Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

webfact

26 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Not sure how or why Dubai made this list.  Its a great airport - used to live in the UAE.  I have traveled to some really sh*tty airports that should be on this list:

1.  Baghdad International

2.  Kabul (Karzai) International 

3. Sanaa (Yemen) International 

Hell, even Luang Prabang and Savankhet have pretty dumpy international airports.  And if folks think BKK is a dump .... try MNL.

Tripolis and Damascus 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a joke! How they come up with that points scoring system is beyond me. If you want to rate an airport or an airline, just ask frequent international travelers and they will be able to supply a very updated list.

Personally the worst international airport:  Bole, Addis Ababa 

... worst international airline: Antrak Air!

1 hour ago, kurtmartens said:

Not sure how or why Dubai made this list.  Its a great airport - used to live in the UAE.  I have traveled to some really sh*tty airports that should be on this list:

1.  Baghdad International

2.  Kabul (Karzai) International 

3. Sanaa (Yemen) International 

Hell, even Luang Prabang and Savankhet have pretty dumpy international airports.  And if folks think BKK is a dump .... try MNL.

well as an average traveller, I must confess that I did not have the pleasure to travel to Irak or Kabul lately if not, never have and perhaps never will.....you are CIA or whatever to stroll through such lovely airports? :post-4641-1156694083:

11 hours ago, Thechook said:

[...]

We fly from CNX to Melbourne and when we arrive at BKK its a 2 km walk to the departure lounge then its 2 km bus trip out onto the tarmac and a climb up into the plane.  [...]

At Dulles airport outside of Washington DC you leave the terminal and enter a vehicle that resembles a Star Wars troop carrier that takes you to your plane, and the whole boarding experience takes a while.  I only had to go through it once, and that was 10+ years ago.  I'm surprised more people don't complain about it.

dulles_carrier.jpg.8b00f7590df5120eade2f4e814d4b266.jpg

11 hours ago, Ralf61 said:

Worst airport? Cannot happen to the "Berliners"... (IATA: BER):smile:

I heard BER will have another delay.

For me the worst airport is Berlin Tegel. Took a flight from Frankfurt to Tegel last year and we had to wait for 2 hours to get our bags. Swampy is a great airport.

There are 1000 major airports across the world. Doubt they analyzed all of them to come up with their lists. And also Air Transat Canada is a joke in the top 10 airlines. Their aircraft seating is the most horribly cramped and absolutely minimal.

It´s absolutely nothing wrong with the airport. Just a bunch of people that complains all the time. Half of the time lists like this is made, money under the tables is chaning hands too. It´s big business for an airport to be seen in the news as top 10.

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

It´s absolutely nothing wrong with the airport. Just a bunch of people that complains all the time. Half of the time lists like this is made, money under the tables is chaning hands too. It´s big business for an airport to be seen in the news as top 10.

totally agree ....   Suvarnabhumi is a good airport ...  it has everything a traveller needs and the service is second to none.  These surveys are a load of crap and don't mean a damn thing ...   wasn't  Suvarnabhumi named as one of the best some time back ..  ? 

Go Thailand  !!

totally agree ....   Suvarnabhumi is a good airport ...  it has everything a traveller needs and the service is second to none.  These surveys are a load of crap and don't mean a damn thing ...   wasn't  Suvarnabhumi named as one of the best some time back ..  ?  Go Thailand  !! 

No. Has glaring absence of basic overnight transfer accommodation, general rest lounges or any shower rooms. Fly 15 hours from North America east coast and then have no where to freshen up after arriving Suvarnabhumi. Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore all have such services. But not Suvarnabhumi. Gross oversight when they built the airport.  

About any airport in america. the tsa treat you like sheep ready for slaughter they have words like.  Code red for a food looking woman in red. They treat people bad and if you say anything their 6th grade education comes out.

All in the name of keeping us safe.

About any airport in america. the tsa treat you like sheep ready for slaughter they have words like.  Code red for a food looking woman in red. They treat people bad and if you say anything their 6th grade education comes out.

All in the name of keeping us safe.

Ill never fly eithad again worst service. I asked for ice 4 times and didn't get any.

Maybe it was because I was wearing my Israeli defence force tshirt

I would vote it as one of the most boring in the world - all those luxury brand shops occupying the main area with no shoppers in them - compare that to Changi which has shop after shop dedicated to ordimary people, with stuff you might actually buy and can afford to buy. Its Thailand feeling it has to be in the high end market to make rich thai's swell with pride - I would like to know who in TAT thinks that this is what real customers want - they dont - the average flyer has money to spend, but not at Luxury Brand stores - wake up TAT! The best store there was a really nice bookstore near the Immigration exit which has now been kicked out for Lacoste - there was always people in the bookshop, which was run by Asia Books , a fabulous Thai company, and now it is just a faceless and empty International Brand store

It is very poorly signposted, I have always had some difficulty with the signposting since it first opened.

One signpost took me to a brick wall, I pointed it out to an airport worker, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Depends on who you ask!

But immigration is a nightmare, no passenger assistance to fill in landing card.

perhaps a information video on the entertainment system on inbound flights, in several languages showing how, where and what to fill in and sign the card. Oh forgot no writing instruments allowed so nothing to write with, share one pen among many passengers. Seems TAT could POP for Pens for inbound flights,.

Have an area where visitors could fill in the card with assistance from roaming "assistants".

The process is the problem, no organization, all culminating at the immigration Q area.

No barriers to keep people in line, no informational signs, oh sorry there was one but after you were already in the stampede for getting in a Q, and , better not say anymore.

Tour groups make the tour operator responsible to ensure every one their group has their paper work in order.

It could be so easy if Organized, but alas no one wants the responsibility as usual.

So again is only another list after all!

On one of the toilets on the floor where you get the buses to Pattaya you see the ladies sign, when looking for the gents, after asking someone, you find it is in a different place completely about 150 mts away.

16 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I wonder how long before this is put down to "old information" or a "misunderstanding". I'm not surprised though, as Swampy is a dump. 

If Swampy is a dump .....I'd hate to hear what name you would call some of Spain's Airports.

15 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Swampy is one of my favourite airports, what with its beautiful architecture and low priced good quality food, everything is well laid out, modern and accessable, never had delays of any kind either arriving or departing.

Although, Im sure those that hate all things Thailand will be rushing to agree with this nonsense article.

Me too, does an amazing job in many areas. I have always enjoyed Changi, one of my favourite Airports. But I'm truly surprised Kuala Lumpur is not high on the poor list, especially for missed flights and connections, I try to avoid it at all costs. The least friendly atmosphere of any I have visited.  I think people miss some things of real importance. Swampy does an amazing job handling volume travellers. Getting in or out of the airport is quite good compared to many. Yes, I have had delays there, but also in other airports that handled the increased volume during these disruptions a lot worse. 

And yes I am biased, I actually love Thailand.

I fly frequently and agree that Savarnabhumi and Dubai airports are not user friendly....but not sure why Changi is rated as the best....Singapore Airlines and airport staff are like robots...smile on smile off....no sincerety and very rigid....like a military regime...possibly a reflection of the strict control of the country and their subjects....but I admit it creates a safe and secure environment .... 

Reading some of the posts about swampy I wonder if I land at the same airport as the posters. 

Brunei has to be up there for one of the worst I've transited through ... even after the revamp.

Hmm. I live in a developed country (very developed) and always tell my friends how great I think swampy is, especially when compared to my own hometown, international airport.  Having passed through swampy 10 times, I have never had a problem. Thus, the negative comments I read here quite surprise me. 

Keep up the good work staff, I look forward to my next trip through this great airport. 

Swampy is not great but it is certainly not in the worst 10. Immigration is a pain in the arse but it always has been. Insufficient landing docks as mentioned already planes pulling up out on the tarmac and long bus trips. Parking is not too expensive, however car parking is a shambles ( same as any car parks in Bangkok). 

Try Melbourne airport. Parking $30 per hour. Pick up is a nightmare. Customs queues a mile long. 

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I think Survanambhumbi is alright generally but passport control can let it down.

Manchester's the same, passport control there can be really slow too, other than that it's not a bad airport, granted no theme parks but apart from that has everything else you need. 

agreed. coming in after a long haul flight waiting for an hour to get stamped through passport control is a drag. especially when there are so many lanes for thai nationals barely being used.

Archived