Number of Visa exempt entries ( by air) per year ?

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

No, but it's a fact, Thailand doesn't offer any long term solutions for under 50's, unless your married to a Thai, or are financially secure, in which case you can afford the Elite Visa.

A suitable visa for under-50s would be requiring them to show the same income or savings as a retiree is required to show - maybe throwing in an income-tax requirement.  Younger folks are, after all, less likely to wind up in a hospital with an unpayable bill - which is about the only way a foreigner can burden Thais with their presence here. 

One can be quite sufficiently financially-secure enough to afford living well in Thailand, but not have the capital to spend on an Elite Visa.  One could even blow their nest-egg on the visa, and have 5 years to live here begging on the streets when some plan for future income didn't work out.  Much better for Thailand to require showing money in the bank, rather than a lump sum - but that method would not line pockets.  

If 500K+ Baht disposable capital were required as proof of financial-security, they could have replaced the retirement visa system with it.  But those who make the rules know that most retirees would have moved elsewhere - either because they could not afford it, or would refused on principle to spend that sum on a temporary visa - essentially, permission to spend their foreign-sourced income into a country's economy. 

For those who can afford it (and/or yachts and Italian sports cars), it works - so not begrudging anyone who uses it.  But to equate it in any way with financial-security relative to the cost of living in Thailand is not accurate.   Of course, for any financial-screening in visa-requirements to have any actual meaning, the "pay an agent to skip the qualifications" system would need to be dismantled. 

• 2 weeks later...

Helllo,

I am 26 years old from Australia. I have been coming to Thailand for 6 years now, at first, it was on and off every 6 months but now I am staying longer each time.

I have taken a year off and have been using Thailand as my base to travel around SE asia. since October 2016. Since then I have had 2 SETV and the rest have been visa exempt entries. Every time I have gone to another country for 5-10 days and then came back. The last 2 times I have just flown out and back in the next day.. Just last night at Phuket airport I was questioned by the IO. I went to Singapore for 1 night and came back..

He said I left Thailand today and came back on the same day. But he got the dates wrong. After that, he asked how long I am staying in Thailand this time. I said 2 weeks. After that, he sat there for about 2-3 minutes saying nothing(there was a big line behind me). I felt as if he was about to deny me entry or take me somewhere for questioning. But after a few minutes, he stamped and let me through. This is the first time I have ever been asked anything and I think if I went to a different IO they may have said nothing.

Anyway, I am going back to Aus on the 13th of December, So I am flying to Burma at the end of this month, staying for 6 days and then coming back and getting a visa-exempt for the last time before going back to AUS.

I am a little concerned as I will be arriving in Bangkok (don meuang) after Burma, and after last nights questions, I am wondering what they will say next time. 

Does anyone have any advice or experience with what my options are? I am going to make sure I have 10k baht and proof of my flight back to Aus at the end of the year.

Edited by Mickster58

How many visa exempt entries do you have in total? Once you have 6+ since 2015, you will be subject to greater scrutiny on entry to verify that you are a genuine tourist. If you are going to Myanmar, I would suggest you get an SETV there. This is easily arranged, actually cheaper as your entry will not need to be extended, and will lessen the chances of interrogation on entry back into Thailand. If you nevertheless decide to reenter again visa exempt, the odds are in your favor, but there is a good chance of extended questioning.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

How many visa exempt entries do you have in total? Once you have 6+ since 2015, you will be subject to greater scrutiny on entry to verify that you are a genuine tourist. If you are going to Myanmar, I would suggest you get an SETV there. This is easily arranged, actually cheaper as your entry will not need to be extended, and will lessen the chances of interrogation on entry back into Thailand. If you nevertheless decide to reenter again visa exempt, the odds are in your favor, but there is a good chance of extended questioning.

Thanks for the reply :),

I have a few visa exempt stamps, since 2012... the first few years there is only 3-4, but since 2015 there has been at least 10+

I am thinking of getting a SETV to make everything work out, although having 20kbaht in cash when I come back from Burma will not be so easy(for me). As I hear they are denying entry to those who cannot provide proof of funds. My flight back to Aus is also 45 days out, not 30 days, I don't know if that matters because I can just pay immigration to extend.

Anyway, I guess if I don't have the 20k proof I will have to take my chances on another visa exempt and hope for the best!

Edited by Mickster58

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

Thanks for the reply :),

I have a few visa exempt stamps, since 2012... the first few years there is only 3-4, but since 2015 there has been at least 10+

I am thinking of getting a SETV to make everything work out, although having 20kbaht in cash when I come back from Burma will not be so easy(for me). As I hear they are denying entry to those who cannot provide proof of funds. My flight back to Aus is also 45 days out, not 30 days, I don't know if that matters because I can just pay immigration to extend.

Anyway, I guess if I don't have the 20k proof I will have to take my chances on another visa exempt and hope for the best!

You don't have 20k THB but plan to stay in Thailand for 45 days? What's your plan? Living on the street and eating mama?

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You don't have 20k THB but plan to stay in Thailand for 45 days? What's your plan? Living on the street and eating mama?

haha not quite, I don't like the idea of carrying around 20k while I am in Myanmar for a week, but I guess I will have to. Also FYI I stay for free with my Mrs who runs a guesthouse, so 20k baht is more than enough for 45 days for me :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

haha not quite, I don't like the idea of carrying around 20k while I am in Myanmar for a week, but I guess I will have to. Also FYI I stay for free with my Mrs who runs a guesthouse, so 20k baht is more than enough for 45 days for me :)

Another option would be to get money from an Atm in Myanmar before you departure and exchange it at the airport in Myanmar to THB (If they have exchange booths there, never been there) You will of course lose a few percent this way.

If your concern is safety, you can use travelers' checks (in any major currency) to satisfy immigration. If you are entering with an actual visa, it is actually unlikely you will be asked to show it.

• Like 2

Are you legally married to a Thai?

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Are you legally married to a Thai?

I am not no, or I would get a marriage visa. But I dont plan on marriying this one :P.

At this stage I will opt to get a SETV in Myanmar, it will save me a trip to extend my visa exempt. Hopefully, it all works out. Had never been questioned ever by any IO, so I think they must be getting the warning or whatever it is showing up on the computer. Also, I think this particular IO only asked questions because he thought I flew out and came back on the same day (which I assume is not allowed) after I corrected him with the dates he said nothing for 2 minutes, then said how long you stay this time. So if he didn't get the dates wrong maybe he would never have asked, who knows. I try to look out for the less serious IO's but didn't work this time :( 

2 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I am not no, or I would get a marriage visa. But I dont plan on marriying this one :P.

At this stage I will opt to get a SETV in Myanmar, it will save me a trip to extend my visa exempt. Hopefully, it all works out. Had never been questioned ever by any IO, so I think they must be getting the warning or whatever it is showing up on the computer. Also, I think this particular IO only asked questions because he thought I flew out and came back on the same day (which I assume is not allowed) after I corrected him with the dates he said nothing for 2 minutes, then said how long you stay this time. So if he didn't get the dates wrong maybe he would never have asked, who knows. I try to look out for the less serious IO's but didn't work this time :( 

Always safer with a Tourist Visa.

If you want to travel on a TV you can always purchase a re-entry permit.

Visa exempt by border are now restricted to two entries per calendar year.

By air the computer flags up after 6 entries, which is when they start to ask questions.

3 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I am just looking now, there are 2 Thailand public holidays on the exact dates that I wanted to get a TV in Yangon, the 23rd and 25th of october. Does anyone know if this means the embassy in Yangon will be closed on those dates also?

Closed on 23rd, open on 25th.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/organize/18983-Working-Hours-and-Holidays.html

8 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Thanks for that, I have seen Thai has a public holiday on the 25th. I hope it does not conflict or there goes my option to get a TV. I will send them an email.

The 26th of October is a official holiday for the cremation of the late King. It may not be shown on the embassy calendar since it was only approved in April of this year.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 26th of October is a official holiday for the cremation of the late King. It may not be shown on the embassy calendar since it was only approved in April of this year.

Indeed, after looking at numerous embassy sites. Only the Honk Kong website has the 26th as closed. Laos, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Yangon, Cambodia do NOT say they are closed on the 26th.

So HK is special or the other embassies have not yet updated their list.

2 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Indeed, after looking at numerous embassy sites. Only the Honk Kong website has the 26th as closed. Laos, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Yangon, Cambodia do NOT say they are closed on the 26th.

So HK is special or the other embassies have not yet updated their list.

I will guarantee that ALL Thai embassies will be closed on the 26th October 2017, regardless of where they are located.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

According to the wife the Thai government have announced an official 5 day holiday starting 26th.

All government offices, banks and possibly Thai Embassies/Consulates will be closed for that duration.

The 'rumour' in my office here in BKK is that it is highly likely that Wednesday 25th and Friday 27th will be announced as holidays, seeing as Monday 23rd already is a holiday, then it is unlikely many folks will go to work on the Tuesday if this does actually become reality. 

Edited by Mattd

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The 'rumour' in my office here in BKK is that it is highly likely that Wednesday 25th and Friday 27th will be announced as holidays, seeing as Monday 23rd already is a holiday, then it is unlikely many folks will go to work on the Tuesday if this does actually become reality. 

I see, so they just announce public holidays less than a month out? oohhh I hope not lol :(

4 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I see, so they just announce public holidays less than a month out? oohhh I hope not lol :(

Bank personnel have already been advised they will be closed on 23rd, then 26th for 5 days, reopening 31st.

Is there a reason you cannot go the week before?

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Bank personnel have already been advised they will be closed on 23rd, then 26th for 5 days, reopening 31st.

Is there a reason you cannot go the week before?

I am looking at the options to go earlier now, it is just going to cost about 5k baht+ to change flights or even book new ones. 

It would still probably be safer to just change the flights and go earlier aye? Id rather spend money and have the safety of being allowed back into to Thailand. But not very ideal :(

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not sure what bank that is but it sounds like a local policy. The only bank holidays are the 23rd and 26th.

See: https://www.bot.or.th/Thai/FinancialInstitutions/FIholiday/Pages/2017.aspx

7 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I am looking at the options to go earlier now, it is just going to cost about 5k baht+ to change flights or even book new ones. 

It would still probably be safer to just change the flights and go earlier aye? Id rather spend money and have the safety of being allowed back into to Thailand. But not very ideal :(

Don't forget 13th October is a holiday as well, so, the week 16th - 20th is your best bet.