Video: Brilliant police work as cop calms knifeman and it ends in a big hug

webfact

Video: Brilliant police work as cop calms knifeman and it ends in a big hug

3pm.jpg

Picture: video screenshot

BANGKOK: -- It is a situation that in many countries may have ended in a shooting of an assailant. But at Huay Kwang police station a potentially violent situation ended in a big Thai bear hug.

A 45 year old man had entered the station on Saturday night brandishing a knife with the situation caught on CCTV that was later shared online.

The hero of the hour was officer Anirut Malee who, rather than escalating the incident, talked reasonably to the clearly stressed man.

Anirut said: "He used to be a musician but had been working as a security guard for three days and had not been paid. On top of this he had had his guitar stolen and it was all stressing him out.

"I heard him out and sympathized and said I had a guitar to give him, and suggested we go out for a meal together. We were conversing in Southern Thai dialect".

Following his calming actions the man handed over the knife. Anirut threw it to one side and gave the man a big hug which was all caught on camera.

The cop was praised for his sensible actions online.

The man who was not named was sent to a hospital for an evaluation of his mental state.

No charges were reported.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-19

This is very refreshing unlike our home countries where the result would have been shoot and ask questions later if by a miraculous chance he survived.

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Before all the negative responses,very well done.!!!

We need more caring people like that.

What negative response ?   This police officer obviously understands the term policing and is a credit to the unassuming Thai.  I don't think such a wonderful thing could happen anywhere but Thailand. 

3 hours ago, nev said:

This is very refreshing unlike our home countries where the result would have been shoot and ask questions later if by a miraculous chance he survived.

Maybe your home country, but not mine.

well done and this Thai Policeman deserves a big salary raise as the force and the people, need more like him.. (assuming the whole issue is true and not a propaganda set up!!:shock1:)

in the USA and perhaps certain EU countries nowdays, you can get shot and murdered by the cops for much much less...

I agree the ending could have been bad in general in another country particularly my home U.S., but I have also been here long enough to know a pad on the back or hug from the guy isn't enough.

I agree, mental observation is needed in this case but while that is happening they need to review his past and if he has no past criminal history relating and determine mentally fit, then some form of minor charges need to be made. A form of punishment that this type of behavior is unacceptable to solve one's problem. Probation, behavior modification? If determine unfit, the of course get him help. Of course a hug is good but it is a short term solution :post-4641-1156694606:

1 hour ago, Gracas said:

Right guy in the right place at the right time.

Very true!!!.....he should serve as a room model hero to his colleagues in the RTP;  mainly those who are very good in getting tea money  but perhaps not so good in general policing!?...oh sorry...was just joking, as tea money with the Thai Police is just another urban farang legend!!:cheesy:...

Once again, my full respect and gratitude to this police officer. Wish him a long, honest and sucessful career within the force!

Too much emphasis is put on the negative with regards to police work. Tons of examples in western countries. We only hear the bad stuff. :thumbsup:

Job well done by this Thai policeman. 

<<<<Off topic comment and off topic image removed>>>>

Actually this is not an isolated incident.  Thai cops are great are not using their guns to solve situations where us police would have used force. Look at all the crazed naked foreigners, knife whirling thais and other incidents described here. I can't recall one where the cops shot them up.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What negative response ?   This police officer obviously understands the term policing and is a credit to the unassuming Thai.  I don't think such a wonderful thing could happen anywhere but Thailand. 

"What negative response ?" The negative response that often accompanies anything positive on TV about the RTP - and I am surprise that somebody hasn't already claimed it was just a set up to improve the image of Thailand.

Oh, sorry - just read Post No #9 :- (assuming the whole issue is true and not a propaganda set up!!)

And Post No #15:- "the hug is for the camera.and to lessen responsibility dont kid yourself"

13 minutes ago, nasanews said:

choosing music as a career is one bad idea unless your family can support you if you and probably will fail.:violin:

When Sting (Police - no pun intended!) was a teacher and decided to pursue music as a career instead, that is exactly what his boss/headmaster said to him! 

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

When Sting was a teacher and decided to pursue music as a career instead, that is exactly what his boss/headmaster said to him! 

Because he was extremely talented not like a young man who can play an instrument very good.   It is not enough.

2 hours ago, wirat69 said:

They have an academy??!!!!!

I expect they do. I have heard stories that those desiring to enter such an academy are required to pay large up front fees in cash.

9 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Because he was extremely talented not like a young man who can play an instrument very good.   It is not enough.

I'm sorry - I don't understand your post:- "not like a young man who can play an instrument very good." Surely being able to play an instrument "very good" is the same as "extremely talented"? 

Archived