Students suffer mass hysteria as they attend an ethical course

webfact

Students suffer mass hysteria as they attend an ethical course

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37S6UJkYOtnjI9ktgDQLYrQK

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- About 30 students of a school in Ubon Ratchathani province were taken to the provincial hospital on Saturday after they suffered from mass hysteria as they attended an ethical training course in a temple.

Rescue workers were rushed to Wat Supattanaramvoraviharn in Muang district after they were told that some 30 students suffered cramps and hyperventilation while they were attending an ethical course.

A doctor at the hospital who treated the students said they suffered from mass hysteria due mainly from stress.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/students-suffer-mass-hysteria-attend-ethical-course/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-12

The story has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese. Clearly something is missing here. Most obviously, what activities preceded the hospitalisation of the students?

Many of the activities I have attended and witnessed over the years in Thailand that were passed off as "team-building", "ethics", "risk management" and also religious and cultural ceremonies very quickly default to activities that consolidate a patronage relationship.

These kind of activities put great emphasis on obedience and often involve the "clients" (in this case, the schoolkids) having to stand still and listen for hours or follow pointless direction to sit, stand, wait, etc. again for hours. These activities instil obedience and weed out those who do not wish to obey and defer. This is the true aim of the activity.

I suspect something along these lines occurred and dehydration, perhaps from sitting in the heat for hours, was the medical reason for the problems.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Wrong headline, should have read, students suffered mass hysteria, after attempted brain washing at a temple.

If I were a Thai student and somebody would have told me that slave labor, human trafficking, endemic corruption, killing after loss of face, cheating in exams, and speak out the truth is unethical, I would definitely suffer from cramps and hyperventilation too.

They were probably just laughing hysterically at anyone learning ethics from a bunch of robed reprobates whose antics have brought shame not only to a major religion but an entire country.

Happens to women when there's a threat. They must have been subjected to some kind of trauma as a means of psychological manipulation. Prolonged tenseness or several people fainting could conceivably trigger it, but more likely the students were whipped into a kind of 'spiritual' fervour.

Would be very interested to hear more details.

8 hours ago, robertthesculptor said:

No detail of what "ethics" would cause 30 kids to go into shock. Some one is hiding a story that needs telling

Possibly fear parents a defamation suit if full details were published.

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Odd story. 

Did this temple try and teach them the 'real' teachings of Buddha? I think many locals would be in for a shock. 

Did someone actually tell them that "saving face", to Buddha and the rest of the world, IS LYING?  That Lying is wrong? 

Archived