Contact AIS customer service from overseas?

wpcoe

I was unexpectedly called upon to go the USA due to a family emergency the end of May.  I was expecting to only be here for two weeks, but it is extending to be much longer.  I would like to ensure that my AIS bill is paid so that when I return I have continuous mobile phone service upon landing.  I submitted the paperwork for direct debit from my Bangkok Bank savings account in May and was told it would be in effect for my next bill, but would like to be certain.  Both the AIS app and AIS web site require a OTP sent via SMS, and I have no way to access that here.  Is there an e-mail address or web page to submit customer service inquiries online?  The mobile provider I'm using in the USA doesn't include overseas calls, either.

Thought I found a workaround by using Bangkok Bank's online banking site.  But to set up a new payee they send an OTP to my Thai mobile phone number.  I guess nobody in the history of time at AIS or Bangkok Bank has ever considered the remote possibility of someone legitimately paying a bill while outside of Thailand?  Yes, I'm just a wee, tiny bit aggravated.  :angry:

20 hours ago, mogandave said:

You can call AIS free with your AIS phone from the US

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Without international roaming?   How does that work?

[edited to add:]

Although I don't recall setting up international roaming with AIS, I put in the AIS SIM (*after* turning off Cellular Data) and the phone says "No Service."  I'm in a somewhat remote area in the SW USA where even my regular carrier is usually only one bar, and sometimes "No Service."  Does the "No Service" indicate that perhaps I have roaming but the carrier AIS uses has no Signal?  Or is that what an iPhone would display if overseas roaming were not activated?

Also, if I *can* get a signal, will an SMS come through if Cellular Data is turned off?

I got burned once (with either DTAC or True, can't remember now which) with Cellular Data turned on with global roaming activated.  It was quite expensive until I noticed, since all the normal app background activity was happily eating up gobs of megabytes without any outward indication.

Turn off your data and set your carrier to automatic. Once connected you'll get a couple SMS messages from AIS offering data and or voice packages. These messages will include a free number to call AIS.

42 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Turn off your data and set your carrier to automatic. Once connected you'll get a couple SMS messages from AIS offering data and or voice packages. These messages will include a free number to call AIS.

If they can receive SMS they don't need to call AIS.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:55 AM, mogandave said:

With carrier set to Automatic = No Service.  I carried my phone around Albuquerque, a reasonably large city, and no place I went could I get service.  No SMS from AIS.

(Turn Automatic off = AT&T and T-Mobile are listed, but selecting either one = No Service.)

If it matters, this is an unlocked (purchased in Thailand) iPhone SE.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

With carrier set to Automatic = No Service.  I carried my phone around Albuquerque, a reasonably large city, and no place I went could I get service.  No SMS from AIS.

AIS would have to have established Roaming Agreements with a mobile provider in the US

-and-

your phone capable of connecting to that US mobile provider's network.

The AIS data roaming webpage indicates they have agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Countries and networks covered by the AIS 4G Data Roaming service

Your mobile phone would need to be able to work on these bands to connect to either network:

AT&T 3G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2)

AT&T LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), Band 4(1700/2100Mhz)

T-Mobile 3G HSPA and HSPA+ use Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz) and Band 2 (1900Mhz)

T-Mobile LTE uses Band 12 (700Mhz 'a' block), Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz), Band 2 (1900Mhz)

...but it all depends what frequencies the carrier supports in your area.

The mobile phone has to be capable of connecting to the foreign roaming network.

You probably did so with an Apple iPhone or higher-end Samsung that has the multi-band coverage.

I listed the AT&T and T-Mobile bands as they are not the same as Thailand's Band 3 (1800Mhz) and Band 1(2100Mhz) usage.

AT&T's use of Band 5 (850Mhz) would be the only one that overlaps for coverage for most mobile phones sold in Thailand. 

The mobile phone has to be capable of connecting to the foreign roaming network.
You probably did so with an Apple iPhone or higher-end Samsung that has the multi-band coverage.

I listed the AT&T and T-Mobile bands as they are not the same as Thailand's Band 3 (1800Mhz) and Band 1(2100Mhz) usage.

AT&T's use of Band 5 (850Mhz) would be the only one that overlaps for coverage for most mobile phones sold in Thailand. 

Yes, when I said my AIS iPhone, I meant my AIS Apple iPhone.

That said, my old Nokia and Samsung phones worked as well.

You are right, not all phones will work in the US, but that the OP is able to see AT&T and T-Mobile as choices leads me to believe it in not a band issue.

My kid's AIS iPhone (Apple) does not work in the US as we have the service blocked. He only uses WiFi.

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

AIS would have to have established Roaming Agreements with a mobile provider in the US

-and-

your phone capable of connecting to that US mobile provider's network.

The AIS data roaming webpage indicates they have agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Countries and networks covered by the AIS 4G Data Roaming service

Your mobile phone would need to be able to work on these bands to connect to either network:

AT&T 3G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2)

AT&T LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), Band 4(1700/2100Mhz)

T-Mobile 3G HSPA and HSPA+ use Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz) and Band 2 (1900Mhz)

T-Mobile LTE uses Band 12 (700Mhz 'a' block), Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz), Band 2 (1900Mhz)

...but it all depends what frequencies the carrier supports in your area.

On the rear of my iPhone it says I have Model A1723.  According the Apple web page with specs: https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/specs/ the following bands are supported:

Model A1723*

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 1217, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28) 
TD‑LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41) 
TD‑SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A) 
CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) 
UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) 
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Shouldn't I be able to connect with AT&T LTE on bands 17, 5, 2 and/or 4?  Or, with T-Mobile on bands 12, 4  and/or 2?

[Edited to add:]

Just noticed that with my RoamMobility SIM in the phone, under Settings > General, it shows I'm connected to "T-Mobile 28.3" and the phone indicates an LTE connection.  So my phone *can* connect with T-Mobile.  Wonder why it doesn't with the AIS SIM in it...

And, to come back to my original query, does anybody have an e-mail address or web page URL that I can use to contact AIS from overseas?

7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

(Turn Automatic off = AT&T and T-Mobile are listed, but selecting either one = No Service.)

The AIS website indicates it should work in Automatic  -or- Manually selecting a preferred roaming carrier.

Interestingly, the AIS How To Use Roaming page doesn't say anything about having to first sign up for roaming service.  Though I think the optional AIS Roaming Packages are a good way to get your heart racing. Voice & SMS 499THB/day ?????

/// Other somewhat helpful/unhelpful page data:

ThaiVisa_AIS_Roaming_USA.JPG.0b4823a1812ff30244e7f644852359ad.JPG

ThaiVisa_AIS_ATT_USA.JPG.4f316073eadd73e6aff8d410acbd8522.JPG

ThaiVisa_AIS_T-Mobile_USA.JPG.617ab6ef89b38c76757adcd45c7bc8ab.JPG

5 hours ago, ravip said:

Try this email >>> [email protected]

They replied to one of my queries sometime back in English.

Thank you!  I just sent them an e-mail.  Here's hoping I can take care of things with them.  I didn't really want to join LINE just to correspond them, I don't fancy posting my personal drama on a public Facebook page, and can't call Thailand with my temporary mobile phone plan in the USA, so this will be wonderful if it works. <fingers crossed>

@RichCor Thanks.  I don't do Facebook, so didn't know those were options.  If this e-mail exchange fails, it'll be my next thing I try.

I got an initial e-mail reply from the callcenter saying my account had been suspended for non-payment but they temporarily re-instated it for three days so I could get an OTP SMS to make payment via the app or their web site.  Problem is, the global roaming with T-Mobile/AT&T doesn't work so I can't get the SMS.  I relayed that to them and am currently waiting for a reply.

When I first started this thread I wasn't sure I had enabled international roaming, but then I remembered that in April while I was transiting Seoul, I accessed WiFi with the AIS SIM in the phone and mobile data still enabled, and charges for roaming appeared on my bill, so I *do* have international roaming enabled.  I don't know why I cannot connect with T-Mobile in the USA with the AIS SIM inserted, since as mentioned above my phone is definitely able to connect with T-Mobile using the RoamMobility SIM.

So, manually selecting a network on the AIS SIM gets you nowhere?

Gotta wonder if they've disabled your SIM. Your issue certainly seems SIM specific.

...also, have you checked to see if you need to do any of this (while the AIS SIM is installed)?

from support.apple.com

Check for a Carrier Settings update

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update using these steps:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.
  3. To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

If you insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.

Reset your Network Settings.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

(This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.)

As @ravip had indicated, the folks at [email protected] are very quick and knowledgeable via e-mail.

When I told them international roaming wasn't working for me in the US, they e-mailed specific instructions for iOS, which of course I had already done.  HOWEVER, ever since then I've been able to connect with AT&T.  I suspect they did something behind the scenes, as I tried for five days at different times in different parts of the city and couldn't connect.  Now, I can make a connection each time.  One hurdle crossed.  (It still won't connect if the Carrier is set to "Automatic,".  I have to manually select AT&T, but I can live with that.)

Then they said to put in my credit card info via the app.  I kept getting declined using two VISA cards, both on the app and via their web site.  They replied that they only accept Thailand-issued VISA cards, so that was that problem.

Next, since I now had access to OTP SMS's sent to my AIS number, I set up online bill payment with Bangkok Bank, and the transaction succeeded, though the AIS folks said it might take up to three days to reach AIS.  I set them a screenshot of the BBL screen that showed the info I input, and also showed that the transaction was successful, and they said everything looked correct.

I'll check with them via e-mail on Thursday to see if the payment was received and my AIS account is no longer suspended.

BTW, they also have some elaborate procedure as a last resort where you can receive via an e-mail  the OTP to access the app rather than via SMS.  

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Wiliam Wong said:

my mobile # is 0930269153. I am in HK now. I just top-up the package One-2-Call 50 Baht. But I cannot use *121# to check my balance and validity period. Can you tell me the expired date for my mobile #?

What is the four digit code that you have just received?

On 6/14/2017 at 4:29 AM, JamJar said:

SMS is not connected with Cellular Data. You can(and should) turn that off and still receive SMS as long as International Roaming is activated.

I use AIS and I totally cancelled roaming several years ago after not realizing it was still on and the bill was enormous. 

I use internet banking with 2 mainstream Thai banks, and when I set up both for internet I asked how can I receive an OTP password when I'm outside of Thailand e.g. Vietnam.

Both banks gave the same answer:

1, OTP still works when your outside of Thailand and roaming is turned off, Both banks said the same thing, just turn on your phone with AIS sim card installed and it's a free service, and I have used it twice to get an OTP from K bank, it worked.

I don't know how it can work but here's a guess.  Both time I got an OTP

in Vietnam I was inside my hotel room with high speed stable connection.

So did the OTP come via an internet process? Just my guess.

2. You can call to the bank call centre in Bkk, (both banks) explain the situation and tell them you want to transfer funds to pay a local bill in Thailand, send money to your wife's account or similar in Thailand, the bank call center staff will ask you some different security questions and if your answers are OK, they will immediately process the transaction. Both mentioned there is a daily limit, from memory 10,000Baht but can be higher is set up in advance.

Call centre staff from both banks mentioned quite seriously please never contact the bank by e-mail to do a transaction. You can contact the banks by e-mail with a general question but never include a bank account number etc., in an e-mail. 

I've used method 1. and 2. above, they both worked. Must be honest I was impressed.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I use AIS and I totally cancelled roaming several years ago after not realizing it was still on and the bill was enormous. 

I use internet banking with 2 mainstream Thai banks, and when I set up both for internet I asked how can I receive an OTP password when I'm outside of Thailand e.g. Vietnam.

Both banks gave the same answer:

1, OTP still works when your outside of Thailand and roaming is turned off, Both banks said the same thing, just turn on your phone with AIS sim card installed and it's a free service, and I have used it twice to get an OTP from K bank, it worked.

2. You can call to the bank call centre in Bkk, (both banks) explain the situation and tell them you want to transfer funds to pay a local bill in Thailand, send money to your wife's account or similar in Thailand, the bank call center staff will ask you some different security questions and if your answers are OK, they will immediately process the transaction. Both mentioned there is a daily limit, from memory 10,000Baht but can be higher is set up in advance.

Call centre staff from both banks mentioned quite seriously please never contact the bank by e-mail to do a transaction. You can contact the banks by e-mail with a general question but never include a bank account number etc., in an e-mail. 

I've used method 1. and 2. above, they both worked. Must be honest I was impressed.

I'm not so sure about your statement. Perhaps some confusion over Data Roaming as opposed to GSM Roaming.

You need a signal in order to receive an SMS message. So if you cannot connect to a network, you won't receive SMS from a third party.

So you need Roaming, but you don't need Çellular/Mobile data switched on.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm not so sure about your statement. Perhaps some confusion over Data Roaming as opposed to GSM Roaming.

You need a signal in order to receive an SMS message. So if you cannot connect to a network, you won't receive SMS from a third party.

So you need Roaming, but you don't need Çellular/Mobile data switched on.

You could be right, I'm not a technical person and I don't fully understand data roaming / GSM roaming etc. I do know it worked.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

You could be right, I'm not a technical person and I don't fully understand data roaming / GSM roaming etc. I do know it worked.

Just didn't want anyone switching off Roaming and then being unable to receive important msgs abroad. ????

Imagine GSM as the old 2G service, just for SMS and calls. 

As someone else eluded to, international calling and data roaming has to be turned on separately.

There is some difficulty in that if you try to turn on calling outside Thailand, AIS has no way of recognizing the change as you are not connected to the system. It is best to turn on international calling while you are in Thailand.

Incidentally, AIS has some pretty decent roaming packages. In the US they used T-Mobile & AT&T.

Archived