Pattaya Go-Go clubs and bars targeted in new crackdown

rooster59

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Thank you general….soi 6 is just grossly overpriced….used to be 700b all in for an onsite indulgence…..now the standard is 1000…..and even 1500.

hope this lowers prices back to normal levels.

I think it's more likely to increase the price 

To say that this will ruin Pattaya is an over exaggeration.

All the older Americans will remember that Vegas  used to be called sin city.

It had the moniker of an adult only location that had drinking, gambling and prostitution.  Pattaya does not have the legal gambling but it has everything else.

Toronto had the Yonge street strip with it's hookers and strip clubs that caused many people to stay away.  They cleaned it up and big businesses came and it is a big tourist location and generates more money

The challenge is that while a few bars might get a lot of money it is more favourable to have a family oriented location.

There is nothing wrong with having walking street and maybe a few little streets off the side.  

What is a problem is that because of the reputation that families that have more money to spend and have kids that generate more income will stay away.

They can still have the sex and such all they are trying to do is make it more central and less obvious and less distracting.  

A bar is a drinking establishment that too many farang go to get plastered and make nuisance.  The law is already set all they are doing is enforcing it.

The great plan to fail!   Will go the way of Subic and Angeles City, shut down ghost town, then start all over albeit, with no real investment. Just the next wave of bar owners trying to scratch a living with 99 out of 100 failing within a year or less.  

There is far too much coastline away from the septic mess that is Pattaya to economically convert this one contaminated stretch to Central Festival Land!

So, smart plan, delete this money making machine and then move on to the next.  More shopping centers, more McThai, more pseudo-Japanese food sellers.

What historically made this place a tourist destination can be reduced to another shopping center full of imported stuff over-priced, due to heavy handed import duty, and those tourist numbers will see little point in stopping here for what it will become. 

Sad to see the bull in the China shop in the works!

I think it's a good thing but as others have said, this crackdown will likely go the same way as others have in the past

I think the authorities see a little economic hardship as a small price to pay for ridding themselves of the scourge of cheap-ass, sex-starved deviants from abroad cruising their streets for sexual services and attracting ridicule from around the world.

The girls can get jobs elsewhere or simply sell their wares online through FB, LINE or whatever.

A lot of girls already do this and that's one reason why there are so many complaints about the standard of women heading downhill in these establishments. The hot girls already know the score - why dance all night for losers or risk being videoed  when you can put up a profile on social media or a messaging app and get the guy you actually fancy who's actually willing to pay you what you want???

Low visibility, high conversion ratios and profits

Easiest way to kill it all off, set up checkpoints on Walking Street and other streets with CCTV cameras trained on the entrance. Make sure that everyone entering removes glasses and hats 

....then

make the footage available online.

Most sex tourists don't want it known that they come here to pay for sex with prostitutes.

They hate being videoed in the bars in case their wives or families back home find out about it.

16 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I think it's a good thing but as others have said, this crackdown will likely go the same way as others have in the past

I think the authorities see a little economic hardship as a small price to pay for ridding themselves of the scourge of cheap-ass, sex-starved deviants from abroad cruising their streets for sexual services and attracting ridicule from around the world.

The girls can get jobs elsewhere or simply sell their wares online through FB, LINE or whatever.

A lot of girls already do this and that's one reason why there are so many complaints about the standard of women heading downhill in these establishments. The hot girls already know the score - why dance all night for losers or risk being videoed  when you can put up a profile on social media or a messaging app and get the guy you actually fancy who's actually willing to pay you what you want???

Low visibility, high conversion ratios and profits

And much more chance to get or give something you really don't want to get or give.

28 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It had the moniker of an adult only location that had drinking, gambling and prostitution.  Pattaya does not have the legal gambling but it has everything else.

Toronto had the Yonge street strip with it's hookers and strip clubs that caused many people to stay away.  They cleaned it up and big businesses came and it is a big tourist location and generates more money

The challenge is that while a few bars might get a lot of money it is more favourable to have a family oriented location.

There is nothing wrong with having walking street and maybe a few little streets off the side.  

What is a problem is that because of the reputation that families that have more money to spend and have kids that generate more income will stay away.

They can still have the sex and such all they are trying to do is make it more central and less obvious and less distracting.  

A bar is a drinking establishment that too many farang go to get plastered and make nuisance.  The law is already set all they are doing is enforcing it.

The Las Vegas thing was quite a while ago, as in like  in 1951:

http://www.worldnextdoor.org/magazine/february-2014/history-of-legalized-prostitution/

"One of the biggest fallacies that exists today is that prostitution is legal in the big cities of Las Vegas and Reno. I learned that in 1951, Reno and Las Vegas voted to close their red light districts and used the public nuisance laws to do so. Now, as the law states, prostitution is only legal in Nevada counties that have a population less than 400,000. In fact, prostitution is illegal anywhere outside the licensed brothels, including “street walking”. Women and customers can be fined up to $1000 and sentenced to 6 months in jail for a first time offense."

4 minutes ago, hansnl said:

And much more chance to get or give something you really don't want to get or give.

Excuse me?? What are you talking about?

Is it your contention that you're more likely to get or pass on an STI if you don't get your service provider from a gogo bar?

Falls off chair laughing

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“It is already hard to make money from the bar [with so much competition] but if I can not open during the day I don’t know how I can stay [open]”, the bar owner added.

Well why not change your approach!? Drop the shag price, drop the bar fine, drop the beer price and the farangs will simply flood in.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

They will just drive more prostitution on to the streets - making it unsafe for the customers and the prostitutes. Should just make it legal. 

I have to agree with that. Soi 6 has been infamous (at least for the last 30 years I have known it) for being the 'afternoon place to go' for a certain percentage of Pattaya's visitors.

Closing the bars down during the day isn't going to do anything except promote the darker side more to the family orientated visitors. If you think freelance is bad now, continue doing this and you will add more meat to the market, real in your face prostitution for the more moral tourists to observe.

If this continues, be assured that the prices will escalate as well, the owners of these places have to make the rent otherwise they will close down.

I was never a Soi 6 (or Soi Yotsak) regular, but I do feel a certain pity for the owners in this instance.

2 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I have to agree with that. Soi 6 has been infamous (at least for the last 30 years I have known it) for being the 'afternoon place to go' for a certain percentage of Pattaya's visitors.

Closing the bars down during the day isn't going to do anything except promote the darker side more to the family orientated visitors. If you think freelance is bad now, continue doing this and you will add more meat to the market, real in your face prostitution for the more moral tourists to observe.

If this continues, be assured that the prices will escalate as well, the owners of these places have to make the rent otherwise they will close down.

I was never a Soi 6 (or Soi Yotsak) regular, but I do feel a certain pity for the owners in this instance.

I don't.

They're enriching themselves on back of human misery.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

So in the end....30K--50K girls lose work.....not too many girls, definitely not too many men.....but the families will love it!

Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia get ready!

Why will the families love it?

Their kids are the bread winners in the household. Lose their income & they're bac on the poverty line again.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Less friendly for sex tourists, but more friendly for families and respectable people.

I don't like to be negative. This forum has plenty of that;

BUT "respectable people" ? Are you passing judgment on others you don't even know? What makes these NEW people respectable? What in your opinion of is "respectable People"?

The new flock of tourists I have seen in the last few years have been less than respectable. They now have signs in the airport explaining to these New People, in there native language, not urinating on temple walls or pooping in the street. I not sure I would consider that respectable.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Vegas is still called sin city. 

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

I don't.

They're enriching themselves on back of human misery.

As is every other establishment in Pattaya targeting the sex trade. But that is not the point of discussion here, that would certainly be for another thread.

My viewpoint is that if the authorities carry out their new policies it will backfire from their objective of hiding the 'dark side' to actually promoting it.

Pattaya is a tourist town. 

There are HUNDREDS of large and expensive hotels that cater to families and others, not just sexpats. Sexpats make up for a small percentage. PAttaya functions quite well without these seedy bars, and good riddance to em, I say.

In fact, the more cleaning up they do to the area, the better, as then it can become a much better resort and perhaps they'll eventually get around to cleaning up the beachfront.

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well why not change your approach!? Drop the shag price, drop the bar fine, drop the beer price and the farangs will simply flood in.

They won't do that. They do the opposite and raise prices which makes no sense at all.

2 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

Geez ........ I hope the daytime gentlemens clubs don't get targeted ,they too offer all the same services.  How can they expect the tourist dollar will increase??? Alls that will happen is these bars will go broke by not being able to meet their rents and leases ,what will they be replaced with ????? takeaway food ? t shirts shops? computer shops ? Bit discrimatory to target only soi 6 , least the place was sectionzed to that activity .  So what soi 7 next then the boys town gay area. Gotta luv these numbwits for upstairs for thinking . Theres huge aeroplane hanger style sheds behind big C in Naclua which conduct live on stage sex shows to the japanese and chinese tourists  who arrive in busloads....every night !!!!!! 2000b a viewing one would think that sort of thing would be more damaging to Thailands image than people having few drinks following a rubdown or some thai girl girating her hips on stage. If  anything the place is becoming more unwelcoming by the day ,.as if I woud let my kids play in the run down playgrounds that have much broken equipment and glass in the grass, swim in the highly polluted sea which the mayor openly acknowledges has more than 24000 cubic meters of effluent and waste pumped into it each month !!!! and lets go drive on the absolute lawless roads ?????lets better not even go there!!

they had a pretty good go at the gentlemans clubs last year. almost all of them got raided and it was the end of the winchester. think rioja packed it in as well. passion had double stage security on the entry door in case of a raid. gentlemans clubs are generally under the radar so it will be interesting to see what is open when i get back in a few months.

I don't get why they call this place a resort.

What is resort about it? A filthy beach, hazardous footpaths, corruption everywhere you look.

You would have more chance of disease from swimming in the water than shagging girls in Soi 6 bareback.

If they need to clean up areas for family tourism why not start with Phuket? 

I'd leave Pattaya the way it is. It really only has one purpose. The playpen of Thailand.

Archived