Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

webfact

Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

svb.jpg

File Photo

Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok has been named among the top 10 worst airports in the world, according to a new study which measured punctuality, quality and service.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi was ranked in 9th place out of the ten worst airports.

The survey was compiled by AirHelp, a firm which specializes in helping customers get compensation from airlines for flight delays, who asked passengers to rate 76 international airports.

Passengers were asked their opinion on quality of service, passenger facilities, terminal comfort, check in and security.

Kuwait airport was found to be the worse performing, according to the study.

British airports fared particularly poorly, with four UK airports, London Gatwick, Manchester, Stansted and Edinburgh all making the top 10.

The top airport in the world, with its beautiful gardens, luxurious rest areas, free cinema and theme park was Singapore Changi, followed by Munich, Germany and Hong Kong.

Worst 10 airports by ranking

1. Kuwait 5.02

2. London Gatwick 5.38

3. Manchester 5.43

4. Newark Liberty, New Jersey, USA 5.92

5. Stansted 6.07

6. Edinburgh 6.10

7. Mumbai, India 6.21

8. Dubai, UAE 6.24

9. Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, Thailand 6.30

10. Delhi, India 6.31

Best 10 airports by ranking

1. Singapore Changi 9.07

2. Munich, Germany 8.66

3. Hong Kong 8.42

4. Copenhagen Kastrup, Denmark 8.04

5. Helsinki-Vantaa, Finland 8.03

6. Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky, USA 7.94

7. Barcelona El Prat, Spain 7.90

8. Madrid Adolfo Suarez-Barajas, Spain 7.81

9. Auckland, New Zealand 7.80

10. Frankfurt, Germany 7.76

The study also looked at airlines but none of the Thai carriers made the top 10 in either the best or worst category.

Airlines were ranked on on-time performance, quality of service and claim processing.

Thai Airways International came in 57th place out the 87 airlines which featured in the survey.

Singapore Airlines, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways were the 3 best airlines, respectively.

Bulgaria Air, SmartWings and Tunisair were found to be the worst.

Best 10 airlines by ranking

1. Singapore Airlines, Singapore - 8.73

2. Etihad Airways, United Arab Emirates - 8.48

3. Qatar Airways, Qatar - 8.46

4. Austrian Airlines, Austria - 8.38

5. Air Transat A.T. Inc, Canada - 8.29

6. Air Dolomiti, Italy - 8.22

7. British Airways, UK - 8.14

8. Virgin Atlantic, UK - 7.99

9. Aer Lingus, Ireland - 7.97

10. TUI fly Netherlands, Netherlands - 7.95

Worst 10 airlines by ranking

1. Bulgaria Air, Bulgaria - 4.93

2. SmartWings, Czech Republic- 5.01

3. Tunisair, Tunisia - 5.15

4. Monarch Airlines, UK - 5.16

5. Ryanair, Ireland - 5.21

6. Egyptair, Egypt - 5.27

7. China Eastern Airlines, China - 5.27

8. Pakistan International, Pakistan - 5.31

9. Gulf Air, Bahrain - 5.44

10. Air China, China - 5.48

“It's important - now more so than ever - that passenger service is a top priority of both airlines and airports, ensuring they receive the experience they deserve, so it's fantastic to see that Singapore is setting the standard for customer-first service”, said AirHelp's UK manager Marius Fermi.

“This research should hopefully give airlines and airports across the world, particularly in the UK, a nudge to improve their quality and punctuality urgently before the travel rush starts this summer.”

AirHelp https://www.airhelp.com/en/blog/best-airline-in-world/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-13

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many ranking sites exist?

How many list Emirates and Qantas in the top 10? Many.

Does this site? No.

About the airport list: they must have used a quite small selection.

Manila not being in the worst list?

No central Asian/Russian/African/South American airports worse than Suy.?

Incheon, Seoul not on the top 10?

etc.etc.

Laughable.

If you compare the "worst airport" lists you will find that they all use quite arbitrary selections.

I dump this ranking list/site.

Always said it was a dump and outdated.  They need to bulldoze this tin shed and build a modern user friendly one.  The international departures dont even dock at the terminal.  We fly from CNX to Melbourne and when we arrive at BKK its a 2 km walk to the departure lounge then its 2 km bus trip out onto the tarmac and a climb up into the plane.  Something you would expect in the 1930"s   Bomb the relic and build one for today.

This appears to be some little "start up" company that is trying to make a name for itself.

It looks like they use the same data as most of the other "ranking" sites and then select different criteria to make their lists.  After browsing some of their top airlines/airports list I don't think I'd ever use their site as a reference.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Surprised Emirates are not in the top 10 list, and East Midlands airport not on the worst airports list, that really is dire.

As I wrote this list is just another arbitrary subjective thing.

You need at least 10 of these lists to make up the median :smile:

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

After browsing some of their top airlines/airports list I don't think I'd ever use their site as a reference.

It's for the bin.

Frankfurt in the best list?

This patchwork labyrinth?? :cheesy:

Swampy is one of my favourite airports, what with its beautiful architecture and low priced good quality food, everything is well laid out, modern and accessable, never had delays of any kind either arriving or departing.

Although, Im sure those that hate all things Thailand will be rushing to agree with this nonsense article.

47 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Totally agree. DMK is even worst.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Terminal not much better - long ways to and from Gates - DMK slowly now new People movers get installed. ?

Strange criteria used by the survey company?$

Emirates is not included as it was neutrally rated the best airline in the world....Heathrow is not in the worst airport list as it is just a mess..and Dubai Airport? I find it one of the best...

What about Lufthansa? Many pilot strikes and flights cancelled due to strikes etc in 2016 - where is this airline on the worse list?

Why no americain airlines/airports on the shitlist either?

I would add Zurich and Madrid airports in the worst list also - rude security staff on many occasions - unclear passenger signs and no smoking rooms for passengers in transit in Madrid.

Nobody likes to walk long distance before boarding and  it is definately a criteria. I would also consider the politeness of the airport staff, the rapidity of getting through immigration/customs (Suvarnabhumi needs to make efforts to avoid those long immigration queues even if it's worse in other countries), and the rapidity in getting your luggage from the belt.

But....but...if one was solely to look into the honesty of the taxi drivers to and from the airport - in that case, I would unfortunately rate Suvarnabhumi  airport the worst in the world, due to the regular and tiring arguments you must put up with the cheats in Bangkok taxis who systematically refuse to turn on the meter with tourists.

To make it short, this survey company is selling bullshit with it's survey list that seems totally biased from 1 to 10!  Was it the airlines that put in the most "tea money" that make it to the top best????:sleepy:

Totally ridiculous having Frankfurt in a better rank than Suvarnabhumi. It's a crappy airport where you won't even find your check-in counter because they are somehow spread randomly throughout the entire building. Duty free is overpriced, as is anything else (coke in a vending machine for 3.50€, anyone?). Looks old and outdated as well. The only positive thing is the nice immigration staff and not having a separate immigration for every single gate manned by two people like Berlin-TXL has.

1 minute ago, wump said:

Totally ridiculous having Frankfurt in a better rank than Suvarnabhumi. It's a crappy airport where you won't even find your check-in counter because they are somehow spread randomly throughout the entire building. Duty free is overpriced, as is anything else (coke in a vending machine for 3.50€, anyone?). Looks old and outdated as well. The only positive thing is the nice immigration staff and not having a separate immigration for every single gate manned by two people like Berlin-TXL has.

you are right about extravagant duty free prices...unfortunately duty free is now in the hands of a couple of globalised groups who outforwardly just cheat you on the prices...perhaps cigarettes remain cheaper. Naturally it depends in which country you live, if your country is cheating you with a 20% style VAT obviously duty free is the only solution,. But if you live in a country with reasonable tax rates, duty free is far from being a good deal nowdays.

28 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

But....but...if one was solely to look into the honesty of the taxi drivers to and from the airport - in that case, I would unfortunately rate Suvarnabhumi  airport the worst in the world, due to the regular and tiring arguments you must put up with the cheats in Bangkok taxis who systematically refuse to turn on the meter with tourists.

Doesn't make Swampy a bad airport, does it?

Get the AOT Limo from departures.  Knowledgeable and friendly drivers, no queues, air-con, Easy Pass and plenty of space in the boot for your luggage.  Not cheap but very efficient and have never been ripped off.  Fantastic service every time.

If I see stuff like Toblerone or Ritter Sport it's like 300% more expensive than in a German supermarket where there is already a tax of 19% applied. Cigarettes (being 5-10$ a carton without tax) sell for 30-40 euros. A complete joke. I still remember when in Cambodia, Winston Lights in the shops where 5.13$ a carton and 12$ in "duty free".

But my argument was not so much about money but about convenience. Apart from the long walks and sometimes sour immigration officials I find Suvarnabhumi to be an excellent airport. Very easy to find your way around (your checkin counter, your gate, your taxi/train etc). Nothing like the old days with the taxi touts at Don Muang. I also like the travelators and the opportunity to get everything at a reasonable airport price (I think a water in the new vending machines is 15 Baht?). In Germany you'd only get proper prices in BK and McD at the airport (except for Munich where they have an actual supermarket where you get a large premium wheat beer for 33 Baht).

4 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Get the AOT Limo from departures.  Knowledgeable and friendly drivers, no queues, air-con, Easy Pass and plenty of space in the boot for your luggage.  Not cheap but very efficient and have never been ripped off.  Fantastic service every time.

Or just go to the normal taxi queue in the basement. If he refuses to use the meter, get out and he'll have to pay the 50 Baht surcharge himself. Problem solved.

Edit: May I ask how much the limousine is? Like 1000 Baht? A taxi into town is only 300-400.

Just now, wump said:

Or just go to the normal taxi queue in the basement. If he refuses to use the meter, get out and he'll have to pay the 50 Baht surcharge himself. Problem solved.

Probably is solved, for us, by using the AOT Limo.  Never a hassle. 

After a twelve-hour flight I don't want the musical taxi routine and I don't want to queue up.  I've seen queues an hour long in high season.  

2 minutes ago, wump said:

Sure, if there is a long queue just take a scam taxi (can always be had from the counter I'm not allowed to name). They park in the airport garage. Still cheaper than a limousine.

Up to you.  1600 baht for a stress-free ride to DMK is good enough for me.  Pay an all-in-one fare and go.  And I don't have to have a case seated on my lap, run the risk of no air-con and have to deal with a potential belligerent driver.

Anyway, I love Swampy.

13 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Not at all my friend. That's why I wrote "solely"...I chose UBER or similar now.

7 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Up to you.  1600 baht for a stress-free ride to DMK is good enough for me.  Pay an all-in-one fare and go.  And I don't have to have a case seated on my lap, run the risk of no air-con and have to deal with a potential belligerent driver.

Anyway, I love Swampy.

1600 Baht? You're having a laugh. Even if I could afford it, this service is certainly not worth an extra 400-500% of the fare. Why would anyone support this rip-off?

Even in Australia a taxi would be cheaper than this.

9 minutes ago, wump said:

1600 Baht? You're having a laugh. Even if I could afford it, this service is certainly not worth an extra 400-500% of the fare. Why would anyone support this rip-off?

Even in Australia a taxi would be cheaper than this.

Up to you.  But you talk about ripoff meter taxis and your constant issues with them.  £38 at today's exchange rate is fantastic compared with where I could get to in London (end of the road) but AOT provides me with a seamless service at a bargain basement price.

If my post helps another then that's a good thing.  Ignore it if you so wish and continue with your constant battles.  I've had my fill of Swampy metered taxis and elected for the easier option.

What a load of crap, survey done by AIR HEAD!

International airports, then try a few in west Africa and a couple in PNG and

East Africa,  Gez even the Perth Airport in Aussie is crap compared to 

Survanabhumi, 

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

Up to you.  But you talk about ripoff meter taxis and your constant issues with them.  £38 at today's exchange rate is fantastic compared with where I could get to in London (end of the road) but AOT provides me with a seamless service at a bargain basement price.

If me post helps another then that's a good thing.  Ignore it if you so wish and continue with your constant battles.  I've had my fill of metered taxis so choose the easier option.

Okay, I won't argue with you if 38 quid means nothing to you and you want to jump the queues. You want to enjoy your holiday, fair enough.

But please don't call it "bargain basement price". It certainly is not and I am sure it'd still be profitable at half the rate.

Archived