What gift to buy for my life saver in pool ?

susanschwaiger

I am just a swim beginner. Yesterday, in Centara Hotel, I entered the 3.8M diving area by mistake. 

When I was tired and wanted to rest, I found my feet couldn't reach the ground and stand up.

I struggled up and down for breathing.   There were some people swimming on the other side and no one noticed me. And my hub and kid were far way in the kid zone....

Several times my head was above water but I couldn't utter a sound for help. I started to feel scared and desperate . All I could do is to flip my palm rapidly , hoping to send out s signal.

Luckily, Very soon, a safety staff swam to me to pulled me up.....

Although I already thanked him right away, I still want to buy a proper present for him.

Could any one give me some advice ?

Thanks so much in advance !!!!

Contact the GM of the hotel. He/She will definitely recognise the member of staff amongst his peers and may qualify him for a performance prize. This will be recorded on his personal file.

Oh.... and learn to swim for the sake of your family.

Difficult to suggest a suitable gift without knowing how much you want to spend.

A gift of cash might be a bit crass, but probably appreciated more than anything else.

How about gold jewellery - maybe a small Buddha pendant. Then he could sell it if he needs the cash.

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Difficult to suggest a suitable gift without knowing how much you want to spend.

A gift of cash might be a bit crass, but probably appreciated more than anything else.

How about gold jewellery - maybe a small Buddha pendant. Then he could sell it if he needs the cash.

I think Gold is a very good idea. Easily converted to cash if he chooses.

I really don't know what to get him. Maybe a bottle of wine or a gift voucher for a restraunt. But best gift to yourself is learning to swim so that doesn't happen again. Simple treading water is easy enough to master at one go.

Two years ago in khao Lak I pulled a ten-year-old Chinese kid off the bottom of the deep end of a pool, got him over to the side and out. He was unconscious with no respiration or pulse. After two cycles of CPR, he puked in my mouth and disgorged (what seemed like) several gallons of water from his lungs, stomach and sinuses. His heart started, he started breathing and 'came to'. The parents brought me a can of Singha and three cans of Chang from the store when they came back from taking him to the clinic. The resort gave me a complimentary fruit plate.

I assume the person who saved you is Thai. If so, I would strongly advise against something like flowers, gift voucher for restaurant, or a bottle of wine. These are western ideas of how to express thanks which some Thais (especially poorer ones) find incomprehensible. The best suggestion so far is a small solid gold Buddha pendant. It shows respect, and can be converted into cash without the embarrassment of putting an exact financial value on his actions (or your life).

5 hours ago, tolsti said:

Contact the GM of the hotel. He/She will definitely recognise the member of staff amongst his peers and may qualify him for a performance prize. This will be recorded on his personal file.

Oh.... and learn to swim for the sake of your family.

I would agree. Best possible present. 

Ask some questions discreetly about his circumstances. That might give you some ideas. Although I would think gold is probably the best gift for his actions. A gold Buddha might not be appropriate if he is some other religion.

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

It's Thailand; money is always an acceptable gift.

As already suggested write a letter including some of the details to the Manager praising the worker and hand deliver the letter to the Manager directly. As that you wish to meet the worker to thank them. Place any amount you feel comfortable with 2000 minimum but 5000B is the best amount in this case, in a "Red envelope" (good luck) and hand directly to the worker.  Make a big deal out it (because it was). Thais like pomp and stance presentations in front of other employees.

To get confidence......practice (in the shallow end) holding your breath and swimming around under water, as you get more comfortable you will float to the surface.....my pal and I taught ourselves to swim by doing this....we were 5 or 6 at that time......and were fed up with waiting for the tide to rise

It's important to get used to not being alarmed by having your head under water

16 hours ago, janpharma said:

Why doesn't Thailand provide an Insurance Policy at reasonable price? (i.e. not overpriced and not limited by age)

The price of insurance reflects the risk taken by the insurance company. Actuaries calculate what the premium should be for certain risks, based on statistical data.  The company accepting the risk is entitled to, indeed must, make a profit.

If the premium was the same, regardless of age, younger people would be paying a lot more for a lower risk, so they wouldn't bother insuring.

16 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

You have a good point but I wonder why the welfare states that have very long hospital waiting lists don't actually encourage people to have treatment overseas.  After all, if it actually costs as much as they say to treat someone why not let them be treated overseas and foot the bill for the patient up to what it would cost to have the treatment done at home?  It may even save them money and there could be the expectation of a co-payment from the patient who would be saved the expense of a return flight for treatment.

The reason given to me by my health insurer was 'FRAUD', so prevalent in SE Asia, easy to set up, and difficult to prove.

Archived