BANGKOK 18 March 2019 20:50
strikingsunset

Number of Visa exempt entries ( by air) per year ?

A friend was recently told at BKK airport immigration that the a maximum of 6  ' visa exempt ' entries are allowed in 1 year.

I looked around online and could not find anywhere a limit of entries, by air,being  applied.

Can anybody 'shed any light' on this please

There is no written limit on on the number of entries or the time spent in the country for visa exempt entries done by air.

The officer on entry will get an alert at a total of 6 entries to inform them they should check to see what type of entry they are. They would normally be checking to see if they are out/in trips just to get a new entry.

The general consensus is that staying in Thailand more than 180 days is deemed as taking residence rather than Tourism.

There are suitable Visas and Extensions of stay available for those who qualify and wish to stay beyond 180 days.

completely up to the immigration officer. He/she looks at ur passport an decides.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Whoose?

Some posters on this forum perhaps.

Immigration officials.

Under Thai law;

As a Tourist with less than 180 days stay In Thailand within 1 year, I am allowed to reclaim VAT.

Over 180 days I am not. Why is that?

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Immigration officials.

Under Thai law;

As a Tourist with less than 180 days stay In Thailand within 1 year, I am allowed to reclaim VAT.

Over 180 days I am not. Why is that?

Show me an immigration rule or order that states that.

Under tax law yes since you are considered a resident for tax purposes if you stay in the country more than a total of 180 days in a year. That has nothing to with immigration rules.

• Like 1

Hi, OP here.

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

I note, this ( rolling) year I will be in Thailand 4 times, with a gap of circa 2 months each time and on average 3 weeks in Thailand each time.

So hopefully I will be  ' below the radar'

Cheers... 

• Like 1

Potentially if you got 6 visa exempt entries and extended each for 30 days the total would reach just shy of one full year.

I realize many people are in and out for less than 30 days and/or may not extend their permission to stay, but for someone who is just trying to stay more or less continuously, 6 visa exempts would pretty well cover one full year ... of course doing that would, I assume, draw the attention of immigrations.

I recently encountered the same problem regarding visa exempt via air. Every two or three months I travel in and out of Thailand via air because of my job. I was advised that you were only allowed 3 visa exempts during a six month duration. This was also stated on the London embassy website   http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section1.I quote  " Passport holders of the countries listed for visa exemption are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints, which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption category may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6 month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."

However, on http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php    It states the following " Holders of normal passports of the following countries are granted visa-free travel to Thailand for a period of up to 30 days. The exemption is granted at most twice in a calendar year when entering over land or via a sea border but there is no limitation when entering by air. For Malaysians entering by land border, there is no limitation in issuing the 30-day visa exemption stamp. Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 days in both airport and land border.

So, it depends on interpretation of the rules. To save hassle I obtained a single entry TR. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks, as usual, to ubonjoe.  To those out there who get confused by the myriad of rules and regulations relating to immigration, he is one you really should take notice of.  He is definitely on the ball and always a source of accurate information. Cheers.

• Like 1

OP again, thanks also to Ubon Joe.

So, when trying to peer through all the' smoke and mirrors 'it would seem there could be some kind of( at random) policy that one is allowed 3 visa exempt entries ( arriving by air) in a 6 month period.

There is no official/published maximum number of visa exempt entries by air per year. 

After six visa exempt entries by air - total, over your lifetime - you are 'red flagged' by the computer system. Thai Immigration officers (may) use this 'convenient' fact (and their discretion) to extort money from the unknowing by at first denying entry to those on their seventh entry. Then, they will "do you a favour" and allow entry when they are satisfied you are really a tourist i.e. have resort/hotel booking(s), enough money and a return/onward journey ticket... and the required amount of baht is proffered. You will not receive a receipt.

In Thailand the criminals wear uniforms.

9 hours ago, cruisemonkey said:

There is no official/published maximum number of visa exempt entries by air per year. 

After six visa exempt entries by air - total, over your lifetime - you are 'red flagged' by the computer system. Thai Immigration officers (may) use this 'convenient' fact (and their discretion) to extort money from the unknowing by at first denying entry to those on their seventh entry. Then, they will "do you a favour" and allow entry when they are satisfied you are really a tourist i.e. have resort/hotel booking(s), enough money and a return/onward journey ticket... and the required amount of baht is proffered. You will not receive a receipt.

In Thailand the criminals wear uniforms.

My experience is contrary to this.  I have entered by air more times than I can remember over past 13 years and never been asked more than "where you stay?" 

YMMV