Non oa long stay vs non oa retirement

3 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Now I'm about to apply for long stay or retirement visa. My original non-O expired 13/5/17, extended 60 days to 17/7/17.

THB400K has now been in the bank long enough. My wife of 10 years is Thai. I just want to stay here with the minimum of fuss and bureaucratic nonsense. Police and health checks are no problem but I'll have to get all these from Australia which may take time.

We are building up her farm near Buriram on land left her by her father and additions over the years. I've invested a lot in Thailand.

I want to leave my main capital in Australia for safety, I want to mortgage this place for investment on the strength of her chanotes.  She won't have it because land is her security.  I can't fault that but I'm bearing all the risk.

Ubonjoe is probably the man with the answer.  My wife's kids, now in their 20s have control of my house in Melbourne and would probably prefer not to have me back.

Which is the easiest option, long term, because I'm getting my feet under the table.

Despite my appreciation of the OA Long Stay, in your case the normal extension makes sense.

The wisest thing you said is ask Ubon Joe. VERY good advice!

Good luck

35 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Now I'm about to apply for long stay or retirement visa. My original non-O expired 13/5/17, extended 60 days to 17/7/17.

THB400K has now been in the bank long enough. My wife of 10 years is Thai. I just want to stay here with the minimum of fuss and bureaucratic nonsense. Police and health checks are no problem but I'll have to get all these from Australia which may take time.

We are building up her farm near Buriram on land left her by her father and additions over the years. I've invested a lot in Thailand.

I want to leave my main capital in Australia for safety, I want to mortgage this place for investment on the strength of her chanotes.  She won't have it because land is her security.  I can't fault that but I'm bearing all the risk.

Ubonjoe is probably the man with the answer.  My wife's kids, now in their 20s have control of my house in Melbourne and would probably prefer not to have me back.

Which is the easiest option, long term, because I'm getting my feet under the table.

While waiting for the master of this, I can say that you seem to wish, to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage, that is what I can read what you say..... The demands for this kind of extension is all over the place just google it, very easy......

Glegolo

Believe you think only 400k is required if married?  The same 800k is required married or not if getting a non immigrant O-A visa if just using bank account.  Only for extensions of stay for marriage inside Thailand would the 400k be an option.

16 hours ago, bangkokbanjo said:

My plan is to stay in thailand 6 to 7 months every year?

Then the O-A is perfect for you, so long as you go back to your home country at least every two years, the only downside is that your 2nd year arrival will have to be timed to get stamped back into Thailand before the visa expires.  Just takes a little planning to get 2 years out of each O-A

Have been getting O-A's from DC and now NY for 11  years without any problems and if online 90 day report is working then I can even go without any visits to Immigration during the 2 years the visa is valid

14 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

There are numerous people in the country who do work and have a work permit on a "retirement extension", it is all down to the local officers if they will allow it.

In Thailand anything is possible as each office has different rules.  

Edited by ericthai

21 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

There are numerous people in the country who do work and have a work permit on a "retirement extension", it is all down to the local officers if they will allow it.

This is just not true at all. Either the guys do not know what they are talking abot, or there are too much booze around the table,,, or they are just all liars...  The End....

Glegolo

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, glegolo said:

This is just not true at all. Either the guys do not know what they are talking abot, or there are too much booze around the table,,, or they are just all liars...  The End....

Glegolo

Oh yes it is true ! Just because you have not seen it, does not make it untrue !

Non oa long stay vs non oa retirement
If the title is correct this is not about extensions.  The O-A visa is called "Long Stay" and one of the conditions for issue is for retirement - another is for long stays even if not retired but meeting the same financial/age requirements.  It is the same visa regardless of the reason issued and the same paperwork is required (but it is listed separately on the New York Thai Consulate web site).

Exactly...so i wanted to know which is better for someone living in thailand for 6 or 7 mos a year

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

It appears you have already planned on applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration here since you mention the 400k baht in the bank which I assume has been in a Thai  bank for 2 months.

A medical and police certificates are not required to apply to the extension of stay. That is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa for retirement at a embassy.

Your wife will need to be with you when you apply for the extension. My general list of required documents is here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Ubonjoe, with your usual clarity  you answer my question. I hadn't planned anything, I am a blind man in a maze, but so long as I can stay here I don't care how. If I'd known it was 800k then I would have brought that much in. I like to keep my money in the secure hands of the ANZ bank.  Police  and health checks were my main concern because they take time and effort. Thankyou.