Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

Hi TVers,

I just bought a 2017 Fortuner and I would like to change my RIMs to the TRD Sportivo 20.

My OEM's are 18'' and Tires are from Bridgestone.

I am offered the TRD Sportivo RIMs with standard Dunlop 20''

for an extra 10,000THB I can upgrade to Toyo or Yokohama's Tires

Which Tires should I go for? Dunlop with no extra cost? or Toyo or Yokohama?

Thanks for the advice 

fortuner.jpg

trd rims.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought Dunlop for my bike. 1/2 the price of Pirelli & Michelin's etc.

Car tyres are all the same IMO some wear out quicker, some are quiet on road all that's important is the correct pressure.

I heard Continental is the best. But 20inch for fortuner will be lower profile so tyre might not be as durable. Why not stick to 18 and change the rims? You can still use the factory fitted Tires which are quite new.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Would prefer real experience from the drivers and motorist 

I'm a experience car user too and personally l wouldn't pay 10,000 extra for tyres in Thailand the charges for the other makes are because they are not made in Thailand.

If you go for other makes check the manufacture dates.

23 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

My OEM's are 18'' and Tires are from Bridgestone.

Again personally for ride comfort l'd stay with them.

People have reported that Bridgestones harden up here over time....Which was also a problem we found in the US with them when the climate went from snow in the winter to hot summers....Winter performance got slippery....

I wanted Michelin tires but an unpleasant sales guy made me not want to buy from him....

I bought a set of Yokohama Geolanders instead....

They've performed well enough that we now have them on 2 vehicles (suv's).....They are evidently made here which takes away any applicable import taxes....

5 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I heard Continental is the best. But 20inch for fortuner will be lower profile so tyre might not be as durable. Why not stick to 18 and change the rims? You can still use the factory fitted Tires which are quite new.

The TRD's sportivo rims for this model comes only in 20inch. 

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

They are evidently made here which takes away any applicable import taxes....

So why do they want to charge OP 10,000 baht extra don't makes sense in anyway shape or tyre form.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm a experience car user too and personally l wouldn't pay 10,000 extra for tyres in Thailand the charges for the other makes are because they are not made in Thailand.

If you go for other makes check the manufacture dates.

Again personally for ride comfort l'd stay with them.

I am offered brand new tires which have never touched the road b4 according to the sales rep. He will let me check the manufactured dates.

right now Personally I am quite comfortable with my OEMS and Tires as well. My WIFE WANTS THE SPORTY LOOK so she wants me to change them. She is paying for the RIMS LOL woohooo!

Just now, Kwasaki said:

So why do they want to charge OP 10,000 baht extra don't makes sense in anyway shape or tyre form.

according to the sales, the Dunlops are standard tires, but the Yoko's and Toyo's are of a premium grade. 

Are there different grades within the brands itself? like Yoko maybe have standard to premium grade tires. Should I ask for more info on the "premium" grade tires offered so everyone can kindly help me decide :)

4 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

I am offered brand new tires which have never touched the road b4 according to the sales rep. He will let me check the manufactured dates.

right now Personally I am quite comfortable with my OEMS and Tires as well. My WIFE WANTS THE SPORTY LOOK so she wants me to change them. She is paying for the RIMS LOL woohooo!

OK l'll bail out of this thread,   as they say here " up to you "  :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm gonna get the popcorn out, because at the end of this thread the OP will have had more brands suggested as he even asked for, and be more confused than ever.

I only have 3 options. Dunlop, Toyo and Yoko's. There definitely alot in the Market. My present Brio went from a Michelin (lasted almost 4years) to a cheaper

Goodyear. Honestly I feel they are the same. 

As this Fortuner is my 2nd Car. I still don't have much experience with regards to this. So any advice is sincerely welcomed. 

25 minutes ago, shady86 said:

can i use 18'' tires for a 20 inch rim?

2 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Are there different grades within the brands itself?

Sales hype but sorter " Yes "  but as l said some tyres can be quieter on the road when going to a lower profile.

From memory l believe it's Yokohama that are quiet, that would be important to me.

I can see there is gonna be lots of different opinions posted whatever tyre a person has got there the best. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

The F1 Goodyear on directional tyres on my wife's Yaris are amazing but noisy.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sales hype but sorter " Yes "  but as l said some tyres can be quieter on the road when going to a lower profile.

From memory l believe it's Yokohama that are quiet, that would be important to me.

I can see there is gonna be lots of different opinions posted whatever tyre a person has got there the best. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

The F1 Goodyear on directional tyres on my wife's Yaris are amazing but noisy.

currently the bridgestones on the fortuner are pretty quiet and comfy. 

I like this feel very much. If Yokohama's are like what you advice, I would want to go for this.

9 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

I only have 3 options. Dunlop, Toyo and Yoko's. There definitely alot in the Market. My present Brio went from a Michelin (lasted almost 4years) to a cheaper

Goodyear. Honestly I feel they are the same. 

As this Fortuner is my 2nd Car. I still don't have much experience with regards to this. So any advice is sincerely welcomed. 

Your right but again your choice going from 18 to 20 means lower profile as l would think you know.

Never tried Yoko's only heard about them,  10,000 or free what do you want. :biggrin:

Bridgestone, Dunlop & Michelin are race tyre suppliers dunno about the other makes.

8 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

currently the bridgestones on the fortuner are pretty quiet and comfy. 

I like this feel very much. If Yokohama's are like what you advice, I would want to go for this.

I like Bridgestone as l've said can't help you on a Yoko's ride.

A lower profile you may well notice a difference, that will only be revealed when you make your choice.

Let us know the out come. :thumbsup:

This is the Toyo tire offered
toyo.jpg.567862b689d4a7cd597cbf1c55db7cd7.jpg

I'm not sure if comfort is your priority but trust me, going from 65 to 50 tyre reduces the tyre width and you sacrifice comfort for looks. Your ride will get much bumpier especially on normal Thai roads. And you might want to forget going off road because the chances of tyre and rim damage are much higher with lower profile tyre. I would suggest that you test drive a fortuner fitted with 20inch before deciding. Regarding of brand, I would pay extra 10k for Dunlop, I don't think you will feel much difference, maybe less tyre noise.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Your right but again your choice going from 18 to 20 means lower profile as l would think you know.

Never tried Yoko's only heard about them,  10,000 or free what do you want. :biggrin:

Bridgestone, Dunlop & Michelin are race tyre suppliers dunno about the other makes.

FREE!!!!! 

Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin are household names which I see everywhere. Even someone with as little of experience as me has seen them all around growing up till now.

Personally I wouldn't want to spend more tires already. 

Anyways the TRD RIMS are 79,000Baht. Turning in my 18'' OEM and Tires are valued at 31,000Baht 

So the Dunlops + TRD RIMs are 79,000Baht - 31,000Baht = 48,000Baht. Quite Ex I know, but the Wife wants em and she's paying so ok.

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I'm not sure if comfort is your priority but trust me, going from 65 to 50 tyre reduces the tyre width and you sacrifice comfort for looks. Your ride will get much bumpier especially on normal Thai roads. And you might want to forget going off road because the chances of tyre and rim damage are much higher with lower profile tyre. I would suggest that you test drive a fortuner fitted with 20inch before deciding. Regarding of brand, I would pay extra 10k for Dunlop, I don't think you will feel much difference, maybe less tyre noise.

Thanks! the Dunlops are cheaper than the Toyos and Yokohama's by 10,000baht. I am not gonna go off-road at all.. Just driving around Samut Prakan and maybe to the provinces for holidays thats all.

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The 20" Dunlops came on my wife's 'tuna, and they drive nice, but they do seem to be more of a sport tire than a comfort tire. They are pretty quiet .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thank You! 

12 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Good advice only it's tyre height that's different & the Dun's are free.

Apart from mods my wife's Yaris with low profiles l run 4 psi less than recomemded otherwise it's like sitting on a bowling ball.  :biggrin:

Parada spec-x may be worth a look too.

http://www.yokohamathailand.com/Products/parada-specx.asp

I'd stick with 18" but get some nice rims and tires. The sportivo 20" wheels have a shorter sidewall tire and may be a little harsher than when on 18".

Get some ironman foam cell comfort shocks for better ride comfort on sealed roads. These are available in Thailand. 

http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-products/suspension/shock-absorbers

I think going from 65 to 50 reduces the profile not the width.

A 225 x 65 is the same width as a 225 x 50

Width X second number = profile

A 225 x 65 / 16 is taller than a 225 x 50 / 16

Thanks! the Dunlops are cheaper than the Toyos and Yokohama's by 10,000baht. I am not gonna go off-road at all.. Just driving around Samut Prakan and maybe to the provinces for holidays thats all.

Sorry I mean wouldn't want to pay extra 10k but if money is not an issue, I would go for Yokohama Geolanders. It will be ok driving on motorways but if your area has lots of holes and bumps, you might want to think twice. Also you might want to consider changing your spare too because you can't drive far in case you need to change due to different rim and profile.

Archived