Number of Visa exempt entries ( by air) per year ?

Atisit said Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam had proposed three options on how to facilitate people’s desire to join the royal cremation ceremonies. 

The first is to declare October 25 and October 27 as national holidays too, so that people from the provinces can travel to Bangkok for the ceremonies and then travel back in time to work again. 

The second is for October 25 and October 27 to be holidays for people living outside Bangkok and its adjacent provinces.

The third is to not declare any additional holiday and let people decide themselves how they can attend. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313353

The SIL who works for Krungthai bank states the Govt have since announced a 5 day national holiday and some staff want to travel to BKK to watch the ceremonies. The bank haven't announced anything officially yet.

It appears even Thais are confused on official and unofficial holidays as yet.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It appears even Thais are confused on official and unofficial holidays as yet.

In April after all the discussion only the 26th was made a holiday by a cabinet resolution.

Krungthai is government owned bank so perhaps they think they can do what they want to without approval from the BOT.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In April after all the discussion only the 26th was made a holiday by a cabinet resolution.

Krungthai is government owned bank so perhaps they think they can do what they want to without approval from the BOT.

So basing everything on this, it will most likely stay this way. Or they can randomly announce a public holiday whenever they please?.

39 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

So basing everything on this, it will most likely stay this way. Or they can randomly announce a public holiday whenever they please?.

It will stay that way. It requires cabinet approval for adding additional holidays and they decided months ago it would only be on the 26th.

There is very good chance the embassy in Yangon will be open on the 26th. Each embassy makes its own decisions for scheduled holidays. You will find that not all Thai holidays are observed to balance them with local holidays.

I suggest you contact the embassy to confirm whether they will be open or not.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will stay that way. It requires cabinet approval for adding additional holidays and they decided months ago it would only be on the 26th.

There is very good chance the embassy in Yangon will be open on the 26th. Each embassy makes its own decisions for scheduled holidays. You will find that not all Thai holidays are observed to balance them with local holidays.

I suggest you contact the embassy to confirm whether they will be open or not.

I have emailed the embassy this morning, no reply yet but will call them next week if need be. Thanks for your help today (everyone involved) it looks like ill grab a SETV have 20k in cash/travel cheque for when I re-enter and enjoy my last few months in Thai. Thanks again.

• 11 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 1:32 AM, BritTim said:

As you have 6+ visa exempt entries since 2015, the immigration official will receive an alert that your entry should receive extra scrutiny to ensure you are a genuine tourist. 

This rule about VEE since 2015 is still OK? I mean, is it applied officially in all the airports or it depends on the IO? If someone has less than 6 VEE since 2015 could also be questioned?

Edited by gaakb

16 minutes ago, gaakb said:

This rule about VEE since 2015 is still OK? I mean, is it applied officially in all the airports or it depends on the IO? If someone has less than 6 VEE since 2015 could also be questioned?

As most things in Thailand everything is flexible and depends on unknown factors... and of course you can always be questioned for whatever

8 minutes ago, gaakb said:

The official will always receive the alert. Each official will react to the alert in their own way. At most land borders, they will simplify matters by using the newer two-per-calendar-year rule and not bother with the "increased scrutiny". At airports, some officials will just decide by looking at you that you seem like a tourist. Other officials will apply their own level of seriousness to the scrutiny process, with some (who feel no one should be a tourist for too long) actively looking to deny your entry.

If someone has less than six visa exempt entries since 2015, but is now trying to enter visa exempt, the other main factor that can cause trouble is extended unbroken periods in Thailand in the last few years (especially the last 12 months). If you have spent less than 90 days over the last year in Thailand, I would say you are safe (but that is just a guess). If you have spent more than 180 days in Thailand over the last 12 months (based on reports) that can also trigger increased scrutiny, and I would then definitely not enter visa exempt via airports.

Other potential factors are prior overstays, your nationality (wealthy nations better), color of skin (white is better), age (over retirement age makes you less likely to be hassled), and grooming (Thais, like most Asians, react badly to unwashed, poorly dressed individuals).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The official will always receive the alert. Each official will react to the alert in their own way. At most land borders, they will simplify matters by using the newer two-per-calendar-year rule and not bother with the "increased scrutiny". At airports, some officials will just decide by looking at you that you seem like a tourist. Other officials will apply their own level of seriousness to the scrutiny process, with some (who feel no one should be a tourist for too long) actively looking to deny your entry.

If someone has less than six visa exempt entries since 2015, but is now trying to enter visa exempt, the other main factor that can cause trouble is extended unbroken periods in Thailand in the last few years (especially the last 12 months). If you have spent less than 90 days over the last year in Thailand, I would say you are safe (but that is just a guess). If you have spent more than 180 days in Thailand over the last 12 months (based on reports) that can also trigger increased scrutiny, and I would then definitely not enter visa exempt via airports.

Other potential factors are prior overstays, your nationality (wealthy nations better), color of skin (white is better), age (over retirement age makes you less likely to be hassled), and grooming (Thais, like most Asians, react badly to unwashed, poorly dressed individuals).

Ok, thank you for the information. I refer to that because it is so confusing to distinguish rules in Thailand. In my situation I have been in 2015- mid 2017 with a non B and extensions of stay for working. For this reason I want to know if this system of 6 VEE alerts from 2015 is real because I am planning to come back as a tourist with small visits to see friends there (10 days).

One last question is, when you speak about 90 days over the last year in Thailand, you mean under TV or VEE, right?

1 hour ago, gaakb said:

One last question is, when you speak about 90 days over the last year in Thailand, you mean under TV or VEE, right?

Yes. I do not think your time working in Thailand will be a factor, unless the official suspects you of still being employed in Thailand and working illegally. If you are now employed overseas, it might be worth bringing documentation that shows this, just in case. Also, as always when entering visa exempt, it is prudent to carry 20,000 baht equivalent in cash to show immigration if requested.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ganegon said:

If someone is living during VEE in a friend's home. Should we prepare a letter from our Thai host to show if required?

There are some contrary views on this, but I consider it unnecessary. Of course, having it could not hurt.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Yes. I do not think your time working in Thailand will be a factor, unless the official suspects you of still being employed in Thailand and working illegally. If you are now employed overseas, it might be worth bringing documentation that shows this, just in case. Also, as always when entering visa exempt, it is prudent to carry 20,000 baht equivalent in cash to show immigration if requested.

Ok, thank you for the help. I left the country on July 2017 and we are now in August 2018. Previously august 2018, I haven’t entered country, so highly impossible for them to think I am working... although who knows.... ? we will see

20 hours ago, gaakb said:

Ok, thank you for the help. I left the country on July 2017 and we are now in August 2018. Previously august 2018, I haven’t entered country, so highly impossible for them to think I am working... although who knows.... ? we will see

The "think you are working" may not be the real factor at play - rather an excuse (not many from the West want to work "under the table" for low wages in Thailand). 

The motivation with some checkpoints would appear to be, "This is one of the ones who has and will stick around / not leave quickly."  Answers to any questions which indicate a planned quick departure from Thailand, backed up by flight-proofs, non-Thai employment, etc, may be the best strategy. 

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, stoyania said:

it seems that the 90-days max in the last 6 months is still a requirement for VEEs?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/84498-FAQ.html

anyone that hs experience with this lately? I am a US citizen...the info above is from the UK embassy site 

There is no such limit, just wrong information on their website

6 minutes ago, stoyania said:

it seems that the 90-days max in the last 6 months is still a requirement for VEEs?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/84498-FAQ.html

anyone that hs experience with this lately? I am a US citizen...the info above is from the UK embassy site

That rule was rescinded in 2008. Just incorrect outdated info on a embassy website.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:40 PM, strikingsunset said:

Hi, OP here.

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

I note, this ( rolling) year I will be in Thailand 4 times, with a gap of circa 2 months each time and on average 3 weeks in Thailand each time.

So hopefully I will be  ' below the radar'

Cheers... 

You will be fine. 

OK, thanks. I have already 8 VEEs in my passport during the last 2 years and in the last 6 months I have been in thailand for 82 days.

I am flying to thailand next week, hoping no issues getting a VEE at BKK airport, planning to stay for 25 days this time...

On 2/22/2019 at 5:47 AM, stoyania said:

OK, thanks. I have already 8 VEEs in my passport during the last 2 years and in the last 6 months I have been in thailand for 82 days.

I am flying to thailand next week, hoping no issues getting a VEE at BKK airport, planning to stay for 25 days this time...

BTW, I am a dual citizen US/EU so should I instead enter on my EU passport this time? I have no thai entries on my EU passport...please advise

Edited by stoyania