Where is the speed trap Kk?

starky

29 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

There is no need to know! Drive within the speed limits!

Feel free to abide by the speed limits, I wont be! The problem in Thailand is traffic bunches up, then they all drive so close together its the ideal scenario for an accident! I prefer to get by the traffic and have some road to myself!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CGW said:

Feel free to abide by the speed limits, I wont be! The problem in Thailand is traffic bunches up, then they all drive so close together its the ideal scenario for an accident! I prefer to get by the traffic and have some road to myself!

What a poor attitude! Consider yourself no better than a Thai driver.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Good you can keep the cameras busy. It wasnt you by central plaza today cutting everyone up so you could be first at the lights was it. Definatley a Farang.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:40 PM, starky said:

Correct, and as it's the first time I've been done in 7 years living up that way I guess I am only human after all. I only ask because in Australia we have many speed variable "traps" where you will come off a highway into an area where it may go 90 then 80 then 90 all within a couple hundred metres. 

Yes and the government try to tell you it's not revenue raising the same way that years ago the cops used to set up their radar at the bottom of a hill where the chances were your speed had increased

12 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

What a poor attitude! Consider yourself no better than a Thai driver.

Wow, now that is hurtful! don't hold back, just say what you are thinking!  :shock1:

"No better than a Thai driver" just how hurtful do you mean to be? fact is I consider myself a far better driver than the average Thai, I took driving lessons and passed a test some 45 years ago, I understand vehicle dynamics, my vehicle is roadworthy, I am situationally aware, I am careful & forward thinking, I have road sense, i don't take drugs or drink & drive & I do not drive selfishly, I am not a "sheep", these are all requisites the vast majority of Thai's are totally unaware off!

The standard of driving was actually better here 30 years ago than it is today  :shock1:

Drive safe now!

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Wow, now that is hurtful! don't hold back, just say what you are thinking!  :shock1:

"No better than a Thai driver" just how hurtful do you mean to be? fact is I consider myself a far better driver than the average Thai, I took driving lessons and passed a test some 45 years ago, I understand vehicle dynamics, my vehicle is roadworthy, I am situationally aware, I am careful & forward thinking, I have road sense, i don't take drugs or drink & drive & I do not drive selfishly, I am not a "sheep", these are all requisites the vast majority of Thai's are totally unaware off!

The standard of driving was actually better here 30 years ago than it is today  :shock1:

Drive safe now!

Well said but one point if i may.

I do not drive selfishly," sort of a contradiction  to a part of  your earlier post. "Feel free to abide by the speed limits, I wont be!"

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Well said but one point if i may.

I do not drive selfishly," sort of a contradiction  to a part of  your earlier post. "Feel free to abide by the speed limits, I wont be!"

If you consider not driving "sheep like" with the untrained, unaware masses and driving above the speed limit and interpret this as selfish? up to you....

Just now, CGW said:

If you consider not driving "sheep like" with the untrained, unaware masses and driving above the speed limit and interpret this as selfish? up to you....

Again if i may you say "sheep like" so you are sugesting then that everybody who drives to the law on speed limits, as they do not want to get a speeding ticket are sheep and untrained drivers then. Well bha bha then im a sheep .

Personaly i would applaud drivers sticking to the law. But hey up to you

^Again it is your choice to interpret as you see fit!

If you are one of the many who drive 2m behind the car in front of you following the leader who will undoubtedly be hogging the "fast" lane, at the prescribed speed limit off course - up to you!

Just now, CGW said:

^Again it is your choice to interpret as you see fit!

If you are one of the many who drive 2m behind the car in front of you following the leader who will undoubtedly be hogging the "fast" lane, at the prescribed speed limit off course - up to you!

Nothing to do with what you said before changing the direction of your argument

You said you happily break speed limits then say you do not  drive selfishly. I drive within the law. I leave a 3 to 4 second gap from the car in front. Ps brush up on your highway code there is no such thing as a fast lane overtaking lane yes. All lanes have the same speed limit. So please dont try to justify your speeding on other drivers your car your foot on accelerator your decision. Blaming other people is not a justification or a point that will hold up in law when you mow down an innocent person whilst speeding so you can be out front. So as you say Up to you.

^Fast lane or overtaking lane? interpret at will :smile: "mow down an innocent person"? - in the middle of nowhere after 45 years driving? bit dramatic don't you reckon?

Drive safe!

1 hour ago, CGW said:

^Fast lane or overtaking lane? interpret at will :smile: "mow down an innocent person"? - in the middle of nowhere after 45 years driving? bit dramatic don't you reckon?

Drive safe!

No not really you admit to speeding so you will spped in towns and cities to get in front this topic is about speed traps in KK. Interpretation is key once a speed merchant always a speed merchant. Ps 35 years count for nothing been on the roads a lot longer than that and im still learning and adapting. Just remember there is no such thing as a fast lane here. 

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No not really you admit to speeding so you will spped in towns and cities to get in front this topic is about speed traps in KK. Interpretation is key once a speed merchant always a speed merchant. Ps 35 years count for nothing been on the roads a lot longer than that and im still learning and adapting. Just remember there is no such thing as a fast lane here. 

"Speed merchant"? This is a public forum, for whatever reason people generally, take a negative view of a poster, (TV excels at this!) you have classified me as you see fit, the reality is I am a 60+ year old person with a clean driving license, never had a speeding ticket, hate to say this - never been involved in a road accident and certainly never mown down any innocent people.

It might surprise you since my last post I have driven 264k into and out of KK, no speeding tickets, no accidents, I only speed when it is safe to do so & I'm certainly not dumb enough to speed where I know there are speed cameras! of which KK has its fair share, doubtless it has made that section of road safer as 10+ - years back it was a virtual deathtrap.

I have no idea just how much driving you do, but if you are on a long trip in Thailand and you are the only vehicle on the road & the road and conditions are good, as they are a lot of the time once outside of the cities, do you still stick rigidly to the speed limit?

Yes i do beacuse i am in no rush to get there if anything as i do a lot of driving through the night i go slower than the speed limit.

I have not classified you as anything your own posting did that. Anyway safe driving and remember half an hour extra on a journey is better than a long time dead. Outside lanes are for overtaking and are not fast lanes. 

23 hours ago, CGW said:

You've received a few negative responses to this... But I kind of agree with driving philosophy that its safer to drive away from a group of bunch up vehicles than be caught within it or behind because other will 'bunch' too tightly and leave little room for safe manoeuvring and very rarely permit a decent gap between yourself and the car in front. 

IMO: It is better to gently get out of the traffic into a patch of clearer road. 

The key word there is 'gently', which doesn't mean bullying your way through traffic, not that I'm assuming you do, but its clear that some posters read too much into posts and see that as you have mentioned that you will 'stretch' the speed limits to escape bunched up traffic you are clearly a driving hoon, which you have not provided any evidence of. 

When driving beyond city limits on the open road we all have to drive with a level of common sense and practicality given the driving conditions in Thailand, not everyone else who passes others is a hooligan or dangerous driver, they may be applying common sense in getting out in front of the bunched up pack. Lagging behind will only lead to further tailgaters, so that doesn't really work. 

^Be careful what you say! the wolves are waiting :smile:

"Driving hoon" I had to look that up! I can assure you I don't conduct "hoon" activities, though some will choose not to believe that!

The less time you spend on the roads the less time you expose yourself to the dangers therein - worth considering? Drive faster & safely! :shock1:

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Drive safe now!

My point remains valid.This is about attitude to the law and you apparently being above it for your own selfish ends. Having driving lessons and knowing how to drive is irrelevant. Attitude mate,  attitude! Most of the problem with THAI drivers is their bad attitude thus me liking you to them. I am sorry,  I cannot agree with ignoring the law.

19 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

My point remains valid.This is about attitude to the law and you apparently being above it for your own selfish ends. Having driving lessons and knowing how to drive is irrelevant. Attitude mate,  attitude! Most of the problem with THAI drivers is their bad attitude thus me liking you to them. I am sorry,  I cannot agree with ignoring the law.

Fantastic! somebody that respects Thai law, thats a first.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:05 PM, riche60 said:

Having been in buriram for 10 years there are no cameras from pattaya to buriram unless they are set at 170 kph!!!!

These cameras around me in Sakon Nakhon are really new, so if I were you I would expect to see them there real soon, as the cops are making money hand over fist with them. I know a guy that got three on a trip that he has been doing for years. 

Personaly I see all these speed traps as a positive. Theres always a lot moaning about speeding drivers on here well it probably wont stop the speed merchants but it will hit there pockets then eventualy you never know repeat offenders lose there car. Lets hope

On 6/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, impulse said:

While I don't speed as a general philosophy (too much stress on a long drive), it's a little more difficult when the speed limit signs don't tell you when you've gone from 120 KPH to 80 KPH and then to 60 KPH (?) when you hit some kind of imaginary lines between expressway, highway and city.  Then there's the signs that seem to be advisory (again ?) that flash 80 KPH on the 120 KPH motorway when all the traffic is still doing 120 around me.  

I'm aided by the old klunker I drive that seems to like 90-100 KPH and rattles when I push it higher.  It'll go faster quite safely, but it's just not comfortable.  (Reminds me of an old GF that used to tell me she was built for comfort, not for speed)

I'm interested to know if anyone got tickets under 120. My belief is that no cameras are set for any other speed (regardless of the limit).

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

That's fine - but you need to be clear about the law. For example on U-turn bridges, are there any laws about moving over to the right so that I can squeeze through and create an extra lane on the left side?

How about motorways - enter from the sliproad at 60km/h and move over to the 2nd 3rd lanes so that I can pass in the 'slow' lane at 120km/h while you lot slow down overtaking cars in the middle lane?

Are there laws about overtaking right/left on motorways?

Are you the only one to stop at a red light after 10 cars filter to a left turn and there's no sign saying you can or you can't?

The law is designed for 1930, 'motorcycle' is a 2-wheel vehicle unsafe at any speed in excess of 60km/h and should always be ridden on the left because it is too slow to keep up with traffic in the street when it's speed is over 40km/h right?

Your comment is, frankly, ludicrous.

4 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

That's fine - but you need to be clear about the law. For example on U-turn bridges, are there any laws about moving over to the right so that I can squeeze through and create an extra lane on the left side?

How about motorways - enter from the sliproad at 60km/h and move over to the 2nd 3rd lanes so that I can pass in the 'slow' lane at 120km/h while you lot slow down overtaking cars in the middle lane?

Are there laws about overtaking right/left on motorways?

Are you the only one to stop at a red light after 10 cars filter to a left turn and there's no sign saying you can or you can't?

The law is designed for 1930, 'motorcycle' is a 2-wheel vehicle unsafe at any speed in excess of 60km/h and should always be ridden on the left because it is too slow to keep up with traffic in the street when it's speed is over 40km/h right?

Much like yours i must say

11 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Somebody with a degree of sense on TV that doesn't feel the need to make a thoughtless attack - well done!

My last words on this follows as people are making this personal:

"Some" of the speed limits are ludicrous, as an example the road from my house to the highway is 28 kilometers, there are very few houses, there are even less people around, the road is in good condition yet in places the speed limit is 30 kph as there are some corners that I guess "drivers" have had difficulties negotiating at times, should I slow to walking pace to go around these corners? to those that say yes, I can only surmise you have forgotten how to think for yourselves!

Some posters seem to think that meandering through the country in the middle of the night when the body is at its lowest ebb is a safe way to travel! laughable! If the police did their job and people drove in a correct manner and left the "fast" lane clear for faster traffic instead of selfishly hogging it traffic would flow, but this is Thailand and nothing is going to change soon, including the way I drive.

Brings up a question:

is there no system here of accumulating/earning "points" for major traffic offenses?

Seems not.

In my last country a really excessive speeding fine would earn you a point and driving ban for a specific time (driving license confiscated/revoked).

More consequences when collecting too many points.

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Somebody with a degree of sense on TV that doesn't feel the need to make a thoughtless attack - well done!

"Some" of the speed limits are ludicrous, as an example the road from my house to the highway is 28 kilometers, there are very few houses, there are even less people around, the road is in good condition yet in places the speed limit is 30 kph as there are some corners that I guess "drivers" have had difficulties negotiating at times, should I slow to walking pace to go around these corners? to those that say yes, I can only surmise you have forgotten how to think for yourselves!

Some posters seem to think that meandering through the country in the middle of the night when the body is at its lowest ebb is a safe way to travel! laughable! If the police did their job and people drove in a correct manner and left the "fast" lane clear for faster traffic instead of selfishly hogging it traffic would flow, but this is Thailand and nothing is going to change soon, including the way I drive.

Good job its only your thoughts guess youve nevervhad a night job. Its amazing how quickly your body adapts to day being night and night day. Nobody has attacked you they have like me look atvyou posts realised you post about breaking the law and your fine with that i just pointed out that breaking the law wherever you may be driving is breaking the law so to then you try mitigate your response you say in the middle of nowhere its ok. Then on the other hand quotes like you stick to the speed limits I wont be.  Or calling people sheep for abiding by the law. Then suddenly were all wolfs !. Remember there is no such thing as a fast lane.

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2017 at 8:31 AM, CGW said:

You have what we at the Central Coast Volunteer Rescue Squad in NSW, Australia a very poor road sense attitude. Your driving school lessons and your 45 years driving have not taught you anything. I spent many nights away from my family in Australia because someone who thought that they knew how to drive suddenly found out that they did not have enough sense to slow down and they were killed because of stupid attitude. You say that you know the road from your home to the highway. What would you do if one night you are doing your speeding around a bend and there in front of you is something that has fallen of another vehicle? You are going too fast, you cannot stop, you have now lost control of your vehicle whilst trying to miss the object and now you are wrapped around a tree and you are dead. Innocent people have to come and retrieve your body and some innocent person has to go and tell your family you are dead. Attitude kills more people on the roads around the world than drivers do. My experience is being taught to drive by a driving school and 5 years driving a car then 5 years driving a heavy rigid truck, then the rest of my time driving express coaches and roadtrains in Australia plus 17 years as a member of the rescue squad. I have had 58 years driving experience 

8 hours ago, Russell17au said:

You have what we at the Central Coast Volunteer Rescue Squad in NSW, Australia a very poor road sense attitude. Your driving school lessons and your 45 years driving have not taught you anything. I spent many nights away from my family in Australia because someone who thought that they knew how to drive suddenly found out that they did not have enough sense to slow down and they were killed because of stupid attitude. You say that you know the road from your home to the highway. What would you do if one night you are doing your speeding around a bend and there in front of you is something that has fallen of another vehicle? You are going too fast, you cannot stop, you have now lost control of your vehicle whilst trying to miss the object and now you are wrapped around a tree and you are dead. Innocent people have to come and retrieve your body and some innocent person has to go and tell your family you are dead. Attitude kills more people on the roads around the world than drivers do. My experience is being taught to drive by a driving school and 5 years driving a car then 5 years driving a heavy rigid truck, then the rest of my time driving express coaches and roadtrains in Australia plus 17 years as a member of the rescue squad. I have had 58 years driving experience 

good comment.  It is especially dangerous in Thailand.  Never know when you are going to come up on a broke down truck with no lights on in the middle of the night with only a tree branch to let everyone know.  

I have had out in the middle of know where driving at night an old guy on a bicycle cross the road right in front of me, I just missed the old guy, I stopped and he was drunk off his ass could barely ride the bike. He never saw me. just crazy.

Archived