Get workpermit without degree, how to do?

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

That is fact: CELTA is issued by Cambridge, and  is taught within both colleges and state higher education establishments.  It is an entry level qualifaction required to teach English as a foreign language.

Although a CELTA is based on teaching adults, i agree that it is one of the best entry level qualifications for the TEFL industry.  However, most employers prefer applicants to have an accompanying BA/Bs.

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Anyway, what we can all agree on in effect- and any future TEFL qualified enquiree can be sure of this- is that in Thailand anyone without a degree can not legally teach English, because the necessary documents needed will not be granted.

In most of Asia, too.

2 hours ago, pearciderman said:

You can work on a Non-O for marriage too.

Are you sure it isn't one of those past possibilities that hasn't slowly, but inexorably, been strangled? 

It may be one of those rules that is applied differently regionally, from one immigration officer to another, or the direction of the wind may be influential:smile:.

Hope you're right.

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Are you sure it isn't one of those past possibilities that hasn't slowly, but inexorably, been strangled? 

It may be one of those rules that is applied differently regionally, from one immigration officer to another, or the direction of the wind may be influential:smile:.

Hope you're right.

Yeh, am right :-)

7 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Yeh, am right :-)

OP said he was married so that could have been a lifeline, but obviously he'd still come unstuck with the license waiver.

I must say it seems tough on him.  He may have been sold something of a pup where Thailand is concerned.  The diploma simply isn't sufficient for Thailand. 

You have to understand the need for standards, and, arguably, most of us are really not qualified to teach kids in the traditional setting, yet I do prefer systems that offer equivalence, or at least the opportunity to prove oneself.  For instance, what if the authorities offered the chance of an English competence test; a 9+ score in IELTS say. 

Stubuzz makes a very good point, namely that many employers ask for a BA.  But some would be willing to accept just a TEFL, most likely the Sunday school type establishments.  The TEFLER wouldn't be doing any harm, and could excel in this example.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:15 PM, pearciderman said:

No it is not !

The alien labor act states the punishment for working without a work permit, the teachers act states the punishment for teaching without a teaching license in cases where a teaching license is required.

You would break two separate laws, which each has his punishment.

teachers act: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0450.pdf

51 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The alien labor act states the punishment for working without a work permit, the teachers act states the punishment for teaching without a teaching license in cases where a teaching license is required.

You don't need a TL for teaching in language schools

Anyway, have you heard of anyone being prosecuted for not having a TL? There may be a law, but is there any enforcement.

3 hours ago, Loaded said:

You don't need a TL for teaching in language schools

Anyway, have you heard of anyone being prosecuted for not having a TL? There may be a law, but is there any enforcement.

My posts says " teaching without a teaching license in cases where a teaching license is required." I never said it was required for language schools (or universities, etc).

Enforcement is a big problem, that is because police and labor office are not aware of the rules of the teachers act/teachers council. They only know the alien labor act. if they do get their act together they will have more to charge both the teacher and school with.

4 hours ago, Preacher said:

Not seeing anywhere in that act that lays out the punishments for working without a waiver or licence?

Maybe you can help me and direct me to the appropriate paragraph ?

You recall correct. One person even had a real degree, but decided it was easier to get one from Khao San Road than to get his real degree to Thailand. The judge was not amused.

People do get prosecuted and It is taken very seriously. Doing time in jail is to be expected, as is deportation and blacklisting.

Troll posts removed.

1.   Do not discuss or advise anyone to be involved in illegal activity.

2.   Do not criticize grammar unless specifically asked.   Doing so can earn a suspension.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 8:39 AM, Preacher said:

Teaching at a regular school requires a work permit and a teaching license, working without them are separate criminal offenses. Without a degree you will not receive a waiver of the teaching license, with will be required by both labour office and immigration.

If on a non-O based on marriage, you can get an extension of stay for reason of that (if you have enough money). In that case immigration might not check your work permit and will not be concerned with a teaching license waiver. The labour office still will.

The way around it not being a teacher but a teaching assistant, but that has its own requirements. One of the requirements is that it concerns a private school and not a government school. Another requirement is that you have relevant experience.

It is of course possible to teach illegally, but that leaves you constantly exposed. Checks are always possible and also consider what will happen if for example a student has an accident in your class or there is another serious incident.

It's truly amazing how only one poster can come up with so much wrong advice. You shouldn't be posting on a topic that's obviously not your field of expertise.

1. Teaching as an assistant, trainer, curriculum designer, or any other title, is legal, and does not require a provisional tl, or waiver. 

2. I don't understand what your point is, where you're trying to explain that the OP can "get an extension of stay for reason of that?" The OP is okay with his ordinary visa/ extension of stay.

3. You're wrong again in your assumption(s) that it isn't possible to work as an assistant, etc.. at a government school. Who told you that it's only possible at private schools? 

How can you be so sure about stuff that is in no way true?

4.It doesn't leave the OP "constantly exposed", remember that he'll have a work permit and the type of visa is irrelevant now.

5. Even if there's a check, that wouldn't be a problem for the OP, as he can show legal documents.

7 and 8. If there's an accident a foreign teacher's hardly exposed to problems. If that would happen, anybody will call for Thai assistance and they'll handle it. Why should that cause a problem for the foreign teacher?( trainer)

You're wrong on all your points, can you really call that advice?  Cheers.-

P.S.  The immigration office in my area gave me a contract in Thai when I was asking for advice for a degreeless friend, and it turned out that it was the Thai contract being a trainer that belonged to a good friend.

It's sad that nobody has yet offered to send you a copy of such a contract with names blacked out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 10:18 AM, jenny2017 said:

It's truly amazing how only one poster can come up with so much wrong advice. You shouldn't be posting on a topic that's obviously not your field of expertise.

1. Teaching as an assistant, trainer, curriculum designer, or any other title, is legal, and does not require a provisional tl, or waiver. 

2. I don't understand what your point is, where you're trying to explain that the OP can "get an extension of stay for reason of that?" The OP is okay with his ordinary visa/ extension of stay.

3. You're wrong again in your assumption(s) that it isn't possible to work as an assistant, etc.. at a government school. Who told you that it's only possible at private schools? 

How can you be so sure about stuff that is in no way true?

4.It doesn't leave the OP "constantly exposed", remember that he'll have a work permit and the type of visa is irrelevant now.

5. Even if there's a check, that wouldn't be a problem for the OP, as he can show legal documents.

7 and 8. If there's an accident a foreign teacher's hardly exposed to problems. If that would happen, anybody will call for Thai assistance and they'll handle it. Why should that cause a problem for the foreign teacher?( trainer)

You're wrong on all your points, can you really call that advice?  Cheers.-

P.S.  The immigration office in my area gave me a contract in Thai when I was asking for advice for a degreeless friend, and it turned out that it was the Thai contract being a trainer that belonged to a good friend.

It's sad that nobody has yet offered to send you a copy of such a contract with names blacked out. 

Didn't see this post till i returned to school, so sorry for the late reply. I am afraid your assumptions are wrong and you should read my post again. I said that a way around the teaching license requirement was to be a teaching assistant. But the post from Scott makes clear that one should be careful doing that.

Number 2 read again.

Number 3, read the police order 327/2557. Only under 2.7 (private institutions) is educational support staff mentioned, not under 2.6 (government institutions). That some offices are not following the rules doesn't mean the rule doesn't exist and can be enforced at any time.

Number 4: read my post again.

Number 5: legal documents to do what? Not to teach. See also Scott's post.

Not sure what happened to number 6.

Number 7 and 8: If there is an investigation into an accident you cannot assume the Thai staff will handle it. Police might want to know what your role was and if you have a teaching license.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am seriously researching teaching in Thailand and in general in SEA and want to get the real skinny on the whole Bachelor degree thing as it pertains to Visa requirements. It seems this is predominantly required across Asia, and who knows how long until Cambodia follows suit. I am considering making a life of teaching English in Asia (Thailand being the first choice) and would consider taking on a degree to get that in the hip pocket to increase my scope and pay possibilities.

With this in mind how stringent and specific are these degree requirements definitionally speaking? There are a number of different types of schools and universities that provide a Bachelor in this or that but are not 3 years in length or technically from a university. When you apply for a Visa in say Thailand, China or Vietnam for teaching, how much of a microscope will they take to your tertiary quals? Say I have a 3 year Bachelor in a counselling or Psychology discipline and work experience in that area or a TESOL Bachelor that is technically not a degree etc.

If it's just worth doing the 4 year degree, what would you recommend in terms of a degree that will specifically align with teaching ESL and even perhaps other subjects in schools?

For background, I do have a desire to teach, in fact, I almost headed down that path when I finished high school.

In Thailand you must have a degree in education to get a license to teach. You can get a temporary waiver, giving you time to get fully qualified for the teaching license, if you have a degree in any field.

No teaching license, and thus degree, is needed for jobs like teaching at language school or even university. But for regular schools, elementary and secondary, you must have a teaching license.

In all SEA countries a bachelor's degree is required to teach in public schools. Most of the better language schools also prefer such. Only in the more sketchy language schools in Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar you might work without a degree.

If you've not felt a degree was a worthwhile pursuit until midlife and only now looking at paltry wages and often arduous conditions not to mention whether the job will exist in ten years (five years after you graduate?).

You might want to continue selling timeshares or shoes or whatever you are doing to keep yourself afloat that teaching might look appealing. Second career excepted.

Try a year at a language school. If you're not burned out or ripped off enough, consider a degree. Personally, I'd only work in a language school under the most specific of conditions pertaining to exactly what I want to teach. Not running dog and pony shows or entertaining precocious children.

• 8 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:38 PM, overherebc said:

Do you have a visa or an extension of stay?

On 11/14/2018 at 8:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you are a non-o visa entry or extension of stay based upon marriage to or a parent of a Thai that means you don't need to worry about immigration issues when changing jobs.

Since you have a existing work permit prior to the rules being changed I am certain you will have to apply for a new work permit. I suggest you check with the Department of Employment office where you located to confirm what is needed

Thanks for the response. I’ll check with the Department of Employment Office this week.

Archived