Thailand ‘among top 20 most dangerous countries’ to visit

snoop1130

Thailand ‘among top 20 most dangerous countries’ to visit

By THE NATION

2c5c3d7a3e137762ae51f5a513195622.jpeg

THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey.

Of the 136 countries around the world covered by the World Economic Forum’s Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report, which was released last month, Thailand sits at 118th with a 4.0 score for safety and security for tourists. 

The index indicates a country’s exposure of tourists and businesses to security risks, considering serious harm such as violence and terrorism. 

While a score of seven is considered the best for visitors, Finland is ranked No 1 with a score of 6.7, while Colombia, regarded as the most dangerous country for travellers, is the lowest with a score of 2.6.

Among Asean countries, the Philippines is the most dangerous, placed 126th with a score of 3.6, and Singapore is at the top (6th and 6.5). 

The violence that flared in Thailand’s deep South in early 2004 took more than 6,800 lives. 

The southernmost provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, bordering with Malaysia, are the trouble hot spots. 

While historical and ethno-religious grievances are behind the bloody unrest in the predominantly Muslim region, the causes of the occasional attacks in Bangkok, notably since the 2014 military coup, are largely unknown. Authorities have no clear explanation. 

The latest bombing at the military-run Phramongkutklao Hospital in Bangkok took place on May 20, wounding more than 20 people. 

Investigations on that case and previous explosions have made little progress.

Responsible military units in the capital say the junta has plenty of measures to assure safety and security for tourists. 

“We have enough surveillance cameras in public places and security officials are working in many locations to closely monitor groups of people who have the potential to create trouble,” said Chalermphon Srisawat, commander of the Second Cavalry Division.

The military has also engaged with hotels where foreign guests mostly stay to take care of safety and security, he said. 

Hotel operators are required to submit their guest lists to authorities, he said.

However, the WEF report says that Thailand’s overall safety performance has barely improved, as it was 34th with a 4.4 score in 2017 from 35th with 4.3 in 2015. 

Other indicators include business environment, health and hygiene, information and communication technology openness, price competitiveness, environment sustainability and tourist service infrastructure. 

The country did well on tourism service infrastructure with a 5.8 score. The lowest score was found in cultural resources with only 2.8. 

Thailand welcomed nearly 30 million visitors with international inbound receipts of US$44.5 billion (Bt1.5 trillion) last year. Tourism is a key engine for the country’s economic growth. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317678

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-9

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please help me understand this article. 

It says thailand is in the top 20 most dangerous countries to visit. Then next it says the report places Thailand  118 out of 136 countries. with a placement of 4 . I do not know about the rest of you but 118 seems to not be in the top 20. What is this article trying to say?

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

It says thailand is in the top 20 most dangerous countries to visit. Then next it says the report places Thailand  118 out of 136 countries. with a placement of 4 . I do not know about the rest of you but 118 seems to not be in the top 20. What is this article trying to say?

#1 being the least dangerous eh!

It would have helped if they had said bottom 20, but you know these guys want to be near the top.

Melbourne, Australia has rampant crime of late. Forced home invasions, car jackings, aggravated burglaries and senseless crime.. In Bangkok I feel extremely safe and haven't had any issues, nor for anywhere in Thailand... Melbourne was the most liveable city but no longer... 

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Maths wasn't one of the reporters strongest subjects, after all this is Thailand.

It's certainly the most dangerous place I have ever worked, which includes South Africa and the Middle East.Those places you only needed to worry about the non uniformed criminals.

I am sure we will hear some garbage denial in the morning, explaining how they haven't taken something totally insignificant into account, that changes nothing other than a semblance of "face" being saved, but ignores reality. Which also means they will do nothing to improve it either.

1 hour ago, owenm said:

Melbourne, Australia has rampant crime of late. Forced home invasions, car jackings, aggravated burglaries and senseless crime.. In Bangkok I feel extremely safe and haven't had any issues, nor for anywhere in Thailand... Melbourne was the most liveable city but no longer... 

Hobart has now become the most liveable city

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

You could say multiculturalism has created a safer Australia old son, she once was the lucky country until the politicians changed the rules, took the gravy away and left nothing for the workers and expats, just keeps throwing money at the M's, that or I am delirious.

The aborigines have always found Australia unlucky! 

Maths wasn't one of the reporters strongest subjects, after all this is Thailand.

Thailand might be sharing same score with the bottom pack so it's ranked top 20 in the list score wise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Math is no longer my strong point but I believe they stated it correctly = the 'top' spot, #1 is the safest(= Finland) and the bottom spot #136 is the most dangerous and since Thailand came in at #118 that means it is among the 20 worst or most dangerous places....I think. 

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's certainly the most dangerous place I have ever worked, which includes South Africa and the Middle East.Those places you only needed to worry about the non uniformed criminals.

I am sure we will hear some garbage denial in the morning, explaining how they haven't taken something totally insignificant into account, that changes nothing other than a semblance of "face" being saved, but ignores reality. Which also means they will do nothing to improve it either.

sad but true. Denial is the way this will go. Businesses are suffering everywhere, tourist numbers have plummeted and in general the economy is on its backside,,,,,,, all true, unless of course you talk to Thai officials or expats in denial of the state of their choice of new home... Thailand - cheap booze, hookers, ladyboys, sex tourists, corruption and not much else really,,, sad but true.

I didn't read the full article because I seen immediatly that it was pure B/S.

If one thinks Thailand is right up there for crime and violence then they have never been to Europe (all of it but some countries worse than others). I have never been to the USA so cannot comment.

I still look on in amazement after 17 years in this country when I see people walking around with phones half sticking out of back pockets (the phone wouldn't last 5 mins. in my country it would be gone in the blink of an eye and my country has the name ...."land of Saints and Scholars").

I see bars, businesses and homes leave furniture, plants and all sorts of stuff out all night without fearing it will be gone the next morning.

I see people leave tools and valuble stuff in the back of pick up's. I could go on and on without fear.

In Europe you have to make sure everything is locked and bolted to the floor. I know plants and garden furniture are constantly stolen and end up in a Sunday market in another part of the country. They even rob public statues, nothing is safe. It's no surprise if your roof is missing when you wake up some morning.

Role on Thailand where old, young, ladies, children and men are still relatively safe walking alone for a strole in the evenings.

12 hours ago, owenm said:

To say nothing about European countries.

Towns like Amsterdam. Copenhagen, Berlin and London are extremely unsafe.

The same things you mention plus stabbings are happening there on a daily basis.

It is not safe to leave your home after dark and walk the streets.

I have a sister in Europe who walks her dog under protection of two burly neighbors.

I feel extremely safe in Thailand and can walk the street any time of the day or night.

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Must be No. 1, in the falling from balconies category.

regards worgeordie

And for savage kicking to the head from all directions, but mostly from behind, to the young - through to the elderly!

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

as long as you dont get involved with the cops, even then you are ok if you have the money to pay them off. i would have thought most of africa, central and south america would have been worse than thailand.

In my younger years, long time ago, I got taken in by the cops 2 times because of a fight with bargirls who called the cops and you know what?

Both times they told me I was free to go as I were not arrested but the bargirl was.

I could release them by signing a paper that I would not complain or they would stay locked up, so I signed and they got released.

No money did change hands and was not asked for.

It's not clear if this takes into account road accidents, boating accidents, potential for drowning and falling off balconies,  as the article appears to concentrate on crime but, like many TV members, I find Thailand a safer place to walk the streets than many cities in Europe,   Africa as well as North and South America.

"...high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services,..."

You can rely on police services. They will do what you want if paid properly.

However, after obvious fact regarding serve and protect segment, the article spends rest of article talking about southern insurgency, terrorism, army, etc.....

Where is critical look at police?

If you stay away from the Southern provinces just like in the philipines it would appear to be a lot safer already.I remember from the Philipines that you do not go to an ATM after dark alone,anywhere!Never had that problem here.

I do not think i am in denial when i say i feel a lot safer here than in my hometown in the old country.

You have to be street wise but unfortunaly still alot of people leave their brain at the airport.

Walking around drunk with a strong sense of self entitlement would get you in trouble anywhere.

29 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I didn't read the full article because I seen immediatly that it was pure B/S.

If one thinks Thailand is right up there for crime and violence then they have never been to Europe (all of it but some countries worse than others). I have never been to the USA so cannot comment.

I still look on in amazement after 17 years in this country when I see people walking around with phones half sticking out of back pockets (the phone wouldn't last 5 mins. in my country it would be gone in the blink of an eye and my country has the name ...."land of Saints and Scholars").

I see bars, businesses and homes leave furniture, plants and all sorts of stuff out all night without fearing it will be gone the next morning.

I see people leave tools and valuble stuff in the back of pick up's. I could go on and on without fear.

In Europe you have to make sure everything is locked and bolted to the floor. I know plants and garden furniture are constantly stolen and end up in a Sunday market in another part of the country. They even rob public statues, nothing is safe. It's no surprise if your roof is missing when you wake up some morning.

Role on Thailand where old, young, ladies, children and men are still relatively safe walking alone for a strole in the evenings.

Halleluyah, Amen.

Very true!

7 minutes ago, bandito said:

In my younger years, long time ago, I got taken in by the cops 2 times because of a fight with bargirls who called the cops and you know what?

Both times they told me I was free to go as I were not arrested but the bargirl was.

I could release them by signing a paper that I would not complain or they would stay locked up, so I signed and they got released.

No money did change hands and was not asked for.

how many years ago was that? every time i or my friends have dealt with them they want money, even to do a report.

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

how many years ago was that? every time i or my friends have dealt with them they want money, even to do a report.

Ha,Ha,Ha a lot, about 40 yrs as I am 80 now.

As of late I have not been in any fights with bargirls. :cheesy::cheesy:

Archived