Crackdown on illegal hotels in Hua Hin with "mafia" connections

webfact

We, (my Thai gal of 28 years and I) just completed the purchase of a condo at Takiab beach.
We took 15 months to decide but jumped any way, noticed that there's less Air BNB customers than there was a few months ago and there's a sign in the foyer saying "this isn't a hotel and any daily or weekly stays is a criminal offence" or words to that effect.
Anyone else seeing similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm a new poster and I obviously haven't explained myself lucidly or maybe our experience is unusual.
It goes like this: you own a condo and you pay body corporate fees, other owners lease their properties out on a daily/weekly basis and gobble up the resources of the pool, staff, cleaning etc.
Now my condo has signs everywhere saying this is illegal and any one breaking the Hotel Act is liable to criminal prosecution.
Heavy stuff.
Wondered it anyone else has seen this in Hua Hun?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/10/2017 at 9:52 PM, wakeupplease said:

Months you mean and it will do until that day the Chinese wake up and that day will come and then what, back to USA and Europe again to attract guests

If that is the thinking there are some very hard up years coming here in the non to distant future, but the sexpats will be ok I think

In their increasingly misguided attempt to manipulate the tourist market, they are also discouraging the sexpats. In Phuket, Samui, and Chiang Mai, the bar scene is a pale shadow of what it used to be. And I have been told it is a deliberate attempt to make Thailand more "family friendly". It is really just a Quaker/Mormon/Puritan/Fundamentalist (posing as Buddhists) knee jerk move, that is just another nail in the foot, long term, and I believe it is not only misguided, but based on a fake sense of morality. Human trafficking is ok, slavery is ok, treating the migrant workers like garbage is ok, scamming tourists is ok, running drugs is ok (as long as you have the right associates), but sex is bad. 

After all, the women have to make a living, right, and it is one of the few options out there, for those that do not want to settle for 300-400 baht a day. Not judging anything one way or the other. Just making a point.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, BKK1969 said:

We, (my Thai gal of 28 years and I) just completed the purchase of a condo at Takiab beach.
We took 15 months to decide but jumped any way, noticed that there's less Air BNB customers than there was a few months ago and there's a sign in the foyer saying "this isn't a hotel and any daily or weekly stays is a criminal offence" or words to that effect.
Anyone else seeing similar?

Over the past year or so there have been several threads about that topic and those signs.  Seems to be a combination of condo owners upset that they don't get the peaceful, secure enjoyment of their property when they have unknown (dodgy?) holiday-ers traipsing about and partying at all hours, and local hotel associations who are hurting in the downturn and putting pressure on the authorities to even the playing field and get rid of illegal competition.  And throw in some anti-Chinese sentiment since a lot of the new tourists are Chinese, who rent from Chinese condo investment syndicates.

Over the past year or so there have been several threads about that topic and those signs.  Seems to be a combination of condo owners upset that they don't get the peaceful, secure enjoyment of their property when they have unknown (dodgy?) holiday-ers traipsing about and partying at all hours, and local hotel associations who are hurting in the downturn and putting pressure on the authorities to even the playing field and get rid of illegal competition.  And throw in some anti-Chinese sentiment since a lot of the new tourists are Chinese, who rent from Chinese condo investment syndicates.

Thanks for that input.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

Archived