recommend netbook to run linux?

CaptHaddock

If you aren't already, suggest you haunt the ASUS Republic of Gamers Official Forum

...also, do some google searching regarding your keyboard backlight LEDs.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=asus+laptop+linux+backlit+keyboard

Read and try some of the options and see if they also work with your Linux distribution.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/644410/cannot-turn-on-keyboard-backlight

• 5 weeks later...

I installed Linux on a Pipo W9S.  It comes with Windows 10. I managed a dual boot with Linux Mint.  I can't vouch for Fedora.

I also did this on a Pipo X10.  It already had Android and Windows 10.  I briefly had a triple boot, the Android stopped booting. I'm still pleased with it as a double boot.

I then got my hands on a Cube iWork10 tablet.  Again, it came with Windows and Android.  Android crapped out after putting Mint on it.

One thing that drove me bat shit crazy:  The Cherry Trail processor does not support sound with Linux.  I went crazy and wasted weeks of my life trying to solve this.  The solution was absurdly simple:  a USB audio adaptor (USB to mini phone jacks for audio input and output.

The Cube tablet is from jingdong and a Chinese national had to purchase it for me.

Pipo can sell you their machines. They were a bit under $200, though shipping to Thailand will increase that.

• 4 weeks later...

After buying Asus machines for years, I got a number of dogs and switched to rebuilt Lenovas, the X220 in my case. I buy them from ebay at between $120 and $200 and they're really solid machines for Linux. Getting one sent to Thailand might be a chore. Dunno, that's why I had kids who travel a lot. Excellent battery life, fast response, very solid construction. At the moment I'm running Mate Ubuntu. Very stable. These machines are very well supported by the Linux community, partly because they've been around for 4 years or more and partly because Lenova makes very Linux compatible machines. (though the new ones aren't as good, I've heard).

I ended up going with an Asus Chromebook on which I removed ChromeOS and installed GalliumOS, an Ubuntu derivative that supports most Chromebook hardware.  The Asus came from Amazon.  Installation was pretty easy.  Chromebooks are slow and relatively cheap, but with good battery power, eight hours in this case.  So, it meets my limited need for a laptop.

• 2 months later...

If you shop around you will find some notebooks do come with an option to buy with pre-installed Ubuntu or Windows. 

If these notebooks come with pre-installed Ubuntu then you can bet you could install any linux distribution and not have to worry too much about the drivers. Personally, I have been using Fedora for the last 10 years and have always installed it without any problems with drivers. The only problem I have faced is adjusting the brightness for the display using the keyboard.

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 5:00 PM, karl2007 said:

If you shop around you will find some notebooks do come with an option to buy with pre-installed Ubuntu or Windows. 

I had lots of fun with a vendor at Fortune IT.  He had a Windows computer that was about 1,500 baht more than the same computer with Linux.  He kept saying "Windows free" and I failed to convey the difference between "free" and "included."

I recently installed Fedora to a flash drive and it runs.  I have yet to test drive it on desktops at work.

I like Trisquel.  I got fed up with Microsoft and removed Windows from my Pipo TV computer and run Open SUSE, Trisquel, and LXLE.

you can get old Netbooks dead cheap in the USA that schools have sold off  , I got an ASUS 1000HE for $15,

but 2B is the limit ( I think) you can use in the ONE memory slot

but you are betting on how good the battery is , this one seems OK , I am going to travel with it and consider it a throwaway/ giveaway when I head home.....

I would love to play with Fedora on it , is there a place to download a file that will work out of the box on a USB stick ?

Thanks

7 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I would love to play with Fedora on it , is there a place to download a file that will work out of the box on a USB stick ?

Thanks

https://getfedora.org/el/

I don't remember where I downloaded, but I ran it and installed to a flash drive that boots.

Xenial Puppy is occupying my time now.

19 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Creating a bootable USB stick usually requires a utility program to take whatever ISO you've downloaded and write it to the USB memory device in a format that's bootable.

Luckily, depending on your primary Operating System of choice, there are several free utilities available to create bootable ISOs on USB sticks.  One of my favorite for running on a Windows OS machine is YUMI by PenDriveLinux

Archived