How to clean home toilets that have a sceptic tank?

Sorry to raise the loo topic at lunchtime!!:shock1::cheesy:...but knowing that putting harsh chemical cleaners in a toilet with a sceptic tank will destroy the efficiency,

what other amusing or sensible recommendations to clean such a  loo?

A sceptic tank....I don;t believe you. If you want to clean a toilet with a septic tank, dump EM in the tank and let the microbes digest the yucky stuff.....clean your toilet with white vinegar and baking soda.

5 minutes ago, retarius said:

A sceptic tank....I don;t believe you. If you want to clean a toilet with a septic tank, dump EM in the tank and let the microbes digest the yucky stuff.....clean your toilet with white vinegar and baking soda.

why? are sceptic tanks rare in Thailand????...what is EM???....I was not asking about the deep storage area far below:crazy:...rather just above on the bowl, plainly the loo, as obviously use of regular cleaning fluids on the toilet bowl would kill the bacteria down below!!....

Anyhow...white vinegar and baking soda?..ok sounds good thanks, and I assume (baking soda)  it's available at BigC, Tesco etc etc???

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

what is EM???

EM = effective microorganisms.

Sold in plastic canisters.

I don't know too much about it.

Just used it once but at the wrong place, waisted.

yy.jpg

23 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

oki thanks...and this can be used in the bowl to clean it around?

EM isn't a cleaner, it's an additive to help keep the microorganisms alive in your septic tank.

I don't think there is any problem using a small amount of "Toilet Duck" or "Mr Muscle" toilet cleaner now and again. The septic tank probably contains 1,000L or more of liquids and solids, so a squirt of cleaner won't kill it.  Things to avoid are those blocks that go in the cistern, or are attached to the toilet rim, and send bleach to the tank with every flush.

Good idea would be to buy some EM or similar and flush it down the toilet now and again - depends on how much use the toilets get. Certainly, add some if you get any nasty smell from the tank.

We use this one from Tesco or Big C...

Green_Mate_SM700_150g._Tops_Shop_Online_-_2017-06-20_21_10_43.png.86c1547303f765d3a7c36ec2fed5c418.png

Called Green Mate in English - Small cardboard box (maybe7x10x5cm) at around 75B a box.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

EM isn't a cleaner, it's an additive to help keep the microorganisms alive in your septic tank.

I don't think there is any problem using a small amount of "Toilet Duck" or "Mr Muscle" toilet cleaner now and again. The septic tank probably contains 1,000L or more of liquids and solids, so a squirt of cleaner won't kill it.  Things to avoid are those blocks that go in the cistern, or are attached to the toilet rim, and send bleach to the tank with every flush.

Good idea would be to buy some EM or similar and flush it down the toilet now and again - depends on how much use the toilets get. Certainly, add some if you get any nasty smell from the tank.

We use this one from Tesco or Big C...

Green_Mate_SM700_150g._Tops_Shop_Online_-_2017-06-20_21_10_43.png.86c1547303f765d3a7c36ec2fed5c418.png

I was under the wrong impression that EM was a plain cleaner to use in the bowl. Thank you for the other bits of advice also as I was not sure if a bit of chemical cleaner now and then was harmful or not....but if EM keep the microorganismes alive and prevent nasty smells, what better could one ask for?!!!!! Thank you for the tips!

25 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

For cleaning false teeth------------ whats false teeth:smile:

lol sorry okaaay...I remember now those commercials!!...still have my teeth and have not entertained the tooth fairy much these years!!!

interesting...steradent to clean the water...good idea will also try that out!!!...Thanks for the information.

15 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

You worry too much - just carry on as normal - lots of bleach etc- Thailand is just one vast soak away ( never quite about the country types who dig their own wells)

Get the truck to empty- and help with the rice. 

:cheesy:...you are quite right as I do worry as I like to be careful about small details here and there...but I manage to live with it!.... in the meantime enjoy, and I will probably skip bleech, and unfortunately no rice fields around my area except in Tesco or BigC!!

1 minute ago, portroyal said:

Best product is french and called "Eparcyl granules 6 mois"

micro organisms which are slowly freed during a 6 month period, eating the shit

you can order. Y internet I guess

IMG_1282.JPG

merci to you monsieur...et on trouve ce produit en Thailande?

I installed one of those big black 'spherical' 2000 liter plastic/fiberglass septic tanks 10 years ago when we built the house in the wife's village. I used the internet to find the design of the leach/drain field.  The ''treated'' tank-waste flows into a cubic meter concrete distribution  'box' and then  through three outlets to three , twelve meter 4 inch perforated pipes. The pipes lay on a 40mm bed of course stones in  trenches over 1.5 meters deep. The pipes were then covered with another layer of stones and the stones covered with 2 layers of rice bags which prevent the soil falling through the stones. Trenches were then filled with soil. I incorporated a 4 inch inspection pipe in the top of the distribution box.

The tank takes waste water from  two  toilets including toilet paper , an en suite  bathroom with 2 sinks , bath and two showers. From 2 kitchens, a dishwasher and a laundry room with a washing machine and a sink in the bar flat LEO !. The amount of cleaning chemicals, washing powders  etc are not 'green' friendly by any means. I take samples ,now and again, of the ''treated water'' from the 'box' and it is gin clear !! I have the septic tank emptied twice a year. The lawn above the drain field is a lush green ! Venting from the septic tank rises to the very top of the house roof some 10 meters high. 

If your septic tank is of the 'local' design ie. concrete rings set on soil and taking only toilet waste then perhaps the other readers comments and advice on 'green' cleaning agents is  worth noting.  The 'local' designed septic tanks in my village are less than efficient ...phew !.... because  non-green cleaning agents from the village shop are obviously being used.

st1.JPG

14 hours ago, Humpy said:

I installed one of those big black 'spherical' 2000 liter plastic/fiberglass septic tanks 10 years ago when we built the house in the wife's village. I used the internet to find the design of the leach/drain field.  The ''treated'' tank-waste flows into a cubic meter concrete distribution  'box' and then  through three outlets to three , twelve meter 4 inch perforated pipes. The pipes lay on a 40mm bed of course stones in  trenches over 1.5 meters deep. The pipes were then covered with another layer of stones and the stones covered with 2 layers of rice bags which prevent the soil falling through the stones. Trenches were then filled with soil. I incorporated a 4 inch inspection pipe in the top of the distribution box.

The tank takes waste water from  two  toilets including toilet paper , an en suite  bathroom with 2 sinks , bath and two showers. From 2 kitchens, a dishwasher and a laundry room with a washing machine and a sink in the bar flat LEO !. The amount of cleaning chemicals, washing powders  etc are not 'green' friendly by any means. I take samples ,now and again, of the ''treated water'' from the 'box' and it is gin clear !! I have the septic tank emptied twice a year. The lawn above the drain field is a lush green ! Venting from the septic tank rises to the very top of the house roof some 10 meters high. 

If your septic tank is of the 'local' design ie. concrete rings set on soil and taking only toilet waste then perhaps the other readers comments and advice on 'green' cleaning agents is  worth noting.  The 'local' designed septic tanks in my village are less than efficient ...phew !.... because  non-green cleaning agents from the village shop are obviously being used.

st1.JPG

Wow!..quite a piece of work you did out there!! Thanks for such a detailed response....So in other words, to be sure I got it all right, all the household water goes into the tank, including from the kitchen, washing machine etc?

19 hours ago, Keesters said:

2 toilets...30 years....much usage...cleaned daily using all the usual chemical cleaners. NEVER had to have the tanks emptied.

Why

lppk.jpg

ok thanks!..I guess I do have quite a bit to explore on top now!!!!

On 6/20/2017 at 8:55 PM, hugh2121 said:

I don't think vinegar is recommended being an acid. Steradent (or equivalent) is safe and does a reasonable job.

vinegar is not considered an acid...actually its alkaline...its only 5 per cent if that

7 hours ago, yrag said:

vinegar is not considered an acid...actually its alkaline...its only 5 per cent if that

Vinegar is a liquid consisting of about 5–20% acetic acid (CH3COOH), water, and other trace chemicals, which may include flavorings. 

Source Wikipedia.

So vinegar is clearly acidic. Baking powder is mainly sodium bicarbonate, an alkali.

From my long distant schooldays: acid + alkali = salt of the acid + water.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, observer90210 said:

why? are sceptic tanks rare in Thailand????...what is EM???....I was not asking about the deep storage area far below:crazy:...rather just above on the bowl, plainly the loo, as obviously use of regular cleaning fluids on the toilet bowl would kill the bacteria down below!!....

Anyhow...white vinegar and baking soda?..ok sounds good thanks, and I assume (baking soda)  it's available at BigC, Tesco etc etc???

I wouldn't bother, I have tried it and it doesn't work. The vinegar and baking soda combine to give off a lot of gas and create water.

I found the best thing to keep the bowl clean is a bit of wet & dry.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I wouldn't bother, I have tried it and it doesn't work. The vinegar and baking soda combine to give off a lot of gas and create water.

I found the best thing to keep the bowl clean is a bit of wet & dry.

Hence your pen name I suppose.....

On 22/06/2017 at 1:52 AM, observer90210 said:

Wow!..quite a piece of work you did out there!! Thanks for such a detailed response....So in other words, to be sure I got it all right, all the household water goes into the tank, including from the kitchen, washing machine etc?

Really only black water (toilets) should go into the septic, grey water (showers, sinks etc) can go straight to the leech field.

59 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Really only black water (toilets) should go into the septic, grey water (showers, sinks etc) can go straight to the leech field.

ok thanks,,,I'll make sure the developper gets this one correct!!

Archived