technically the obtaining of a Non B within Thailand is only done in 'exceptional' circumstances. If the new school has contacts in immigration maybe that can help."

Incorrect, it is not only done in "exceptional" cases, anyone with 15 or more days remaining on either a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry can change it to a Non-B at immigration - however, the paperwork to do this is far greater than if getting a Non-B at a consulate or embassy.(As you mentioned).

42 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

"- What an absolute crock of crap!"

"- means nothing,"

"Incorrect, "

And only 20 posts in to his new TV user name. I think I know what the 'C' stands for in '1steveC'.

The four posts above by 1SteveC are all correct, and contain constructive comments. That is more than I can say for most of the others. I taught school in Thailand for fourteen years at four different jobs in two provinces.

1 hour ago, allane said:

The four posts above by 1SteveC are all correct, and contain constructive comments. That is more than I can say for most of the others. I taught school in Thailand for fourteen years at four different jobs in two provinces.

constructive comments!

"- means nothing,"

"Incorrect, "

The posts that he 'corrected' were all correct as well. If you've been here 14 years, you'll know rules change by the day, province, person, embassy.

PS

I've been here significantly longer than you if this is a penis length contest

2 hours ago, Loaded said:

"- means nothing,"

"Incorrect, "

And only 20 posts in to his new TV user name. I think I know what the 'C' stands for in '1steveC'.

It stands for correct - that is why you do not have it in your user name  :-)

51 minutes ago, Loaded said:

The posts that he 'corrected' were all correct as well. If you've been here 14 years, you'll know rules change by the day, province, person, embassy.

Nope, the posts I corrected were not correct.

Please tell me which rules are changing by the day? This is a common myth, perpetuated by people who don't really know the facts.

7 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

Nope, the posts I corrected were not correct.

Please tell me which rules are changing by the day? This is a common myth, perpetuated by people who don't really know the facts.

You sound like you've just got off the plane.

You'll learn once you've been here at least a few weeks.

10 hours ago, Loaded said:

You sound like you've just got off the plane.

You'll learn once you've been here at least a few weeks.

It would appear that I have already learned more than you. I say again, please tell me which rules are changing by the day ?

PS I moved to Thailand a while ago, so not "just off the plane".

Let's stop with bickering.   I assisted with several different schools in several provinces.   The rules are supposed to be the same, but they are not.   If they are the same, how they are interpreted by the various government offices differs greatly.  

Archived