Why is Dong Tan Beach Being Destroyed?

WinnieTheKhwai

It appears the road is being widened, parking made available, and a walking promenade. Not sure

if it is the right thing to do but I do know that with just a little bit of effort those trees that were

destroyed could have simply been integrated into the new design. The small effort would have

been well worth it. Those trees were beautiful and would have added immediately to the look

and feel of the beach. It will take years for new/young trees to reach that size and stature.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to fit in a few million Chinese.

This is sad when elsewhere it is claimed the beaches are being returned to nature, for the tourists.

Here it is to get the tourists further down or perhaps provide a landing place for the boats to take them to Koh Larn.... if the latter, dear oh dear, huge coaches are next.

18 hours ago, fforest1 said:

This is criminal .....Absolutely criminal.....Some one should

be going to jail for this....

That strip of trees was beautiful....I loved walking there...

It was a island of paradise that I had hoped would be forgotten

about after they destroyed Jomtens main beach,and

built that crappy lifeless promenade...

VERY SAD.....

Also I bet they are going to plant lots and lots and lots

more bloody palm trees ...YAWN.....

They  destroy  every beach in thailand  , rather  see palm trees than those terrible pine needle trees they use to plant all over the place messy unkept beaches its the thai way its good lets fk it , they love to reinvent the  wheel

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have to fit in a few million Chinese.

This is sad when elsewhere it is claimed the beaches are being returned to nature, for the tourists.

Here it is to get the tourists further down or perhaps provide a landing place for the boats to take them to Koh Larn.... if the latter, dear oh dear, huge coaches are next.

I had assumed that the pavement work at Jomtien was to better accommodate [Chinese tourist] coaches - is this happening?

At least no one will be killed by a falling tree branch or coconut....  

I use beach  road to exercise , I don't spend time on the beach so no big deal for me but I would imagine a few tourists will move elsewhere. 

19 hours ago, mokwit said:

I had assumed that the pavement work at Jomtien was to better accommodate [Chinese tourist] coaches - is this happening?

As they are the majority tourist I think it likely, but personally I do not go down there these days. I am told Bali Hai is packed out and have seen coaches parked up and blocking roads all the way from the Tai/3rd Rd junction to Bali Hai. Sukumvit gets blocked some mornings by a long Q of coaches to get into Rubber World, and similarly Nua for the Gem centre. Tourists is money, but the roads in Pattaya are unable to cope.

The Beach Rd widening was supposed to be to ease traffic, but in reality it did not help other than make Beach Rd wide enough to become a market area which certainly chokes traffic,  I got stuck heading down Beach Rd from Nua by this.

On June 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Ulic said:

It appears the road is being widened, parking made available, and a walking promenade. Not sure

if it is the right thing to do but I do know that with just a little bit of effort those trees that were

destroyed could have simply been integrated into the new design. The small effort would have

been well worth it. Those trees were beautiful and would have added immediately to the look

and feel of the beach. It will take years for new/young trees to reach that size and stature.

No money in that is there?

11 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Isn't it an access road for the soon-to-be mall planned on the large plot of vacant land near the water park?

Well everybody is waiting for that to happen probably with some hotels and condos around and on top of it it but what makes u think it will be soon?is it the construction of the back access road only?

20 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Isn't it an access road for the soon-to-be mall planned on the large plot of vacant land near the water park?

The reconstructed roadway is only one meter wider and this construction ends well before the Rabbit (the White House) per a business owner with a vested interest. If the mall ever happens, access would be from Tappraya. 

9 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

The reconstructed roadway is only one meter wider and this construction ends well before the Rabbit (the White House) per a business owner with a vested interest. If the mall ever happens, access would be from Tappraya. 

Why is the beach being destroyed?  Because, when given a choice, some people would rather have a pile of costly dog turds instead of a pile of free diamonds.

9 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

When I looked the other day, it showed every sign of going further up the beach when they reach the current limit of devastation. Stopping where it is would make no sense - although admittedly that is usually irrelevant in Pattaya projects... and that plot of land is huge and currently difficult to access from the beach side. 

I guess we have to watch this space, but I strongly believe the mall is happening.

45 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

When I looked the other day, it showed every sign of going further up the beach when they reach the current limit of devastation. Stopping where it is would make no sense - although admittedly that is usually irrelevant in Pattaya projects... and that plot of land is huge and currently difficult to access from the beach side. 

I guess we have to watch this space, but I strongly believe the mall is happening.

That landplot is owned by a very rich Bkk Thai family is what i have been told its worth hundreds of millions baht.I agree its one of the best locations for Jomtien first seaside mall.

1 hour ago, sharecropper said:

I believe a mall could happen too. But there are two large plots of land, one on Tappraya and the other seaside, the question is were both plots sold or just Tappraya (rumor, bought by Siam Paragon group). If both plots sold, I envision multipurpose, condos seaside and shopping mall off Tappraya. In any case, widening the road to accommodate heavy traffic makes no sense. Also, the beach narrows considerably on the north end by VT3 and Adriatic Hotel, so any connectioning road to Pratumnak Soi 5 is impractical. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, sharecropper said:

Oh goody, Pattaya really needs more malls.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:24 PM, ThaiBob said:

I believe a mall could happen too. But there are two large plots of land, one on Tappraya and the other seaside, the question is were both plots sold or just Tappraya (rumor, bought by Siam Paragon group). If both plots sold, I envision multipurpose, condos seaside and shopping mall off Tappraya. In any case, widening the road to accommodate heavy traffic makes no sense. Also, the beach narrows considerably on the north end by VT3 and Adriatic Hotel, so any connectioning road to Pratumnak Soi 5 is impractical. 

I was just told (by a person who had a conversation with a top-level Thai) that the project will involve the construction of a road all the way to Pratumnak Soi 5.  I was also told that the road would be off limits during certain hours.  Who knows?  If so, all of the beauty that is left (already destroyed most of it) will be destroyed because of the project-- even past the waterpark, all the way to Soi 5.  What a disaster.  If I owned one of those condo units near the waterpark, and bought it for the peace and quiet and the old-growth forest below, I would be furious.  Soon to arrive:  BOOM TRUCKS at sunrise!

10 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

I was just told (by a person who had a conversation with a top-level Thai) that the project will involve the construction of a road all the way to Pratumnak Soi 5.  I was also told that the road would be off limits during certain hours.  Who knows?  If so, all of the beauty that is left (already destroyed most of it) will be destroyed because of the project-- even past the waterpark, all the way to Soi 5.  What a disaster.  If I owned one of those condo units near the waterpark, and bought it for the peace and quiet and the old-growth forest below, I would be furious.  Soon to arrive:  BOOM TRUCKS at sunrise!

Let's hope this hearsay is wrong. Some may be unaware that the current road is closed only between 10:00-18:00.

the nice old trees are removed as "they are causing injuries with falling down of large branches" and therefore replaced by palm trees - unbelievable and sad

someone making very big money with this project and damaging nature and quality at the beach

The key is the large sewer pipe they're installing underneath the new road. Rumor has it that the large empty plot of land between Jomtien Condotel and Pattaya Park is, at long last, being developed. A giant shopping mall, luxury hotel, and condo towers will be built sometime in the next five years -- sooner rather than later. 

All that effluence has to go somewhere. 

And road access for the tourists and tour buses will be essential. 

23 hours ago, MrJ said:

the nice old trees are removed as "they are causing injuries with falling down of large branches" and therefore replaced by palm trees - unbelievable and sad

someone making very big money with this project and damaging nature and quality at the beach

Tell that to my masseur who suffered damage to his eye after being struck by a falling coconut from a palm while giving a massage.

7 hours ago, prospero said:

The key is the large sewer pipe they're installing underneath the new road. Rumor has it that the large empty plot of land between Jomtien Condotel and Pattaya Park is, at long last, being developed. A giant shopping mall, luxury hotel, and condo towers will be built sometime in the next five years -- sooner rather than later. 

All that effluence has to go somewhere. 

And road access for the tourists and tour buses will be essential. 

How can we check if this rumor has any credibility?And which parties are involved in the development of that huge plot?

16 hours ago, Lumbini said:

I saw this B_ll S_it also emoji36.png

Large trees removed now will be replaced with palm trees so that branches do not fall and injure people in thunderstorms.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/vendors-grumble-jomtien-beach-overhaul-moves-dongtan-178541

Do not fall for the myth that the old-growth forest is being destroyed to protect people from falling branches.  I do not have actual data, but to the best of my knowledge only one person has been killed/injured from a falling branch from one of the old-growth trees over the past 30 years, and that took place in 2017.  They started destroying the old growth forest around 2002.  So, one act (i.e. injury/death by a falling branch) did not lead to the other (i.e. tree massacre).  No, something else is compelling the city to destroy the old-growth forest, and most of us know what that something is.

Archived