Good resource to find Univeristy Lecturing positions in Bangkok?

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

Half the world seems to be welcoming with open arms people who wouldn't be employable in the UK's HE system. All that matters in the UK is publishing articles. They claim otherwise, but the facts are against them. 

I'm sure, though, that there's massive resistance to taking on people in bog-standard universities for humanities teaching jobs. They'll doubtless thole a robotics expert because they don't have a local, but anyone can  - or so they think - teach economics or politics. So those 40,000-50,000 baht lecturing jobs will probably have a local's name on them. 

My college here in the UK is (supposedly) HE and FE, I've got some recent publications and I'm a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. None of that is any guarantee of anything, but it's not quite a BA and sod all else. 

The key is publications which are peer-reviewed and research which generates incoming funds. Research which is collaborative and generates funds even more so. Thai universities would like that as much as anybody else.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The key is publications which are peer-reviewed and research which generates incoming funds. Research which is collaborative and generates funds even more so. Thai universities would like that as much as anybody else.

Is that really the recruitment agenda of - for example - all the Rajabhats, all the private unis and the state unis like (apparently) Chiang Mai, which (I'm told) couldn't even attract and retain enough PhDs of any kind or stripe to retain its status? 

I think the idea that most of the humanities provision we're talking about is conducted by people who, in the interstices between trying to teach English through the medium of sociology, are filling in grant applications for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and Rand Corporation - with some prospect of success - is pretty fanciful.  

5 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Is that really the recruitment agenda of - for example - all the Rajabhats, all the private unis and the state unis like (apparently) Chiang Mai, which (I'm told) couldn't even attract and retain enough PhDs of any kind or stripe to retain its status? 

I think the idea that most of the humanities provision we're talking about is conducted by people who, in the interstices between trying to teach English through the medium of sociology, are filling in grant applications for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and Rand Corporation - with some prospect of success - is pretty fanciful.  

Those who have experience of working in the University sector will have some understanding of  where the Uni priorities are, contradictory or no. Secondly, nobody in HE 'teach(es) English through the medium of sociology'. There are humanities faculties and there are student support departments offering language support. Plenty of language support jobs around but that is not the same thing as subject tenure which I guess you are looking for. As for funding I am not referring to those inside the system but rather expats from outside who want an in. As for funding there are many sources of external funding, not just a few leading ones. But if we want some focus we can agree on then peer-reviewed research tops anything else. Quality of research counts. Last point is that the humanities subject area is just plain tough to get into. Plenty of competition. Better odds with STEM.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

nobody in HE 'teach(es) English through the medium of sociology'....

Everybody in HE is teaching English through philosophy, history, politics....

If you think otherwise you haven't seen the students' work. I spent a day going through a dissertation (borderline First, Russell Group) and it was like reading an ESOL "Correct this" exercise.  

14 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Everybody in HE is teaching English through philosophy, history, politics....

If you think otherwise you haven't seen the students' work. I spent a day going through a dissertation (borderline First, Russell Group) and it was like reading an ESOL "Correct this" exercise.  

Plenty of problems with student communication skills, but that isn't what I am talking about. Over and out.

• I agree with SheungWan, I dont like condescending look on thai HE from Craig krup, you need publications and skills to attract grant, and publications are pre-request for tenure track, also in chiang mai, 
  • it is funny that in sponsor content now is Uni from Thailand hahaha

34 minutes ago, LolaS said:
  • I agree with SheungWan, I dont like condescending look on thai HE from Craig krup, you need publications and skills to attract grant, and publications are pre-request for tenure track, also in chiang mai, 
  • it is funny that in sponsor content now is Uni from Thailand hahaha

Thai HE? Look at what I actually said. Unless Thai unis have started paying their Russell Group subs then I might have been talking about Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews or a number of others, but not a Thai uni. 

Ironically you make my point. Nobody reads anything closely. 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Plenty of problems with student communication skills, but that isn't what I am talking about. Over and out.

Ah, so there's something other than "communication skills" - broadly defined - that they're acquiring when they study (say) philosophy? What would that be, and what good would it do them? (Socratic question). Are they learning what to "put" in order to "achieve"? 

2 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Ah, so there's something other than "communication skills" - broadly defined - that they're acquiring when they study (say) philosophy? What would that be, and what good would it do them? (Socratic question). Are they learning what to "put" in order to "achieve"? 

I recall being on appointment panels where there was occasionally an odd-ball candidate (and sometimes from the FE sector) who would be seemingly more keen to rehearse their own agenda rather than directly answering questions from panel members. There might also be a pre-panel presentation by the candidates and sometimes it just all popped out. Even in this thread it seems.

12 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Thai HE? Look at what I actually said. Unless Thai unis have started paying their Russell Group subs then I might have been talking about Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews or a number of others, but not a Thai uni. 

Ironically you make my point. Nobody reads anything closely. 

what have to do Russell Group with ThaiVisa post? moderators please remove of the topics

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I recall being on appointment panels where there was occasionally an odd-ball candidate (and sometimes from the FE sector) who would be seemingly more keen to rehearse their own agenda rather than directly answering questions from panel members. There might also be a pre-panel presentation by the candidates and sometimes it just all popped out. Even in this thread it seems.

It certainly isn't hard to find people who completely misunderstand the nature and purpose of an education in the humanities. What's galling is that sometimes they insist on finding you. :smile:

Whatever panel it was that you sat on I'll bet a pound to a pinch of pig plop that it had nothing to do with the humanities. You don't realize you're doing it, but everything you write screams "prosaic and applied". Did old hands question whether it had a place in HE? I'd guess IT applications, rather than von Neumann, maths and all that. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2017 at 5:18 PM, LolaS said:

it is sad that you don't know,

Can you take a look English department, and sociology/political science? and let me know? since they have a lot of international programs there.

Hi LolaS, I assume you are an academic.  It is pretty misleading to use two letter abbreviations and not describe what they mean.

Research Gate appears to be a place to demonstrate your publications.  Does it offer jobs as well? or do you mean something else by RG?

On 1/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, manchega said:

Hi LolaS, I assume you are an academic.  It is pretty misleading to use two letter abbreviations and not describe what they mean.

Research Gate appears to be a place to demonstrate your publications.  Does it offer jobs as well? or do you mean something else by RG?

they posted year back, a position for Chula, lecturers with phd

On the state of HE in Thailand, I feel the students are let down badly.  Also feel there is little any non Thai can do to change this state of affairs.  You either do your research and ignore it or sit there being agreed with in word but ignored as a token staff member of little import.

50 minutes ago, manchega said:

On the state of HE in Thailand, I feel the students are let down badly.  Also feel there is little any non Thai can do to change this state of affairs.  You either do your research and ignore it or sit there being agreed with in word but ignored as a token staff member of little import.

Yeah, but taking that as a given, are there billets for washed up cynics who just want 40,000 baht a month and something to do to structure the day? :smile:

China seems desperate for "please teach us English while pretending that this is a subject class" candidates, but - with only a couple of partial exceptions - the air quality looks like a deal breaker. 

guess it does not matter if you are washed up or not, english or not, 40 k is whzt you get, no progression, no difference between unis

except chula and pcc each do about 100 k and 30 living or at least they did 5 years back or so

2 minutes ago, manchega said:

guess it does not matter if you are washed up or not, english or not, 40 k is whzt you get, no progression, no difference between unis

except chula and pcc each do about 100 k and 30 living or at least they did 5 years back or so

I could turn my PGCE into a school one and look to teach in an international school - good money - but I'd rather nail my feet to the table than teach kids. 

On 1/8/2018 at 9:36 PM, Craig krup said:

Yeah, but taking that as a given, are there billets for washed up cynics who just want 40,000 baht a month and something to do to structure the day? :smile:

China seems desperate for "please teach us English while pretending that this is a subject class" candidates, but - with only a couple of partial exceptions - the air quality looks like a deal breaker. 

are you talking about the position for PhD?

that is extremely low and not reliable info.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 7:22 PM, Craig krup said:

Anything around 50-60 a month would be fine if I enjoyed the teaching. I can barely spend 20. I could change my PGCE (teaching certificate) to one for the schools, but I don't think I could be bothered teaching kids. I want to talk about John Locke, and whether he has a two-stage theory, I don't want to yell farang-slogans. 

Mind you, the latter might be what you'll do in the unis :smile:

I've only seen one uni job paying 60. It was big school right outside BKK, seems to churn thru instructors.

Expect half that. Want to make a living wage, teach secondary school or stay in PNH.

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, Kyoshi said:

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if it was the same university, but in case someone was looking for a lecturer job at a university down south, there are many vacancies at Walailak University.

lecturers-at-walailak-university-international-college/

That is an interesting job ad for someone to have followed up. Note that these posts are for subjects which have an applied focus.  Aspects of philosophy isn't one of them. OK, the salary quoted is not so hot, but if one's first F/T employment in HE it shouldn't matter. With 2/3 years experience under one's belt a potential springboard for further employment back home or elsewhere. Sometimes it is an opening like this that levers up the later career doors. (PS don't know of any other factors concerning this uni....someone mentioned it was down South).

HI Sheungwan,

it won't be just the salary, it will be the normal lack of insurance, lack of pension, lack of progression, lack of definable objectives

I get you are trying to put a postive spin on it

thing is if you are not covered by insurance then you should never put yourself in a position where you are supervising young people that may be killed, die, become maimed etc, under your charge.

because the uni will not help you.

Would recommend any reading Big danger sign in red you have been warned

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, manchega said:

it won't be just the salary, it will be the normal lack of insurance, lack of pension, lack of progression, lack of definable objectives

Only on the basis of the announcement:
"salary" - right! However, point 3 says "start 52.000" - it means that depending on the experience/position etc. it may be better.
"normal lack of insurance" - point 4 states "medical and other benefits" - I believe it is about insurance.
"no pension" - again point 4 states "including provident fund" - I think it is a Thai equivalent of pension and, as far as I know, a very important factor for Thai lecturers. For Westerners - not so much, but it depends on how long you want to stay in this uni or in general in Thailand.
"no progression" - nothing in this ad - I think it is an individual thing and can happen anywhere, but I agree that Thai unis can happen more often.
"lack of definable objectives" - nothing in this ad - It depends on the uni, but again I agree that in Thai Unis it can happen more often than in other parts of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:23 PM, Kyoshi said:
Only on the basis of the announcement:
"salary" - right! However, point 3 says "start 52.000" - it means that depending on the experience/position etc. it may be better.
"normal lack of insurance" - point 4 states "medical and other benefits" - I believe it is about insurance.
"no pension" - again point 4 states "including provident fund" - I think it is a Thai equivalent of pension and, as far as I know, a very important factor for Thai lecturers. For Westerners - not so much, but it depends on how long you want to stay in this uni or in general in Thailand.
"no progression" - nothing in this ad - I think it is an individual thing and can happen anywhere, but I agree that Thai unis can happen more often.
"lack of definable objectives" - nothing in this ad - It depends on the uni, but again I agree that in Thai Unis it can happen more often than in other parts of the world.

well I think you will find there is only one university in thailand where career progression is possible in the contract.

yes we can progress, but, does it come with equivalent contract, remuneration

Just providing a counter view to anyone reading this thread.

I mean just providing a realistic view....

On 2/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, manchega said:

well I think you will find there is only one university in thailand where career progression is possible in the contract.

yes we can progress, but, does it come with equivalent contract, remuneration

Just providing a counter view to anyone reading this thread.

I mean just providing a realistic view....

ridiculous and untrue. 

words where are your facts? show me a contract that does not need to be started once a year?  yes black out the personal info. but show me the long term contract 

also highlight the performance review and outcome within that contract

if I see I will change my mind,

as it is only one university does so

every other university will have the alien signing a new contract every year with the option to cancel your contract every year

1 hour ago, manchega said:

words where are your facts? show me a contract that does not need to be started once a year?  yes black out the personal info. but show me the long term contract 

also highlight the performance review and outcome within that contract

if I see I will change my mind,

as it is only one university does so

every other university will have the alien signing a new contract every year with the option to cancel your contract every year

that is part-time position, non-tenure!!!! totally different kind of job.

Archived