New Curriculum?

Is there a new MOE curriculum this year?  Especially regarding language studies?  Is it published somewhere?  How about the present curriculum?

Does anyone remember when the last curriculum change occurred?

Does this mean new textbooks or what?

Thanks for any info.

~

There's a new set of really poorly composed text books being pushed this year for Mattayum Your Space 1, 2, 3 and Eyes Open 1, 2, 3 for M1-M6 respectively. Complete with small British children speaking in incomprehensible local slang on a series of audio and video CDs.

Even the Thai teachers at my school find them nearly unusable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

There's a new set of really poorly composed text books being pushed this year for Mattayum Your Space 1, 2, 3 and Eyes Open 1, 2, 3 for M1-M6 respectively. Complete with small British children speaking in incomprehensible local slang on a series of audio and video CDs.

This.

Even the better publishers are now using yobspeak in their audios. I guess they see it as real world. It's often practically incomprehensible to me.

Demand the American versions. 

No one wants to listen to it, model their speech after it or bother spelling British English.

In the four years I've taught English the only kids using British spelling are the ones with some British family connection. Yet even with UK parents, their kids here speak with a neutral accent.

On 02/07/2017 at 6:00 PM, ozmeldo said:

This.

Even the better publishers are now using yobspeak in their audios. I guess they see it as real world. It's often practically incomprehensible to me.

Demand the American versions. 

No one wants to listen to it, model their speech after it or bother spelling British English.

In the four years I've taught English the only kids using British spelling are the ones with some British family connection. Yet even with UK parents, their kids here speak with a neutral accent.

Only 4 years??? I've been teaching here 19 years and find your comments rather off centre. In fact almost funny to the extent of unbelievable. 

Thanks for the laugh. I'm still trying to decipher where a neutral accent might come from. 

Going to tape my ribs up. 

On 6/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

Are you sure they are being "pushed" at all schools ? Because normally the salespeople for all the book companies just trawl the schools trying to sell their wares.

Also, having just watched a few of the videos from the books you mention, there are at least British and American children talking and I did not hear any "local slang".

2 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

Are you sure they are being "pushed" at all schools ? Because normally the salespeople for all the book companies just trawl the schools trying to sell their wares.

Also, having just watched a few of the videos from the books you mention, there are at least British and American children talking and I did not hear any "local slang".

That is true. Most Area offices will try to make suggestions but the school's director and local budget often determines whether there are new books or the ones from last year get used. I have worked in schools where the teachers used the free sample copy from the salesforce and the kids did not get any because most will lose it by midterms anyway. Also had classes where we simply used books from last year...I mean it's English not technical advancements in semiconductor processing power....it really does not change that much.

Archived