Thai wife says five paracetamol killed British husband

webfact

6 hours ago, tonray said:

First taking 5 paracetamol is foolish. Secondly if he was a drinker, 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver. This is well documented with this common painkiller. Read the label folks and don't be stupid.

Seriously, it sounds like one hell of a headache that he rightfully believed was killing him and probablty couldn't read the label. If a brain aneurysm chances of survival were slim to none under the circumstances and if I'm wrong my apologies in advance to all.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paulbj2 said:

What exactly is "plain water" if not mineral water? The stuff that comes out of the tap is not normally considered to be drinkable and the osmotically filtered stuff is actually dangerous to your health (as it contains no mineral salts) so what the hell is a person supposed to drink if not "mineral water" 

To me in Bangkok for over 30 years, plain water means filtered water from the tap that has been boiled and cool down.

Not those Perrier stuff...

7 hours ago, tonray said:

First taking 5 paracetamol is foolish. Secondly if he was a drinker, 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver. This is well documented with this common painkiller. Read the label folks and don't be stupid.

That's an understatement - it was idiotic and quite frankly hard to believe that any healthy person would take 5 x the recommended dose.

You're right about it being a liver-killer. I don't take it because I find it stresses my HEALTHY liver... one tablet. 5 would probably make me very sick.

Just now, tropo said:

As they are so cheap and available at 7Elevens, foreigners can stop jumping off balconies.

Can but not a nice death. They irretrievably shut down your body functions, kideys, liver etc.

Can take days to die.

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes if it was paracetamol.

25 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

Can but not a nice death. They irretrievably shut down your body functions, kideys, liver etc.

Can take days to die.

OK, let's scrap that idea then.

20 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

Rubbish.

It's one of the best analgesics we have. It just all depends what your taking it for..

I'm with Orton Road on this one - I have always found Paracetamol/actominophen to be pretty nearly completely useless as a pain killer for everything I have ever tried to treat with it. I used to take it occasionally for a headache at work when I had no other pain killers and my colleague had paracetamol in stock and it used to leave me, at very best, with half a headache if it had any effect at all. Me personally, I take Naproxen for any pain that warrants taking pain killers and I find that superbly effective (I occasionally suffer with gout and it is magic for gout). No scrip is needed for Naproxen here but it should NOT be abused as it is very harsh on the digestive tract (I always take a dose of Omeprazole with it to protect my stomach) and can increase the risk of heart attacks if taken regularly.

40 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

8 to 10 will definitely kill you

Not so! There is an antidote, acetylcysteine,  but it does need to be administered reasonably soon after the overdose (within about 8 hours, after which its efficacy declines fairly rapidly)

...basic human decency would warrant at least a blood test....

...never heard of a westerner ever taking 5 paracetamol....

...this also really sounds too specific.....

....not too much to ask to check his bloods...

....imagine if in all these cases ...that it was the Thai woman who had died...

...would there be suspicions...an investigation....???

....a little to naive to simply state....'no sign of struggle'....

But that him took 5 tablets show me that this are his normal dose of this painkiller. Maybe him had more problems that him use all the time a high dose like this.

I am a big guy 1.89m/125kg and take (if I really need it) only 2 tablets.

Also, be careful of medications prescribed and sometimes delivered from hospital pharmacies.  I discovered a medication prescribed by my doctor on two different occasions, that was given to me at a hospital pharmacy, to have come from two sources - one in India and the other from Australia.  I promptly refused the meds from India (who wouldn't?) and made them give me the Australian product.

Just now, Jonmarleesco said:

'She blamed the paracetamol and orange juice.'

She blamed the orange juice? Only if there were something in it besides oranges. 

And why the hell would a supposedly healthy man see the need to take five paracetamol?

Bad headache, if he has been having them for a while 5 may be the only thing that helps..Ever had Migraine...?

23 minutes ago, bheard said:

I regularly take 4 at a time. Any less does nothing.
Don't believe for a moment that paracetomols killed him.
Sounds like a heart problem.

You regularly... Unless you have a heart problem - for which doctors do tend to prescribe aspirin - why would you want to take four paracetamol on a regular basis?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Bad headache, if he has been having them for a while 5 may be the only thing that helps..Ever had Migraine...?

The report didn't make it sound as though it was something he regularly experienced.

Migraine? No. But a number of family members have had them. 

2 hours ago, Kabula said:

It's a fever reducer.  The medical definition says nothing about pain relief??

How does acetaminophen relieve pain? I’m always amazed that it can take my headache away—and reduce a fever—so quickly.

This month’s faculty expert, Ewan McNicol, assistant professor of anesthesiology, responds:

The short answer to this question is that we don’t fully understand how acetaminophen works. Commonly known by its brand name of Tylenol, acetaminophen belongs to a class of painkillers known as non-opioid analgesics. This class of drugs also includes aspirin, traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and naproxen, and the newer COX-2 inhibitors like celecoxib—popularly known as Celebrex.

Non-opioid analgesics work by inhibiting an enzyme known as cyclooxygenase (COX). COX is a catalyst for the conversion of a fatty acid contained in cell walls—arachidonic acid—to substances known as prostaglandins.

Prostaglandins serve a number of protective functions in the body, but they can also produce pain, inflammation and fever. They cause pain and inflammation after cell injury by a number of mechanisms, primarily at the site of the injury in the peripheral nervous system, that is, nerves outside the brain and spinal cord, but also in the central nervous system. They elevate body temperature by affecting the heat regulating center of a region of the brain known as the hypothalamus.

By blocking COX and, therefore, the subsequent production of prostaglandins in the central and peripheral nervous systems, non-opioid analgesics reduce both fever and inflammation. Acetaminophen, however, differs from the other non-opioids in that it does not block COX in the peripheral nervous system to an appreciable extent. It appears to reduce pain primarily in the central nervous system by more than one mechanism, possibly in part by inhibiting a form of COX known as COX-3, although this is the subject of much debate.

It is, therefore, considered to be a weak analgesic and does not possess anti-inflammatory properties. What this means to you is that acetaminophen is great for headaches, fever and minor aches and pains, but won’t reduce inflammation due to, say, a muscle sprain.

Do you have a question for “Ask the Professor”? Email it to [email protected].

http://tuftsjournal.tufts.edu/2008/04/professor/01/

Purely speculation, but it sounds like he may have had a severe stroke - my mother complained of a severe headache just before she had hers.  Fortunately, they rushed her to the hospital and she lived for another ten years in spite of having what the doctor's called an aneurysm that they thought she had apparently been born with, and only surfaced at age 66.   If memory serves me correct, the same symptoms FDR complained of just before he died.

8 hours ago, chopin2 said:

I'd wait for the toxicology report, to find out what else was in orange juice.....

do they know what a toxicology report is in this country?? It is a big word for them

More like some alcohol mixed with the juice

Archived