Good resource to find Univeristy Lecturing positions in Bangkok?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I have shared many times information which comes direct and clear from the director of my uni., a full mainstream government controlled uni. And I've had the exact same details from old colleagues from other full mainstream government controlled unis., where I have worked previously.

You claim it's incorrect, and in areas where several universities say something consistent but you claim it's incorrect. 

One difference, which I mentioned many days ago, is in terms of length of contracts etc., being perhaps different at full state mainstream government unis., compared to other unis., run under different controls / ownerships. I didn't notice any response from you. 

I don't intend to play any games with you, just trying to get a clear understanding. 

show the proof that universities are not allowed to hire foreigners... utter nonsense. and they can also have long term contracts.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LolaS said:

show the proof that universities are not allowed to hire foreigners... utter nonsense. and they can also have long term contracts.

I never said that universities are not allowed to hire foreigners, or anything even similar.

Again, it seems we have the point about pure government controlled / funded universities and the rules / regulations involved re employment contracts, compared to universities that sit outside of pure government controlled / funded universities and possibly quite different ownership.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:43 PM, LolaS said:

still not seen an example of such a contract.  you can redact all personal info. I have no interest in knowing your wage...... I know exactly what the top uni - there is only one in thaialnd offers

but they do not have a long term contract, or if they do it has only come about very very recently and that is at a thai wage - 40 k or less a month , don't beleive you get the big housing allocation anymore and 

I also beleieve the contract to require signing every year along with renewal of visa every year

On 3/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, manchega said:

still not seen an example of such a contract.  you can redact all personal info. I have no interest in knowing your wage...... I know exactly what the top uni - there is only one in thaialnd offers

but they do not have a long term contract, or if they do it has only come about very very recently and that is at a thai wage - 40 k or less a month , don't beleive you get the big housing allocation anymore and 

I also beleieve the contract to require signing every year along with renewal of visa every year

they have longterm contracts, yes they are thai wage but I dont see the problem with that. You are wrong, only contract that is sign every year is for part-time positions, adjunct, and foreign language positions. so-called non-tenure track 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, scorecard said:

I never said that universities are not allowed to hire foreigners, or anything even similar.

Again, it seems we have the point about pure government controlled / funded universities and the rules / regulations involved re employment contracts, compared to universities that sit outside of pure government controlled / funded universities and possibly quite different ownership.

there are no government-controlled universities in Thailand, they have autonomy and are funded by the package or budget allocation.  

47 minutes ago, LolaS said:

there are no government-controlled universities in Thailand, they have autonomy and are funded by the package or budget allocation.  

Seems that you want to play semantics.

Would you agree that many Thai universities were started under government edicts or whatever words you like to choose and these universities must follow set rules (such as employment regulations) and must follow the numerous regulations set down by OHEC?

And what do you mean / include in terms of  '...they have autonomy'?

Just now, scorecard said:

Seems that you want to play semantics.

Would you agree that many Thai universities were started under government edicts or whatever words you like to choose and these universities must follow set rules (such as employment regulations) and must follow the numerous regulations set down by OHEC?

negative, many financial and work(labor) rules are not applicable or exempt for universities. 

Just now, LolaS said:

negative, many financial and work(labor) rules are not applicable or exempt for universities. 

I've never mentioned anything different on that specific point.

So are you saying they can do whatever they want or are you saying they (government funded universities) can just make their own regulations re employment contracts and more? 

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've never mentioned anything different on that specific point.

So are you saying they can do whatever they want or are you saying they (government funded universities) can just make their own regulations re employment contracts and more? 

they are exempt from labor law and financial laws that are applied to other entities. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 3:07 PM, scorecard said:

Just one more recent regulation, for positions where the lecturer must have a Ph.D, (Thai or foreigner) the holder must have long list of accredited and published research, at least several books published and many white papers published, plus the person must be able to provide 3 outstanding references from other accredited universities (can be anywhere in the world).

Plus universities are now not allowed to offer work permits to foreigners who don't fit this picture. So any work would be without WP, not a good scenario.  

In the last 12 months many foreigners who had worked for years as lecturers in Thai unis, with good / excellent reviews by students, have found themselves without work and little prospect of new employment.

So are you definitively stating that a university would not produce a WP for a standard bog EFL with BA and PGCE? That this statement is actually law? I ask this in reference to a top government university.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

So are you definitively stating that a university would not produce a WP for a standard bog EFL with BA and PGCE? That this statement is actually

law? I ask this in reference to a top government university.

I cannot answer your question.

The 'rules' I mentioned above are in regard to one government funded university (I will not give the name), and the post is now many months old. Just in the last 2 weeks we seem to be seeing some flexibility, lecturers (masters holders buth with no Ph.D.) told they can be employed with WP as long as they write one white paper a year and it's accepted by an accredited journal.

Further I cannot make comment in regard to teachers employed to teach English, that's not my subject area.

I am aware that the director (along with several other uni directors) recently spoke with the senior officers at OHEC asking for some flexibility but they left the meeting even more confused.

Further we were told some months ago that WPs cannot be issued to lecturers over 70 years old, that 'rule' seems to have now gone.

Yes all very confusing. 

Just to add more confusion one of my colleagues recently approached a non-government funded uni (not to teach English) and was told they would give the lecturer a yearly contract and a WP but both not renewed unless next year if he has not passed at least 4 more courses towards his masters.

He declined the offer because the monthly salary was 20,000Baht and he has to teach 2 courses per semester to get the 20,000 a month (no extra Payment for the 2 courses)  plus administrative duties. Any further courses per semester would be paid at 500Baht per hour and there would be one guaranteed extra course per semester.

The lecturer involved has in the last 4 or 5 months approached several non-government funded institutions and got a whole different story from each uni. Some laughed at any suggestion of a WP.

Yes very confusing.

All I can offer is to personally approach some universities and see what happens.

Maybe others have more up to date information.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

CMU and KKU are pretty good, and CMU is hard to get work at. They may not be Chula or Tham ,but that's mainly because they are up country.

To the PHds in business or marketing areas (with publications), Mahidol at Din Daeng are always advertising (a grey mini-skyscraper which is the Business School)

Eddy

• 2 weeks later...

I found my position by the “drop in” method. I do know that it was posted internally at the universities HR department, but I was told about it by someone I know whose spouse taught in my department at that point in time. I went to the faculty to apply but told that the department could hire me until I had gone through HR first.

All faculty jobs must be run through the campus-wide HR department. So I had to start at HR and do the full paper application, present my credentials (they were verified) etc... only after that was done was I finally I was approved to be interviewed by the Associate Dean of my faculty.

Only hourly “staff” jobs like clerical, maintenance and the like may bypass HR and be advertised and filled wholly within the department where the position exists.

From what I can gather, getting jobs in mid to upper tier academics here really is a hands-on adventure and less of an online search per se...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's better to start a new thread for this or put it here.

I'm looking for a position teaching accounting at a university for a decent salary.  From my experience, good positions are usually filled from contacts of people already working at the university.  Looking for full time, but would consider part time if it might lead to more later.

I'm very well qualified - 15 years experience teaching at unis in Asia, masters in accountancy, several years of industry work experience in US.

If someone knows of a position send me a private message.

Thanks

Archived