Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

webfact

Just now, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

You forgot the sky train. Fast icy cold 45 baht and no PITA Thai drivers annoying you with stupid bar girl questions, where you from, you have family blah blah

Is this some kind of pissing contest?  Take your preferred method of transport and have done with it. 

I can only advise on what suits us.  And we've never experienced your experience, probably because we don't go low-cost.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wump said:

Checkin-lines depend on the airline. Choose a crappy one and you will wait 1 hour+.

Also, you cigarette argument is invalid. Cigarettes in duty free shops don't have any duty (hence the name) or taxi levied on them. Anything over 10$ for a carton of Marlboro is 100% profit for the duty free shop. Same goes for liquor.

Regulations differ from country to country. But local duties are applied to any applicable product sold in duty free shops. The name is just legacy (refering to import/export duties)

For check-in lines, flying with Thai, always long check-in lines, but yeah they service all Thai flights, not a specific flight (average wait 30 min). With KLM you have to check-in using a terminal and then you go for baggage drop-off, not really a timesaver in Thailand, but average wait time on check-in about 20 minutes. China airlines, only few counters open with wait times averaging 30 min, Qatar airways, I think I stood in line about 10 minutes last time. 

In BRU even shorter check-in lines are only serviced by less counters with an increased waiting time of about 40-50 minutes on a bad day.

14 minutes ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

You forgot the sky train. Fast icy cold 45 baht and no PITA Thai drivers annoying you with stupid bar girl questions, where you from, you have family blah blah

the train from the airport sounds good, but if you have luggage it could get a bit inconvenient during rush hours and walking up and down the stairs of the train stations in town?

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

This appears to be some little "start up" company that is trying to make a name for itself.

It looks like they use the same data as most of the other "ranking" sites and then select different criteria to make their lists.  After browsing some of their top airlines/airports list I don't think I'd ever use their site as a reference.

+1  The tipoff is the fact that no North American or African airports are  mentioned. BKK is a beautiful friendly place  compared to  MIA for foreigners in transit from latin America or  the Caribbean. YYZ customs/immigration makes  BKK seem welcoming. Baggage delivery times?  Good luck on that in some EU 2nd tier stations like FCO whereas BKK is  prompt.

20 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

Regulations differ from country to country. But local duties are applied to any applicable product sold in duty free shops. The name is just legacy (refering to import/export duties)

"Duty-free shops (or stores) are retail outlets that are exempt from the payment of certain local or national taxes and duties, on the requirement that the goods sold will be sold to travelers who will take them out of the country. Which products can be sold duty-free vary by jurisdiction, as well as how they can be sold, and the process of calculating the duty or refunding the duty component."

So you telling me King Power selling these 680 Baht camels has paid more than 300 Baht (including any duty/tax) for it? Highly doubt it. You can already see their rip-off when a Sang Som is 50% dearer than in 7-11 even though it is supposed to be tax free.

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

Totally agree. DMK is even worst.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I used to actually like DMK back when it was the only game in town...it certainly doesn't have the problem of those extremely long walks one must frequently make to/from terminals such as is the case at Swampy.  But now, especially by comparison with Swampy, yes, DMK is the pits: as regards transportation, immigration, swarms of Chinese tourists, you name it...

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

the train from the airport sounds good, but if you have luggage it could get a bit inconvenient during rush hours and walking up and down the stairs of the train stations in town?

Going with the skytrain and luggage, not really something I would recommend, a huge hassle. Lack of elevators. 

37 minutes ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

Icy cold? You must have had it on good days because when it's packed, outbound, the aircon barely functions. It is a great white elephant, 1st class.

1 hour ago, Here It Is said:

I always travel business class so have priority lane access, notwithstanding I go through the Thai lane with my wife.  Five minutes max whatever way we do it and our bags come out priority.

Yep, that's exactly what it's come to for me: my upcoming December trip will be the first one I fly strictly business class into/out of Swampy, just to avoid that immigration line headache--that includes to/from Cambodia and Laos, which, let me tell you, is not cheap!

10 hours ago, wump said:

"Duty-free shops (or stores) are retail outlets that are exempt from the payment of certain local or national taxes and duties, on the requirement that the goods sold will be sold to travelers who will take them out of the country. Which products can be sold duty-free vary by jurisdiction, as well as how they can be sold, and the process of calculating the duty or refunding the duty component."

So you telling me King Power selling these 680 Baht camels has paid more than 300 Baht (including any duty/tax) for it? Highly doubt it. You can already see their rip-off when a Sang Som is 50% dearer than in 7-11 even though it is supposed to be tax free.

Guess what.

3 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

Yep, that's exactly what it's come to for me: my upcoming December trip will be the first one I fly strictly business class into/out of Swampy, just to avoid that immigration line headache--that includes to/from Cambodia and Laos, which, let me tell you, is not cheap!

And what do I get if I fly first class? A happy end with a nice female immigration official? :cheesy:. Have a nice and fast track trip in December!

19 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

+1  The tipoff is the fact that no North American or African airports are  mentioned. BKK is a beautiful friendly place  compared to  MIA for foreigners in transit from latin America or  the Caribbean. YYZ customs/immigration makes  BKK seem welcoming. Baggage delivery times?  Good luck on that in some EU 2nd tier stations like FCO whereas BKK is  prompt.

I don't fly out of that many int'l US airports (even though I live in the US), but one particularly awful one that springs to mind (domestic or int'l) is LAX...luckily, my home airport is SFO, which is not bad at all in my experience.

2 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

I don't fly out of that many int'l US airports (even though I live in the US), but one particularly awful one that springs to mind (domestic or int'l) is LAX...luckily, my home airport is SFO, which is not bad at all in my experience.

Was planning to visit for the first time the City of Angels this summer? What would you recommend to be aware of at LAX?

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

And what do I get if I fly first class? A happy end with a nice female immigration official? :cheesy:. Have a nice and fast track trip in December!

Well, actually, I only lucked into the business thing, since I started flying premium economy from San Francisco to BKK on China Airlines...since they don't have premium economy on their TPE-BKK flights, they automatically bump you to business on that leg, which of course includes the priority immigration lane pass.  I could never afford a full business ticket from the US to Thailand!  I guess you could say I can't really "afford" the cost of flying to Phnom Penh or Vientiane on Thai Airways business (from BKK), which is $500 USD RT for either (as opposed to less than $200 on Air Asia, or $300 on Bangkok Air), but I swallow the cost...as one gets older, comfort gets more important! 

Actually, it seems lots of airlines are doing away with first class altogether, they make a much better profit on business.  Here's an interesting video on it:

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Was planning to visit for the first time the City of Angels this summer? What would you recommend to be aware of at LAX?

Well, I can't point to any one thing, and it's been a few years since I used it internationally (I fly domestic in and out of LAX several times a year, though): it just feels cramped, dreary, not organized well, really poor choice of restaurants/other amenities.  I do know they've been doing work on it, so hopefully it's improved?  I'd say domestic is a lot more tolerable at LAX than int'l.  In general, one thing LAX has working against it is that the terminals are all laid out in a line, not in a circular configuration as is the case many other places, which makes ground transportation, for one thing, quite messy.

Another US airport I avoid like the plague is ORD, seems like flights (connections) are always getting canceled there, it's such a mess.  In Chicago, domestically at least, one has an alternative (Midway), but not really in LA (there are other airports, like Long Beach, but that's only convenient if your destination is Long Beach or Orange County, not LA!).  Actually, Bob Hope airport in the San Fernando valley (though I've never used it myself) seems very convenient for LA; it's closer to downtown than LAX and has a direct rail connection...but there aren't too many airlines that fly into it, and it's very pricey.

2 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

Well, I can't point to any one thing, and it's been a few years since I used it internationally (I fly domestic in and out of LAX several times a year, though): it just feels cramped, dreary, not organized well, really poor choice of restaurants/other amenities.  I do know they've been doing work on it, so hopefully it's improved?  I'd say domestic is a lot more tolerable at LAX than int'l.  In general, one thing LAX has working against it is that the terminals are all laid out in a line, not in a circular configuration as is the case many other places, which makes ground transportation, for one thing, quite messy.

Another US airport I avoid like the plague is ORD, seems like flights (connections) are always getting canceled there, it's such a mess.  In Chicago, domestically at least, one has an alternative (Midway), but not really in LA (there are other airports, like Long Beach, but that's only convenient if your destination is Long Beach or Orange County, not LA!).  Actually, Bob Hope airport in the San Fernando valley (though I've never used it myself) seems very convenient for LA; it's closer to downtown than LAX and has a direct rail connection...but there aren't too many airlines that fly into it, and it's very pricey.

ok thanks on this one and thanks for the previous post with the video and some crispy airline upgrade tips!!:clap2:

Why would anyone expect Swampy to be a great airport as it was built when Thaksin was PM, which says it all.

Shame as it could have been as good as Changi, given built from scratch and not a Heathrow batch job of additions.

IMO Heathrow terminal 3 should be on that list- appalling airport that only cares about duty free.

36 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

Wel I guess you could say I can't really "afford" the cost of flying to Phnom Penh or Vientiane on Thai Airways business (from BKK), which is $500 USD RT for either (as opposed to less than $200 on Air Asia, or $300 on Bangkok Air), but I swallow the cost...as one gets older, comfort gets more important! 

That really is a terrible waste of money. You are better off to save those $$$ to put towards a better seat in long haul. Pretty much anyone can manage economy for 50 minutes to Vientiane, 13 hours to London not so much. So even in your advanced decrepitude, save the $$$ for when it's really needed, IMHO

It's only when you exit Sukhumvit line eg Nana that down escalators are gone.  

So it's down 2 flights of stairs at the last station. Not recommended for those carrying 2 big suitcases

However rush hour in a cab will leave sitting there one hour often with poor aircon and an extra 350 baht for the privilege

4 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Swampy is one of my favourite airports, what with its beautiful architecture and low priced good quality food, everything is well laid out, modern and accessable, never had delays of any kind either arriving or departing.

Although, Im sure those that hate all things Thailand will be rushing to agree with this nonsense article.

You obviously don't use swampy in the high season. It's a shambles. 

9 minutes ago, Redvic said:

You obviously don't use swampy in the high season. It's a shambles. 

Why? 

We find it most enjoyable as we will do on Thursday on our back to the UK.  Will pop into the Cathay lounge for some noodles and refreshments.

I would choose Suvarnabumi to fly in and out of over scores of other airports.. 

I think this article is particularly harsh...  There are many airports in Western countries which IMO rate much more poorly when the basis of evaluation is: 

Delayed flights, Immigration queues, speed of baggage arrival, Check In queues, availability of amenities (such as reasonably priced food and drink).

The transport links need improvement, the Airport Rail Link is a joke and the Taxi's are con-artists, improve this and the impressions of visitors will greatly improve. 

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

That really is a terrible waste of money. You are better off to save those $$$ to put towards a better seat in long haul. Pretty much anyone can manage economy for 50 minutes to Vientiane, 13 hours to London not so much. So even in your advanced decrepitude, save the $$$ for when it's really needed, IMHO

It's not the seat comfort I'm paying for (and adding $1,000 to my long haul flight still wouldn't even get me *close* to business class! premium economy is just fine), it's the express immigration line at Swampy, both going in and out.  I know it's extravagant, but, eh, we all make our choices!  I used to go to Thailand 3x a year, now I'm down to one trip...and it happens to be in high season.  So I want to get the most out of my limited time, and limit the stress. :smile:

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would choose Suvarnabumi to fly in and out of over scores of other airports.. 

I think this article is particularly harsh...  There are many airports in Western countries which IMO rate much more poorly when the basis of evaluation is: 

Delayed flights, Immigration queues, speed of baggage arrival, Check In queues, availability of amenities (such as reasonably priced food and drink).

The transport links need improvement, the Airport Rail Link is a joke and the Taxi's are con-artists, improve this and the impressions of visitors will greatly improve. 

I agree...plus, in 17 years of coming to Thailand, I can count on one hand the times I've had problems with taxis.  I speak Thai and let them know it as soon as I get in; they never try to scam me...at least not coming to/from the airport.  Of course, I am subject to them not wanting to use the meter at night in tourist spots, just like everyone else.

1 hour ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

It's only when you exit Sukhumvit line eg Nana that down escalators are gone.  

So it's down 2 flights of stairs at the last station. Not recommended for those carrying 2 big suitcases

However rush hour in a cab will leave sitting there one hour often with poor aircon and an extra 350 baht for the privilege

I'm so glad that my girlfriend bought an apartment in Samut Prakan...I always head there (from Swampy) upon arrival and store my heavy bags, so never have to worry about them on the Skytrain.  An easy 25 minute taxi ride in good conditions; rarely more than 45 min. with heavy traffic.

That's rubbish to rank suvarnabhum as the 9th worst. Ever been to Bahrain Manama that's a dive and Abu Dhabi is a nightmare too. I think it ranks high due to a colossal amount of tourists but Heathrow belongs there as does Gatwick. Suvarnabhum is a good airport roomy but easy to get around and pretty simple too and good links not far from the centrE. 

Not sure how or why Dubai made this list.  Its a great airport - used to live in the UAE.  I have traveled to some really sh*tty airports that should be on this list:

1.  Baghdad International

2.  Kabul (Karzai) International 

3. Sanaa (Yemen) International 

Hell, even Luang Prabang and Savankhet have pretty dumpy international airports.  And if folks think BKK is a dump .... try MNL.

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

That's rubbish to rank suvarnabhum as the 9th worst. Ever been to Bahrain Manama that's a dive and Abu Dhabi is a nightmare too. I think it ranks high due to a colossal amount of tourists but Heathrow belongs there as does Gatwick. Suvarnabhum is a good airport roomy but easy to get around and pretty simple too and good links not far from the centrE. 

Yeah AD is a surprise on how crappy it is ... considering its the country's capital airport.  

Archived