Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As TA said they are regarded as Lo Pro, you dont need glasses. With an Aspect ratio of say 65 the sidewall height is 65% of the tyres width ,so an average tyre is 60 to 65. Tyres rated as 45 to 50 are regarded as Lo Profile.  But what does Michlin know as compared to an expert.:stoner:

19 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

according to the sales, the Dunlops are standard tires, but the Yoko's and Toyo's are of a premium grade. 

Are there different grades within the brands itself? like Yoko maybe have standard to premium grade tires. Should I ask for more info on the "premium" grade tires offered so everyone can kindly help me decide :)

The larger manufacturers make a range of tyres to suit different requirements.   E.G. Dunlop Thailand http://www.dunloptire.co.th/product/g/2

Some old Bridgestone and Yokohama product guides are below.

The sporty road tyres are designed for more grip but tend to be more expensive / lower profile and wear faster.   The less performance oriented tyres are usually cheaper, have longer life but less grip.  There are also different tyre designs for off road etc.  

I know the Yokohama Parada Spec X tyres are a good choice for vehicles like the fortuner used on road.  Excellent grip and ride but they do wear quickly and are not good off road.  

Tire reviews most from USA here https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Good Luck

Yoko Product-Line.jpg

Bridgestone SUV tiresCategoryLarge3.jpg

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

265/50R20 107V. Sorry for the late reply but have been out for lunch.

OK so they are a designated SUV tyre not a car so the 265 is the reason l guess the tread depth must take up the difference in the height figure otherwise it's nothing more than confusing, :unsure:

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Maybe true but at least its better that a 12 Year old Vigo lump. That's at best tired & out dated..

I've been in his old lump :biggrin: and it's far from tired l would say having had the same motor.

Always a personal thing motors you buy the one you like and about 3 months later you see something you like better, a bit like taking a wife l guess. :laugh:

There not low profile on the 20" But you are correct about what it'll handle like, only Buddha knows that. Also would you have to change the speedo setting?
The Spivo has different springs and shocks.
Used to be 30psi all round on my 18" rims.

I think a 255x65-18's overall height would be about one inch taller than a 255x50-20, or about 3.5%

So assuming you are going from the 18" to the 20" and the speedo was correct to start with, when the speedo reads 100, you'd only be going about 96.

Of course, always best to check with a GPS for actual.

57 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Here is a handy little 'tool' ... https://tiresize.com/comparison/

and the Tran-mobile maybe a few years old but certainly doesn't look it ...

I wasn't posting as to how good it looked. I was referring about how many new models and updates they have had in the last 12+ years

I was in my old Vigo the other week and if you compare that to the new Revo. Well you just cant. 

My old Spivo looked like new when I sold it. Still didn't compare in anyway, to the new one. 

5 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

As TA said they are regarded as Lo Pro, you dont need glasses. With an Aspect ratio of say 65 the sidewall height is 65% of the tyres width ,so an average tyre is 60 to 65. Tyres rated as 45 to 50 are regarded as Lo Profile.  But what does Michlin know as compared to an expert.:stoner:

They maybe regarded as low profile but they don't look it. Have you seen the snaps???

9 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Snap of side view of Spivo with it's crappy Back wheels. I think they look crappy anyway.

I still got one. Great lump except for those bloody Wheels. 

Would be nice to see what your lump looks like if you have them fitted.

IMGP0019.JPG

Looks really Nice to me except for that front spivo blackie lol 

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Maybe true but at least its better that a 12 Year old Vigo lump. That's at best tired & out dated..

How do you know my TEN year old Vigo is tired, you know the ride that has the same engine as the other Vigo's and Fortuner's a year back. The ride that has only 100k on the clock, doesn't burn oil, no rattles, knocks, squeaks, and can burn rubber off the line with an auto box..?

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Moonmoon said:

I am trying to find information on google but all i got are reviews from online magazines or the company themselves.

Would prefer real experience from the drivers and motorist 

I use Yokohama on my Toyota 4 x 4, they replaced BF Goodrich AT/S which in turn replaced Wranglers - there is no comparison. The Yoko's are quite quiet (AT /s ) Geolandar. They are the best tyres yet for wear and grip, excellent in the wet.

The Wranglers were Malaysian made and were OK, the but the BF Goodrich tyres were the worst I have had, they wore extremely quickly.

1 hour ago, transam said:

How do you know my TEN year old Vigo is tired, you know the ride that has the same engine as the other Vigo's and Fortuner's a year back. The ride that has only 100k on the clock, doesn't burn oil, no rattles, knocks, squeaks, and can burn rubber off the line with an auto box..?

2.8 2 Years back 2015 it you want to be correct. My last spivo had only done 90+ km, like your one looked like new. I wasn't referring to clapped out I was referring to dated because of all the updates new models there have been since yours was first produced. As far a wheel spin I put that down to crap tyres 2 wheel drive and a light rear end. Not overly impressed.

My friend has a Vigo and that burns rubber in every gear it is a manual though. 

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

2.8 2 Years back 2015 it you want to be correct. My last spivo had only done 90+ km, like your one looked like new. I wasn't referring to clapped out I was referring to dated because of all the updates new models there have been since yours was first produced. As far a wheel spin I put that down to crap tyres 2 wheel drive and a light rear end. Not overly impressed.

What updates that make my ride a "tractor" in your opinion, forget about the engine cos they produce about the same HP...?

That wagon wheel look isn't appealing to me - especially on a 4x4.....Almost makes the entire car defective - in a humorous way....

Not once have I seen it & thought - wow, that looks good....

Under all driving conditions you want a solid footprint of rubber on the ground backed by a substantial, solidly built wheel......With these road conditions (as well as some really odd angles to drain water) it's better to lean toward the safe side....

Unless it's strickly a mall crawler....

8 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Michelin of course.

Are you sure that it is worth saving on the only part of your car that is in contact with the road and can avoid you to die ?

Why is Mich made in LOS better than the rest...?

Just now, transam said:

Why is Mich made in LOS better than the rest...?

You pay for technology, not for the place where it's done.

Rubber used on a tire costs 100 thb, technology more.

Anyway, maybe it's ok to use any brand, even deestone on a truck, but on a German fast car I would not use these craps.

6 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

You pay for technology, not for the place where it's done.

Rubber used on a tire costs 100 thb, technology more.

Anyway, maybe it's ok to use any brand, even deestone on a truck, but on a German fast car I would not use these craps.

So a Thai brand that has the "E" embossed on the sidewall in your opinion is crap....?

On 6/13/2017 at 11:45 PM, fredob43 said:

Yes they are 50 but their certainly not low profile. Will take a snap and stick it in. Do you think they are low profile now.

IMGP0012.JPG

Tire size also determines the rolling circumference of the tire.  If you change wheel size from 18 to 20 inches and the tires have the same rolling circumference, the 20-inch tire will have 1inch less sidewall between the rim and the road. That is a low-profile tire.  

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

My grandpa had a saying about "big fish " stories. "The first liar doesn't stand a chance". The only thing your friends Vigo burns through every gear is oil and gas.

4 hours ago, transam said:

What updates that make my ride a "tractor" in your opinion, forget about the engine cos they produce about the same HP...?

Where did I mention Tractor. I just said dated. And in 12+ years it will be.

As I cant mention the engine or the later VN turbo. I'll start with the interior. Everything dash seats sound reducing changed.

Exterior every panel changed from front to back. Not forgetting the lights that were at best the pit's. I had an 11year old Vigo so do know what's been altered. The gearbox is now a 6 speed and not 4. How does that grab you.  

Nice lump then but as I said now dated.

2 hours ago, transam said:

So a Thai brand that has the "E" embossed on the sidewall in your opinion is crap....?

Who knows. Question. Have you ever seen the copy watch's that are sold here. They look very similar if not the same as a real one. They only fall down if you try to use it in water.

38 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Who knows. Question. Have you ever seen the copy watch's that are sold here. They look very similar if not the same as a real one. They only fall down if you try to use it in water.

Are YOU saying the embossed "E" on Thai tyres that my chum sells by the thousand in probably the biggest outlet in LOS are dodgy...?

54 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Where did I mention Tractor. I just said dated. And in 12+ years it will be.

As I cant mention the engine or the later VN turbo. I'll start with the interior. Everything dash seats sound reducing changed.

Exterior every panel changed from front to back. Not forgetting the lights that were at best the pit's. I had an 11year old Vigo so do know what's been altered. The gearbox is now a 6 speed and not 4. How does that grab you.  

Nice lump then but as I said now dated.

You are now talking out yer ass............facepalm.gif.d5febd4f38d15e6ff79c0c87c39f913f.gif

Archived