Thai wife says five paracetamol killed British husband

webfact

Thai wife says five paracetamol killed British husband

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A Surin wife told police she believed that five paracetamol and a glass of orange juice killed her healthy British husband.

Police who arrived at a house in Ban Yayam village in Sikhoraphum district of Surin found 52 year old Neil Curtis sprawled on the ground by a hammock.

He was dressed only in shorts and there were no signs of injury.

He was already dead.

His distraught wife Nattha Bunjan, 45, told investigators that they had lived together for two years tending cattle and growing rice on 15 rai of land.

Her husband had just been to feed grass to the cows yesterday and returned home to have a rest. He complained of a headache and took five paracetamol washed down with some orange juice.

Then he lay down on his hammock. Within moments she said that he fell off the hammock. She ran and tried to raise him up as he beat his chest with his fist saying that he had chest pains.

He passed out dead in her arms almost immediately and she called police.

In tears Nattha told the officers that her husband was a very healthy man who had no illnesses. The last time he saw a doctor was over a year and a half ago.

She blamed the paracetamol and orange juice.

Daily News did not report any other details.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-08

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your times up ,just read yesterday a former Newcastle United player,

now playing in China,Cheick Tiote  aged 30, just dropped dead on the pitch,

RIP, to both.

regards Worgeordie

First taking 5 paracetamol is foolish. Secondly if he was a drinker, 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver. This is well documented with this common painkiller. Read the label folks and don't be stupid.

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very distressing for the wife, but at least he didnt suffer.

When your numbers up its up.

A bit young, but I agree with your sentiments. When I go I hope it's this way - quick. Regarding the wife - just hope his affairs were in order,  with a will made, etc.. That's one potential disadvantage of a quick, unexpected death.

Five paracetamol is a bit much but isn't enough to cause death by overdose, so probably some kind of heart problem. Wonder if taking aspirin, as opposed to paracetamol, might've made a difference; I actually carry aspirin on me for just this sort of eventuality.

Also, probably didn't know he had a problem, relatively younger older guys (40s/50s) can tend to ignore health till there's some obvious symptom. I only found out about high BP in my 50s when I had some some dental work done.

4 minutes ago, Orac said:

Surely the headache that prompted him to take 5 paracetamol should be an indication that something was going wrong before he took the tablets.

Really, good point - if you have a headache something is wrong, people seem to take legal drugs like smarties these days! Personally I have no trust in "drug" companies, the $ is #1 for them! I have taken pain killers maybe 2 or 3 times in my life and I'm no spring chicken, seems the medical industry has convinced people they can't live without them now to the extent people worry about being near to a hospital as they consider it inevitable they will get sick! Modern life :shock1:

He felt a headache BEFORE he took the medicine.

My mother died at age 44 from a major blood artery problem in her brain.

She passed out giving my 5 year old younger brother a bath.

She latterly fell dead on top of my brother.

She was quite overweight.

Such things occur.

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

Really, good point - if you have a headache something is wrong, people seem to take legal drugs like smarties these days! Personally I have no trust in "drug" companies, the $ is #1 for them! I have taken pain killers maybe 2 or 3 times in my life and I'm no spring chicken, seems the medical industry has convinced people they can't live without them now to the extent people worry about being near to a hospital as they consider it inevitable they will get sick! Modern life :shock1:

No spring chicken but I bet an old rooter !:smile:

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

as recently  quoted in another post I made, took staff to hospital a few  days back, he  came out with 6 packets of different drugs to take..................all he has is a cold

20170606_123625.jpg

About 40 years back I revived a 28 year old found dead in his bathroom. It was found a brain aneurysm  (or something like that) caused his lungs not to work. At hospital his life support was turned off....:sad:

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:
2 hours ago, chopin2 said:

I'd wait for the toxicology report, to find out what else was in orange juice.....

Wow, that took 9 posts, usually it's the second or third post on this forum

Yer Chopin was late getting up this morning..................:coffee1:

3 hours ago, tonray said:

First taking 5 paracetamol is foolish. Secondly if he was a drinker, 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver. This is well documented with this common painkiller. Read the label folks and don't be stupid.

" 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver."

This is true - but it would not have killed him - at least not immidiately

3 hours ago, Orac said:

Surely the headache that prompted him to take 5 paracetamol should be an indication that something was going wrong before he took the tablets.

As a non medical person I sometimes get a headache and take 2 Tylenol 500 mg tablets with water for it. It usually goes away after a couple of hours and if not I take 2 more 6 hours or so later.

So far, touch wood, I have never needed more than 4 tablets.

Paracetamol will take a few days to kill and 2500 mg is not a fatal dose, she is lying or just wrong

24g of Paracetamol is generally accepted to be a fatal dose. The lowest amount of Paracetamol to cause death was found by one study to be 10g. As for Paracetamol of 500mg per tablet, it is generally recommended to take no more than 8 tablets (500mg) within 24 hours, and 24 to 30 tablets taken at one time can lead to overdose or even death.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As a non medical person I sometimes get a headache and take 2 Tylenol 500 mg tablets with water for it. It usually goes away after a couple of hours and if not I take 2 more 6 hours or so later.

So far, touch wood, I have never needed more than 4 tablets.

My take on this, just my opinion is you are treating the symptoms, not the cause, which appears to have been what the was doing? If I had to take pain medication I would want to know why? your body is telling you something is amiss! seriously amiss in this deceased fellows instance!

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Paracetamol will take a few days to kill and 2500 mg is not a fatal dose, she is lying or just wrong

24g of Paracetamol is generally accepted to be a fatal dose. The lowest amount of Paracetamol to cause death was found by one study to be 10g. As for Paracetamol of 500mg per tablet, it is generally recommended to take no more than 8 tablets (500mg) within 24 hours, and 24 to 30 tablets taken at one time can lead to overdose or even death.

I think she is just making an assumption as he took them and died soon after. If he had a bad headache which he thought taking para would fix but actually had a serious brain malfunction he/they knew nothing about then death will/could/did happen..

4 hours ago, nausea said:

Five paracetamol is a bit much but isn't enough to cause death by overdose, so probably some kind of heart problem. Wonder if taking aspirin, as opposed to paracetamol, might've made a difference; I actually carry aspirin on me for just this sort of eventuality.

Do you walk around with aspirin on you if you feel like taking 5 and fall dead to the ground, or what did you just say?

Archived