Thailand ‘among top 20 most dangerous countries’ to visit

snoop1130

This crops up at least twice  a year, depends on what u do and where you live, like most other places and countries, if you did some of the things idiot tourists try to do you'd be in trouble in your own country, I've never been in trouble over thirty years in dealing with Thailand..................:coffee1:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Well, I'm happy here. Feel safer here than home. Everybody else can do what they like.  Bitter enders need to take stock of themselves and see if its worth living when every day all you do is gripe and complain.

Bitter enders are struggling to get through the dangers in Thailand each day. If they're not getting fleeced by the police for wearing socks with sandals, they're being set upon by gangs of cowardly Thai men envious of the bitter enders' bulging crotches and wallets.

After dodging motorbike taxis on pavements, they just manage to avoid getting run over on zebra crossings by Thai men in Honda Accords undertaking each other at high speed. but sadly they're not safe even when they get  home coz the Thai wife has just bought  bitter ender an insurance policy leaving her and her 'brother' as the sole beneficiaries. 

But they don't go home coz danger is better than boredom.

I think the following say all that needs to be said about the survey. Ranking for the Safety and Security index which forms part of the overall index - number 60 Zimbabwe, 73 Zambia, 82 Namibia and 84 USA. Anybody that have real life experience of these countries will know the index does not correspond with what you will find in real life. For example if you should be involved in a serious injury in Zim or Zambia you have a very good chance of dying because there is no modern health care available, compared to Namibia and the USA. There is no safety standards in Zim and Zambia, the police must be bribed to get anything done or to get off fake cases/fines. Another fake report.

'Not saying the sky is falling. It's not. There's no calamity or civil war clouds looming.  The situation, for expats, is more akin to that of the frog in the stewpot very gradually coming to a boil.  This is just one aspect on a long and growing list.  But inch by inch, month by month, baht by baht, one snatch or assault at a time, the scrutiny of, burden on, and risk to, foreigners, esp. westerners, increase.  Expats who still have any choice left at all really need to stop doubling down on their denial and instead start dusting off their exit strategies and Plan Bs.

47 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

'Not saying the sky is falling. It's not. There's no calamity or civil war clouds looming.  The situation, for expats, is more akin to that of the frog in the stewpot very gradually coming to a boil.  This is just one aspect on a long and growing list.  But inch by inch, month by month, baht by baht, one snatch or assault at a time, the scrutiny of, burden on, and risk to, foreigners, esp. westerners, increase.  Expats who still have any choice left at all really need to stop doubling down on their denial and instead start dusting off their exit strategies and Plan Bs.

I was the target of 2 attempted muggings in Bristol UK in the 1970s and two break-ins. 

I've been in Thailand since the late 1980s and am still waiting to be assaulted.

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

I was the target of 2 attempted muggings in Bristol UK in the 1970s and two break-ins. 

I've been in Thailand since the late 1980s and am still waiting to be assaulted.

Lol.  Yeah, nobody stuck a fork in the frog either 'til he was "done".  And hey, so you're still enjoying that "warm soak"; I get it!   Don't worry, it gets warmer.

But thank-you for your terminally anecdotal experience.  So persuasive.

I DID say to just dust off the plan, not flee in a panic for the border...

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

Lol.  Yeah, nobody stuck a fork in the frog either 'til he was "done".  And hey, so you're still enjoying that "warm soak"; I get it!   Don't worry, it gets warmer.

But thank-you for your terminally anecdotal experience.  So persuasive.

I DID say to just dust off the plan, not flee in a panic for the border...

On what basis do you say things are getting any warmer for farangs?

4 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Yeah, right!

I was once robbed in XYZ and have never been robbed in Thailand!

Ergo: Thailand is toooootally safe!

30 years of walking the streets, sois and fields of Thailand, it's called personal experience.

6 hours ago, Usernames said:

Well, I'm happy here. Feel safer here than home. Everybody else can do what they like.  Bitter enders need to take stock of themselves and see if its worth living when every day all you do is gripe and complain.

Agree!  

If you are expecting danger it will find you.  For those of us just wanting to lead normal lives here it is super safe.

47 minutes ago, Chama1 said:

The most dangerous part of visiting Thailand may be the Thai police! In addition, all of the efforts listed to make Thailand safer in this article are reactive, not preventive. 

Come on, I just brought my dog to a policeman for the few days I'm in BKK :smile:

I have to grin when his wife struggles with the bills at the end of the month, complaining that every policeman but him take bribes. He might just be too lazy to step outside the office...:shock1:

BTW, they (goverment) just said, the survey is based on outdated data, so Thailand is safe, let's move on! 

On 6/9/2017 at 8:44 PM, owenm said:

Melbourne, Australia has rampant crime of late. Forced home invasions, car jackings, aggravated burglaries and senseless crime.. In Bangkok I feel extremely safe and haven't had any issues, nor for anywhere in Thailand... Melbourne was the most liveable city but no longer... 

Spending much time in the deep south these days ?

Statistics some times  dont offer a clear picture.

All countries have cultures and subcultures with different demographics attached to them. These demographics tend to skew statistics.

This is just an observation and attempts no value judgement.

The safety level of a drunk sex-pat in a particular location   will differ from the safety level of a  man on Buddhist retreat   at another location. (two extreme examples)  remove one or the other from the stats and the picture changes.

This can be true for Thailand, the US , Europe etc.

I could not possibly disagree more, with this ridiculous study. Do I worry about terrorism here? No. Why? It just does not even occur to me, on a daily basis that it is a threat. Do agree that Thailand is dangerous for foreigners? Yes. But, for completely different reason. The roads. 

One of the primary reasons is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. And most of the deaths on the road here fall squarely on the small shoulders of Little P. for his utter and complete refusal to address traffic and public safety. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

On 6/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, Chama1 said:

The most dangerous part of visiting Thailand may be the Thai police! In addition, all of the efforts listed to make Thailand safer in this article are reactive, not preventive. 

Prevention requires the ability to look into the future, and see an end result. It requires vision, planning, and foresight. It requires a progressive mind. Enough said? 

Archived