Motivation: relationship?

eve55

22 hours ago, observer90210 said:

sure have made it....usually make it  just before the weekend party and fun....and then by Monday time to Stop and prepare for the new one to come on Friday, if I get lucky...if not, it will be for next weel!!:cheesy:

Erh, made mistake, hope you'll find the girl to settle down.

Same as Robblok. I'm a very happy single guy, (having ditched the 'baggage' on several previous occasions).  

At my age, I highly doubt that any woman is going to be concerned about the size of my beer gut (or the size of my genitalia!).  It's the size of my wallet that matters :)

But assuming that one is in a serious relationship, it would be great if both partners could encourage each other to stay in shape and to eat healthily, if only to maximise their time together on this earth.

Often, one sees couples who are obese and plagued with illness or disease as a result of their obesity. I think a third party outside that relationship needs to step in and motivate them to do something about their diet/weight issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 7:49 AM, simon43 said:

Same as Robblok. I'm a very happy single guy, (having ditched the 'baggage' on several previous occasions).  

At my age, I highly doubt that any woman is going to be concerned about the size of my beer gut (or the size of my genitalia!).  It's the size of my wallet that matters :)

But assuming that one is in a serious relationship, it would be great if both partners could encourage each other to stay in shape and to eat healthily, if only to maximise their time together on this earth.

Often, one sees couples who are obese and plagued with illness or disease as a result of their obesity. I think a third party outside that relationship needs to step in and motivate them to do something about their diet/weight issues.

My wife encourages me to exercise daily and eat well, not because she is particularly concerned about shape, though i am sure that's a factor, but more because a healthy lifestyle hopefully promotes good health and longevity. Luckily for me I generally enjoy running and gym work, so for me it isn't a drag, just a part of my normal routine, though 4am starts are sometimes a challenge.

On 2017-06-14 at 4:35 PM, eve55 said:

Is your motivation about relationship? You want to build a better shape so as to get someone's love?

I would doubt that love comes out of having a great body - attraction and desire for sex does however.

I suppose everyone have their own reasons for getting/staying in shape, here are mine

1) Self respect - I want to feel good abt what I see in the mirror and how I come across to other people

2) Health - I'm a firm believer in the health benefits from working out. Very rarely get sick, have great energy and look younger than most people my age (I'm in my mid 40'ies)

3) The habit of it - once you really give it a chance for a couple of months at least, then it's a hard habit to break and also makes you more cautious with health hazards like booze and fast food. What's the point of building something up and then destroy it the next day?

As for the usual frequent beer bellies around thinking that a thick wallet can buy them love - you're delusional as always. What you have is a long time subscription for paid sex services at best - or even more likely a time sharing arrangement without knowing it.

Look around you at people the same age as you..I do  and I don't like in many instances what I see.That's one of the reasons that motivates me to exercise daily and not to over indulge and hit the p.ss too much.Not saying you have to live like a Buddhist monk..far from it but take a bit of pride in yourself and you will be amazed how good you feel about yourself then and how  positive.Girls pick up more on this than anything..other than the size of your wallet that is..LoL

What you have is a long time subscription for paid sex services at best...

Perhaps a short time subscription, rather than a long time subscription - beer bellies greatly increase your risk of a heart attack.

Actually handsome and no money does not motivate too many woman 

Oh dear, I'll have to look for a better-paid job then.....

I think if you try to base self improvements on any reason other than a personal desire for good health and a sense of wellbeing, you are, in a sense, denying your self-empowerment and handing responsibility to some imaginary person (which includes prospective sexual partners). You might be setting yourself up for disillusion and disappointment that mioght work against your own best interests. Love yourself first. Good luck.

I think this is the wrong forum to talk about weight loss efforts for relationship's sake.... since most of the demographics here are...well.... in the mindset of "if you have money, you have honey", doesn't matter what you look like. Which is true in LOS. Hence it's a moot point trying to discuss this on here. 

since most of the demographics here are...well.... in the mindset of "if you have money, you have honey"

IMHO, that's a very wrong assumption to make.  Without wishing to 'bait you', do you really think all men in Thailand are in the country for paid sex?  

I'm sure there are many men who are in solid and monogamous relationships, or single guys such as myself, who don't have the slightest interest in risking STDs and a severe drop in their bank balance by frequenting bar girls.

For me, the greatest motivation to lose weight is for health reasons.  I would hope that by looking after my body (diet and health), then I can have a long and happy life.

31 minutes ago, simon43 said:

IMHO, that's a very wrong assumption to make.  Without wishing to 'bait you', do you really think all men in Thailand are in the country for paid sex?  

I'm sure there are many men who are in solid and monogamous relationships, or single guys such as myself, who don't have the slightest interest in risking STDs and a severe drop in their bank balance by frequenting bar girls.

For me, the greatest motivation to lose weight is for health reasons.  I would hope that by looking after my body (diet and health), then I can have a long and happy life.

Not all, but many. And judging by what they babble and how they bicker on here, I can just imagine them: retired western men with beer pouches, seeking young "ladies". To them, of course, losing weight is not important because they will have the mentality of "oh just buy her a car/gold necklace/a water buffalo" and she will stay with you. If not, there's always the next 20 year old bar girl with a sad story to tell..

Well, you have your opinion about this, and I have mine.  Both opinions are probably difficult to prove :)

In any case, please don't assume that ThaiVisa is representational of the typical male expat in Thailand.  I can imagine that many expat men don't have time to post on here - they are too busy helping their wives with the shopping, gardening, house-cleaning, looking after the children etc  etc :)

On 13-7-2017 at 10:36 AM, simon43 said:

It doesnt matter if you are in relationship or not and being  monogamous. You pay ! You let your partner buy a lovely dress, take her to restaurant, take care of her or what ever, but then you pay in advance to tickle her mind for a lovely evening. You always pay. 

You pay ! You let your partner buy a lovely dress, take her to restaurant, take care of her or what ever, but then you pay in advance to tickle her mind for a lovely evening. You always pay. 

Er right..... And what has this to do with motivational relationships?

On 15-7-2017 at 3:55 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

It doesnt matter if you are in relationship or not and being  monogamous. You pay ! You let your partner buy a lovely dress, take her to restaurant, take care of her or what ever, but then you pay in advance to tickle her mind for a lovely evening. You always pay. 

Guess you never dated financially independent girls.. girls that paid their way. Guys don't always pay.. guys that have no other attractive assets beside their wallet always pay.

Anyway getting in shape for an other is a bad idea.. usually wont work.

On 7/10/2017 at 1:34 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Be in shape for another? No way, what is next step? surgery on all your body parts?

Just change coz you want so, for yourself !!

Absolutely! I've always strived to stay in good shape, hence my 42-year long relationship with the gym, BUT now, with a much younger wife, I have double motivation to stay in shape. Apart from wanting to look as young as possible for my wife I also want to be around for her as long as possible.

In the end, the source of motivation isn't important rather than results. Last year we had a nasty dispute with our neighbour. I used the stress induced adrenalin as motivation to train harder and had one of my best training years ever.

Archived