Customers scream "Scam!" as True Fitness shut up shop

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings,

The owner of True Fitness is Singaporean name Patrick Wee and he resides in Singapore!  To all the disgruntle female members please join WE Fitness Society!  And to males, join Fitness First!  Coach Mike must be laughing, laughing and laughing, me too!  I left True Fitness approximately 1.5 years ago due to broken equipments, gym was filthy, no hotwater and the gym stunk!

wefitness will close just as any other big gym with expensive rent. You are laughing now but crying soon.

9 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

One reads many odd and inaccurate things on these boards, but this one is worth commenting on more than others.  

Credit card companies will not refund you the money you spend at True Fitness if you tell your credit card company that you did not receive the goods or services you requested.  You can file a complaint with the credit card company, and they may contact True Fitness about the charges (depending on your card), but they will in no event refund you your money.   They will reverse the charges if True Fitness agrees to reverse the charges.

Merchants do not need to agree to reverse the charge, but you are right, they won't refund because to refund they need to get the money back from True, which they cannot do on an empty account.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

That is a real good point, I have had an accident back in the Netherlands I was doing sets with 100kg bench and I did not make the 8th rep. I was lucky that someone was downstairs.. called in someone else and the 2 of them got the weight off. Now with my powerrack I can place spotter bars (not perfect but it helps) However after years of training I know how much i can lift and just don't risk it at the last rep (if im unsure).

A home gym is nice if you have the space, the money and intent to stay here a long time else its really uneconomical. 

Yeah I can see how it would be hard to do the "roll of shame" with 100kg.  You're smart to forego the last rep; not worth the injury.

It may be a rare case, but I heard of a guy who suffered a cardiac arrest in the gym - probably triggered by the heavy squats he was doing.  If it weren't for the gym staff and the gym's AED, he'd be dead.

Despite all this, it's still my goal to get a home gym.

And I bet that they were still selling membership packages knowing
they're shutting shops.. only in Thailand....no one got a penny back
from the California  scam and no one will get a penny now...

Not only in Thailand. Lots of companies everywhere on verge of bankruptcy will stiil take on clients or memberships or charging fees right to the bitter end.

3 hours ago, fishbrando said:

It may be a rare case, but I heard of a guy who suffered a cardiac arrest in the gym - probably triggered by the heavy squats he was doing.  If it weren't for the gym staff and the gym's AED, he'd be dead.

It would be more believable & likely that the cardiac arrest was from years of abusing different type of roids than doing heavy squats.

Anything where you pay in advance is a risk.....

Used to happen in the UK gym memberships too.... a strong indicator was how they would push membership extensions, along the lines of '3 years for the price of one'  which might well precede a bankruptcy closure!

Pay monthly where you can.

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

well i'm not so sure about that as the transaction would have already been processed ....   the bank will not refund you just because the company closed shop.

You would be surprised at how good credit card companies are at refunding for services not provided.  Now if you had used a debit card, instead of a debit card, it would be a different story, at least in the USA.  Debit cards have much less protection.

This fitness thing is one of the reason I never joined even here in the USA.  They all want money up front, or want long term recurring billing that is very difficult to stop.  I want month to month.  I pay, I go in.  I don't pay, you don't let me in.  Now this particular operations sounds like they were losing money quite a while ago and towards the end of course stopped paying bills or even their staff.  Of course they won't tell new customers there were issues.  This is all prima facia evidence that could normally be taken to court against the company or its officers.  Good luck with that in Thailand

16 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

think most of us wise guys know it is better to pay as you go on everything in thailand. 

i know where your coming from and your dead right of course but i see many many TV members go the other route which of course always ends up going bad.

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

You would notify your credit card company and lodge a complaint. The card company will refund you the money.

Pretty sure the refund only comes where there has been an unauthorised transaction where the card or bank security has been breached, not a voluntary one.

20 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Pretty sure the refund only comes where there has been an unauthorised transaction where the card or bank security has been breached, not a voluntary one.

Wrong.

If you had online business you would know that for some customers, especially in USA, a phone call to tell that your didn't receive the products/service or it was not what you expected, then they are automatically refunded (money taken from seller account), and then the seller has to provide evidence that what customers paid for has been delivered.

years ago I learned to never trust anything to do with true/UBC! they are one and the same as far as service is concerned. BUT until competition is available we are stuck with it! but if competition  ever does happen, they will go broke in a week!

Another sign of the times.  There will always be some places that will last and lots that look okay

until they suddenly do this quick closing trick.  The staff will also be the last to know until just before

getting let go. Just do not pay for long term membership, especially if it looks like a real great deal,

then just like the stock market, keep an eye out for surprises.

Geezer

2 hours ago, MaxLee said:

That's why I never go to Fitness Centers in Thailand. Just train at home, in the park, where it's free and more flexible.

Free is the way to go, just use the gym provided in your condo building. That's what I do :smile:

27 minutes ago, captspectre said:

years ago I learned to never trust anything to do with true/UBC! they are one and the same as far as service is concerned. BUT until competition is available we are stuck with it! but if competition  ever does happen, they will go broke in a week!

True Fitness has nothing to do with UBC or True Corporation. As stated before, True Fitness is a chain owned and operated in parts of SEA by a Singaporean individual.

I'm surprised that he was even able to use the True name in Thailand without receiving a lawsuit.

21 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Free is the way to go, just use the gym provided in your condo building. That's what I do :smile:

I grew up watching Jack Lalane on TV.  Lots of ways to get fitness exercise.  Granted the centers are convenient and easy to use.  Good old fashioned squats and deadlifts with or without weight.  Bet you haven't done three sets of 20 of those in a while, flexing your glutes and quadriceps as you go.  Want to do lat rows? Get two chairs and put a broom handle or anything between them.  Now get under that and pull your self up.  I bet you have plenty of weight to pull.  Calf exercises are easy. Stand on the edge of the steps with your toes on the steps and go up and down as much as you can.  Need more weight?  Pick up just about anything around the house.  You want that six pack instead of the mini keg?  Basic ab crunches or situps (knees bent to reduce stress on lower back).  Triceps and Pecs?  Basic pushups are free and easy.  Do a couple of sets of those.  As your triceps strengthen your bicpes will follow also.  Want some biceps?  Gosh curl just about anything in the house.  Fill a bag or pillow case with stuff and bicep curl away.  I did all that as a kid and still do in spurts.  I love a gym and the energy one gets from there, but be selective.  If I ever get a home, I will have a good old fashioned universal gym in there.  They are cheap and relatively safe.  I am past the age where I want to clean and press 250 pounds or try heavy squats with a big bar on me

we know why folks buy these things... if you put a lot of money in then you will be encouraged to exercise by the sunk money.

but another morale to this is that it's on the wrong side of rapidly changing demographics.... and that that doesn't just apply to the 'fitness' industry. does it?

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

It would be more believable & likely that the cardiac arrest was from years of abusing different type of roids than doing heavy squats.

Certainly a possibility.

The main point is that lifting heavy weights may exacerbate any preexisting condition you have, whether self-inflicted or not, and if something happens, it's better to have people (and an AED) close by.

18 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

And before anyone bashes that this is thailand I can tell you that it happens in Canada and the US quite a bit

Surely no one on T-Visa is hackneyed enough to say that Kingstonkid---------:shock1:

Greetings,

I've been a member at True Fitness from 2013 through 2016.   After expiration of my membership, I would have renewed and continue working out but too many operational problems such as extremely loud music, equipment are old and broken, workout area is dirty and smelly and the restroom and shower facilities are filthy!  So, I left and joined WE Fitness Society!  So far, I'm a happy camper!

1 hour ago, bkkbudddy said:

After expiration of my membership, I would have renewed and continue working out but too many operational problems such as extremely loud music

The music is loud in the gym to give you a pump to get you motivated to lift. I see no problems with the music unless it was deafeningly loud or if they were playing Justin Bieber. What type of music did they play?

Worked out before I went into US Army as I was on a high school Tack team .  When I got out saw a gym opening up , checked out the equipment saw a few people working out but they were not fully open as a pool was being built and other stuff. Had 6 month a year memeberships . I figured I would check to see if their prices were normal. By the time I went back a week later they had already closed and were out of business. Happened so many times that the state of Mass passed regulations to protect consumers. I only sign up for monthly gym memberships or maybe up to 6 months. You also have to check the reputation of gym . The True company seemed to have complaints even in Singapore.

On 2017-6-9 at 5:52 AM, bbi1 said:

Why are they closing it? It's a great location and always looked busy

Will another company take over the lease and buy the gym's equipment?

4 years ago it was possibly the best located and best brand gym in Bangkok, along with the centralworld branch.  

But now you have fitness first and virgin in better locations and with far better facilities. No surprise true fitness felt the squeeze. 

4 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings,

I've been a member at True Fitness from 2013 through 2016.   After expiration of my membership, I would have renewed and continue working out but too many operational problems such as extremely loud music, equipment are old and broken, workout area is dirty and smelly and the restroom and shower facilities are filthy!  So, I left and joined WE Fitness Society!  So far, I'm a happy camper!

I switched to virgin for the same reason . Isn't WE something crazy like 6 grand a month?

6 minutes ago, the donger said:

4 years ago it was possibly the best located and best brand gym in Bangkok, along with the centralworld branch.  

But now you have fitness first and virgin in better locations and with far better facilities. No surprise true fitness felt the squeeze. 

True Fitness had the best location hands down. Virgin Active at EM Quartier has good equipment but Fitness First in Terminal 21 is too small and poorly equipped.

Gutted about True - so convenient to soi 23 where I am. Gonna have to get a motosai to EM Quartier which I find lacking in character.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:06 AM, NCC1701A said:

i was thinking about joining the True Arena gym in Hua Hin for the last six months.

about $850 USD a year.

Good thing I am a big procrastinator.

That one was still open. Just had a 3 month membership there. They also have Tennis School there so I would think it would stay open. They have tournaments scheduled until the end of the year.

Archived