Electric scooters, licence needed?

banagan

• 8 months later...

Depends on what kinda scooter? If its a mobility e-scooter for elderly people with walking problems like the Triad, it should be no problem. If its a electric kick scooter, its no problem as well. But if its a large electric scooter (the motorbike kind) then you would probably need one.

But Thai laws are very outdated about electric scooters, and the road act doesn't specifically say anything about it. Still in a grey area, but depends if you meet any police mafia or not i guess?

He is probably talking about this type of scooter which you can see everywhere in Vietnam.

I saw a scooter like this in Big C a while ago, something like 20k THB.

I think they drive maybe up to 30km/h, this speed is fine in the big cities in Vietnam, traffic is not going faster anyway, but i think for Thailand the top speed is just too low.

childchildrenschool-girl-on-an-electric-scooterscooterspollutionnoise-EHAFDE.jpg.5db580d2b75a583e1a8a6b041d46431e.jpg

Definitions from the Thai traffic law:

(๑๕) “รถ” หมายความว่า ยานพาหนะทางบกทุกชนิด เว้นแต่รถไฟและรถราง
Vehicle: All vehicles except trains and trams

(๑๖) “รถยนต์” หมายความว่า รถที่มีล้อตั้งแต่สามล้อและเดินด้วยกำลังเครื่องยนต์ กำลังไฟฟ้าหรือพลังงานอื่น ยกเว้นรถที่เดินบนราง
Car: Vehicle with 3 or more wheels which has an engine, either electric or other energy source and does not run on rails.

(๑๗) “รถจักรยานยนต์” หมายความว่า รถที่เดินด้วยกำลังเครื่องยนต์ กำลังไฟฟ้า หรือพลังงานอื่น และมีล้อไม่เกินสองล้อ ถ้ามีพ่วงข้างมีล้อเพิ่มอีกไม่เกินหนึ่งล้อ
Motorbike: Vehicle that is powered by an engine and that does not have more than 2 wheels. If it has a sidecar the sidecar may have one extra wheel.

So unless somebody can link to an exception for mobility scooters:

Mobility scooters are considered a car by law

Electric scooters are motorbikes by law

So you have to register them (blue / green book), pay tax and insurance, have to attach a license plate and do of course need a car / motorbike driving license

55 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Definitions from the Thai traffic law:

(๑๕) “รถ” หมายความว่า ยานพาหนะทางบกทุกชนิด เว้นแต่รถไฟและรถราง
Vehicle: All vehicles except trains and trams

(๑๖) “รถยนต์” หมายความว่า รถที่มีล้อตั้งแต่สามล้อและเดินด้วยกำลังเครื่องยนต์ กำลังไฟฟ้าหรือพลังงานอื่น ยกเว้นรถที่เดินบนราง
Car: Vehicle with 3 or more wheels which has an engine, either electric or other energy source and does not run on rails.

(๑๗) “รถจักรยานยนต์” หมายความว่า รถที่เดินด้วยกำลังเครื่องยนต์ กำลังไฟฟ้า หรือพลังงานอื่น และมีล้อไม่เกินสองล้อ ถ้ามีพ่วงข้างมีล้อเพิ่มอีกไม่เกินหนึ่งล้อ
Motorbike: Vehicle that is powered by an engine and that does not have more than 2 wheels. If it has a sidecar the sidecar may have one extra wheel.

So you have to register them (blue / green book), pay tax and insurance, have to attach a license plate and do of course need a car / motorbike driving license

We asked at the local DLT office, and the head honcho said,mobility scooters are not classed as cars, do not need license, number plate e.t.c. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

We asked at the local DLT office, and the head honcho said,mobility scooters are not classed as cars, do not need license, number plate e.t.c. 

Yes. And do not permeated use public road;)

10 minutes ago, ardokano said:

Yes. And do not permeated use public road;)

So you are saying, that you know better than the boss at the DLT office.

Nonsense, as i have already  posted the boss at the local DLT office says you do not need a license

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense, as i have already  posted the boss at the local DLT office says you do not need a license

I do not have any boss;).. And different officer talking different;)

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The guy at the Khon Kaen DLT office is above the law? Probably not. (I mean in theory he could be, same as the immigration police in Phuket is above the law, but this would be only valid for Khon Kaen then)

By the standard traffic / road law a mobility scooter is a car and unless you have some written and officially signed paper stating something else, that's a fact.

Just theoretical: The police stops you and fines you 1000THB for driving without a license plate. What are you going to do? Tell him some guy at the DLT said that's ok and then he just revokes the fine because you said that some guy said something?

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

The guy at the Khon Kaen DLT office is above the law? Probably not. (I mean in theory he could be, same as the immigration police in Phuket is above the law, but this would be only valid for Khon Kaen then)

By the standard traffic / road law a mobility scooter is a car and unless you have some written and officially signed paper stating something else, that's a fact.

Just theoretical: The police stops you and fines you 1000THB for driving without a license plate. What are you going to do? Tell him some guy at the DLT said that's ok and then he just revokes the fine because you said that some guy said something?

A mobility scooter as classed as a medical aid.

Now all you know alls should check this out before spouting off about people being wrong.

I checked it out when i first got my scooter.

Get stopped often by the police, most times assisting me over the main highway, or for a chat, and how much you pay for scooter, never once asked about license.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

A mobility scooter as classed as a medical aid.

Now all you know alls should check this out before spouting off about people being wrong.

I checked it out when i first got my scooter.

Get stopped often by the police, most times assisting me over the main highway, or for a chat, and how much you pay for scooter, never once asked about license.

I didn't say that you are necessarily wrong. I just mean that if you say something like this, you should provide a source. I provided a source (the traffic law) that classes a mobility scooter as a car.

It's possible that there is some exception from this law, you are the one claiming that it exists so please show us (Somebody told me something at the DLT is not a source).

The problem with Webboards like Thaivisa (and maybe websites in general) is that people often give wrong information because they think that something is in a certain way. So it's very helpful if you provide a source for what you say.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I didn't say that you are necessarily wrong. I just mean that if you say something like this, you should provide a source. I provided a source (the traffic law) that classes a mobility scooter as a car.

It's possible that there is some exception from this law, you are the one claiming that it exists so please show us (Somebody told me something at the DLT is not a source).

The problem with Webboards like Thaivisa (and maybe websites in general) is that people often give wrong information because they think that something is in a certain way. So it's very helpful if you provide a source for what you say.

Wife and i went to DLT office spoke to the boss he went into his office, phoned Bangkok, came out and said no license/ number needed for electric mobility scooter.

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wife and i went to DLT office spoke to the boss he went into his office, phoned Bangkok, came out and said no license/ number needed for electric mobility scooter.

Yes no need.. And not use public road;)

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Engine and motor are different in engineering terminology.  Technically, an engine runs on combustion.  A motor runs on electricity.    Whether they're different for DLT purposes, I haven't a clue.

In any case, when I ride my e-scooter and 2 e-bikes, I've never been stopped in Thailand.  All 3 are 2 wheelers, and all 3 have functional pedals, which would qualify them as "bicycles" in the USA- though the laws in Thailand are a mystery to me.   Like a lot of things in Thailand, I'd be more concerned about what the next cop thinks than what the rules are.  Even in my pickup doing nothing wrong, it's been easier to pay the tea money than argue or risk having to go to the station later to retrieve my DL.

And I'm also keenly aware that I'm liable for any damage I cause, even if I'm not required to purchase insurance.  And the vagaries related to deciding who caused what damage in a Thai accident scenario.

Edit:  The other question to which I don't have an answer is whether injuries are covered under travel insurance if someone wrecks an e-scooter or e-bike- in any of the potential configurations that may legally classify them in one category or another.  I counted on my employer provided health insurance, so that wasn't an issue for me.  But I'd suggest getting a written clarification from the insurance provider before I'd count on coverage under a travel policy. 

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I use it on the public road every week.

No license needed, or are you saying DLT boss is wrong?

Again tell I am not have any "boss"... Every day many thousands prostitute use. Every day selling many beer after 24.00 so what? :)

I know a couple of guys in Pattaya who have golf buggies they drive around, no number plate, and they insist no license is required, and both have enquired and been stopped by police (waved on). I have noticed that golf buggies used on public roads by hotels etc dont have number plates.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I know a couple of guys in Pattaya who have golf buggies they drive around, no number plate, and they insist no license is required, and both have enquired and been stopped by police (waved on). I have noticed that golf buggies used on public roads by hotels etc dont have number plates.

Even if the cops in one town wave them on, I'd be more concerned with liability in case they run into a big Mercedes Benz while they're standing still at a stoplight.

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

Even if the cops in one town wave them on, I'd be more concerned with liability in case they run into a big Mercedes Benz while they're standing still at a stoplight.

I imagine it would have the same liability as any other not registered, no license vehicle. Pushbike, skateboard electric wheelchair etc. A civil liability for damages, but not covered under motor traffic act etc

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I imagine it would have the same liability as any other not registered, no license vehicle. Pushbike, skateboard etc. A civil liability for damages, but not covered under motor traffic act etc

Probably true, and a good point.  But the other half of my point was that just because a few cops in Pattaya look the other way when someone does something doesn't mean I can do it in Chiang Mai, and doesn't mean that the hammer of justice (legal and metaphorical justice) won't squash me like a bug if there's an accident.  Whether it's my fault or not.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

:) I know couple bar in Pattaya they sell beer after 24.00 .. But its not mean its legal and can sell alcohol in Thailand after 24.00 ;)

I do think there will be changes in the law as electric motorcycles become more prevalent.   I doubt that HONDA would announce it's planning to manufacture electric and hybrid Honda PCX motorcycles in the near future if they would be illegal.  Maybe some changes in the law are coming.

Archived