Pattaya Go-Go clubs and bars targeted in new crackdown

rooster59

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Disney land for adults is changing the type of admission and where and who the money goes

too.

(1)    Many small bars and go gos are foreign owned and when these stop trading thais will take over, a famous blog from years ago says thais will never allow foreigners make money here that holds through today

(   (2)    The group tour is better controlled and has more potential, the money spent in pattaya is carved up between thai   and Chinese owned businesses where they see fit

(   (3)    The occasional monger is less important his spend is more but diverse probably 50% going

d              back to esan this is not part of the General’s lobby group. 

Well it been threatened for so long it’s a brave move on the people behind it and if they follow through they don’t have the wind at their back its become a very expensive and the infrastructure is crumbling.

To make it a tourist attraction on the lines of south of france, of costa del sol or Algarve its so far behind it would require major China investment money perhaps this is the end game

To farang who holiday it will never be the same again but it had being changing for the last 6 years and for those of us who have being lucky to live here I think the welcome will become less hope am wrong.

The Disney land for adults is changing the type of admission and where and who the money goes
too.

(1)    Many small bars and go gos are foreign owned and when these stop trading thais will take over, a famous blog from years ago says thais will never allow foreigners make money here that holds through today

(   (2)    The group tour is better controlled and has more potential, the money spent in pattaya is carved up between thai   and Chinese owned businesses where they see fit

(   (3)    The occasional monger is less important his spend is more but diverse probably 50% going

Well it been threatened for so long it’s a brave move on the people behind it and if they follow through they don’t have the wind at their back its become a very expensive and the infrastructure is crumbling.

To make it a tourist attraction on the lines of south of france, of costa del sol or Algarve its so far behind it would require major China investment money perhaps this is the end game

To farang who holiday it will never be the same again but it had being changing for the last 6 years and for those of us who have being lucky to live here I think the welcome will become less hope am wrong.

Just because everything is closing at 3am? I think you're over-reacting!

6 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Old men here looking like Sean Connery??

I suppose anything's possible with enough alcohol in their system when looking in the mirror

I'd say 99% of the old gentlemen here don't look anything as good as the legendary Sean Connery. No homo.

Soi 6 was open at 3 PM the other day , one of the girls told me when I was walking by . "Yes we are open honey" , not sure if it was a real lady or LB . But they were open for customers. 

6 hours ago, balo said:

Soi 6 was open at 3 PM the other day , one of the girls told me when I was walking by . "Yes we are open honey" , not sure if it was a real lady or LB . But they were open for customers. 

Open to sit and drink? girls outside?

On 6/18/2017 at 5:16 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Thank you general….soi 6 is just grossly overpriced….used to be 700b all in for an onsite indulgence…..now the standard is 1000…..and even 1500.

hope this lowers prices back to normal levels.

Don't count on it. Prices will further increase or even double over the next couple of years.

On 6/22/2017 at 11:00 AM, retirementenquiry said:

too.

Many small bars and go gos are foreign owned and when these stop trading thais will take over, a famous blog from years ago says thais will never allow foreigners make money here that holds through today

I call BS. Thai or foreign ownership will not make a difference. The scene is changing and it has been ever since the financial crisis. European, American and australian johns on the decline ever since.

The group tour is better controlled and has more potential, the money spent in pattaya is carved up between thai   and Chinese owned businesses where they see fit

Again another BS figment of imagination. Group tours don't really contribute all that much to tourism revenue. Spending is concentrated on where the touroperators get the most kickbacks.
Group tours offer absolutely NO potential. They have a predefined schedule of place to visit which do deviate very little. For every john that needs to be replace you need 12 people from group tours to replace the lost revenue and that is because 65% of the revenue a group tour generates goes back to the tour operators. Only 35% will end up in the various locations and Thai guides and whatever Thai business that is involved. 
You know about the double pricing on various attractions around Thailand, with falang and Thai prices. There is a third category, group tour prices, which are about 50-60% of the Thai price.  The more popular attractions are able to stick with the thai price for group tours but all the rest really bend over backwards and offer larger discounts.

The occasional monger is less important his spend is more but diverse probably 50% going

back to esan this is not part of the General’s lobby group. 

And the BS keeps coming....people working in the tourist industry are usually not locally sourced. It is a major employer but people all over Thailand will come to any tourist destination in search of employment. Money will always flow back to support their families. But sending back 50% on 20K or sending back 25% on 10K which would be better.
And yes, spending needs to be diverse, you want maximum employment and not maximum spending on the few accommodations.

Pattaya has never really been a great destination for a holiday. All the different facilities make it diverse and everything is pretty concentrated in an area. 
Only budget travellers would put up with the condition of the footpaths and streets, the smell, floodings, sewage in the sea and on the beach, scam artists everywhere you go.

It doesn't need to remain the same, although I liked pattaya far better 10 years ago without all the shopping malls. And I wasn't a monger back then either, I like to go drink in the beer bars with my girlfriend and have a chat with the girls and play some games. If they reduce the number of agogo's and beer bars to the numbers from 2006 that would already be a big improvement. 

17 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Open to sit and drink? girls outside?

Yes.  I normally exercise on beach road at that time of the day and then walk up the soi to 2nd road.  

I could see customers inside two of the bars with working girls , the rest of them were closed. 

2 hours ago, nasanews said:

6:00 pm is go-go bars open time.

3:00 am is closing time.

100% news if I am not right about it I would change my nick name.

Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

7pm the girls start arriving at the gogo bars
8pm the gogo bars open (some a little bit earlier)

3am closing time (was 4am before, thaksin wanted them closed at 2am)

Now please change nickname.

6:00 pm is go-go bars open time.
3:00 am is closing time.
100% news if I am not right about it I would change my nick name.
Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Yes. Hardly the end of Pattaya as we know it! Although it has resulted in Walking Street being a scrum at 3am, as the discos are closing then too.

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes. Hardly the end of Pattaya as we know it! Although it has resulted in Walking Street being a scrum at 3am, as the discos are closing then too.

Yes, it's not so much bar closing times, (3am going on 4 has been the case for ages). It's more the late bar and disco closing times - their late hours always kept the street alive and busy with food vendors etc all night. Having said that, this is just the latest of many previous similar crackdowns, and like the one in bkk it probably won't last more than a week or two. 

Plus, the reality is the majority of Thais, although they often don't speak publicly, are embarrassed by this activity and would like to see these places closed forever.

I wouldn't agree with that as the Thai men use short time Thai bars on their way home from work!! I have seen it it Kon Khaen and places!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, Othello said:

I wouldn't agree with that as the Thai men use short time Thai bars on their way home from work!! I have seen it it Kon Khaen and places!

That may be so, but at least they're discrete about it and don't post selfies for the entire world to laugh at.

In every place I've ever lived, there are rules I agree with and others I think are stupid.  Not that my opinion counts for anything.

But the one universal is that looking the other way so that some subset of the population can make money by flouting the rules is always a slippery slope.   Because then they have to break other rules to get the cops (and land officials, etc) to look the other way.  And the cops and government officials are breaking other rules to divvy up the money.  And on.  And on.

And the spiral continues, until the entire society is corrupt and broken.  Sound familiar?

If the rules don't work, change them.  Close early, stay open all night, I don't care (as long as you're not violating the residents' right to enjoy their investment in their homes).  But please enforce the rules, or your people live in a Banana Republic.  

13 hours ago, Othello said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly!  There are more Thai places than for foreigner places.  

The Thai places are all over Thailand. One of my Thai partners anytime we go anywhere in Thailand he always finds where the places are.   

On 6/22/2017 at 5:00 AM, retirementenquiry said:

too.

They said this when Taksin got strict on things.  Like everything else in Thailand, there is a shake up for a little time and then back to normal.  

Also saying Thais will never allow a foreigner to make money  in Thailand is ridiculous.  I have several expat friends that have successful business in Thailand.  My partners and I built our company up and then sold it to another foreign company for a very nice return. When we started our company we got nothing but help from the Thai government. 

Exactly!  There are more Thai places than for foreigner places.  
The Thai places are all over Thailand. One of my Thai partners anytime we go anywhere in Thailand he always finds where the places are.   

That's very true, but this is about cracking down on Pattaya bars and clubs that don't comply with their licence, specifically on Walking Street. There are not many Thai places there.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, ChrisY1 said:

So in the end....30K--50K girls lose work.....not too many girls, definitely not too many men.....but the families will love it!

Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia get ready!

Why be concerned ? It will never happen , not whilst the bib own half the bars and hookers.

By not allowing any new bars, the existing bars will increase their comparative business.  Methinks this wrong-headed policy is to cater to existing bar owners, most of whom are police brass or Thai-Chinese VIP's.

If it's any consolation (to Pattaya fans), in the early 2000's, Thaksin and his pal Purachai closed down red light businesses in many small Thai cities/towns.  It was possible, because the bosses weren't as well-connected as the red-light bosses in Pattaya, Phuket, and Bkk.  

No surprise, tourist #'s dropped after that happened - tho that was also attributable to Yellow/Red political trouble and the two coup d'etats that have happened since 2002. btw; both Thaksin and Purachai moved away from Thailand - after they shut down the fun places in the small towns up-country.

3 hours ago, freethinker said:

Do they know just how much money these "low-life loser scum sex tourists" spend? Many burn trough 10k baht a day and stay at pretty nice hotels. 

As a self confessed low-life loser scum ex sex tourist my daily spend was more like an average of 20k and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I can honestly say I had a fantastic time :smile:

On 2017-06-18 at 5:08 AM, keith101 said:

they will lose so many tourists the place will be like a ghost town and all the locals who rely on them for some kind of income may turn to crime which inturn will further decrease the number of tourists .

Please with a 1% unemployment rate in the country, there are many jobs to choose. I for one won't be sad if they totally close down all the seedy bars in Thailand, and force the women to do respectable jobs like everybody else. If tourism is balanced on these type of establishments, then perhaps Thailand can be excused for not wanting these type of 'sex' tourists.

I can certainly confirm that Go Go bars seems to have no problems letting a 17 year old into clubs last night 6 in total. We were asked how old he was couple times but saying 20 promptly made the issue disappear simple as that.

I was a little surprised these were walking st not lk metro I might add

Very nice....but show me one smart and wise speaker here who will manage to convince a hot looking girlie to quit a job where she makes perhaps 50'000 or 100'000 THB per month, (if not even more)  with the perks that call for fun, booze, meals, trips and perhaps good sex here and there - to drop it all and to take up a "decent" job at 7/11 for say 10'000 THB a month? Doubt it...

Very nice....but show me one smart and wise speaker here who will manage to convince a hot looking girlie to quit a job where she makes perhaps 50'000 or 100'000 THB per month, (if not even more)  with the perks that call for fun, booze, meals, trips and perhaps good sex here and there - to drop it all and to take up a "decent" job at 7/11 for say 10'000 THB a month? Doubt it...

I doubt it too. Bar/gogo work pays very well and after years some girls can effectively retire to the house they've built in their village. Good for them!

Archived