Convicted Dutch money launderer and Thai wife have sentences drastically reduced

webfact

9 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He shouldn't be serving any time at all. 

He broke no laws here. 

Also if the maximum punishment under law for the offense he was 'convicted' of is 20 years, how can a court pass sentence of over 5 times that?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, catman20 said:

20 year's sentence 57 might as well stayed at 103 years and saved his money.

Blimey!! 103 years. He would be 160 when he got out. Bet he's relieved though. His wife might not have waited faithfully for him for that long.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

hum....must have offended someone amongst the cited high up persons...

and over flaunting around the cash with Porsches and properties, not such a good idea anywhere, as jealousy towards the wrong people can get you in trouble, no matter how innocent you may be....

better remain modest and discreet if you are rich to really rich, in any country in the world!!

Wise words,....well said !!!

He got a wonderful life already I suppose. If he is lucky and of good health he might use his Porsche once again. But his wife will visit him later and can tell him how his Porsche makes it on the roads (maybe her boyfriend is the driver?)

7 hours ago, LEKPHUKET said:

In this case there are more facts playing then reported in the local press. I followed that case in different tv shows in the Netherlands and  it seems that a former high ranking military attache of the embassy in Bkk was involved in signing wrong translated documents in this case. Due to this that couple was presented like a big drug lord.Many politicians and tv hosts set up petitions to push the goverment to resolve this mistake but the prime minister Rutte not wanted to loose face just sending his minister to Bkk to explain the misunderstanding should have solved this case. Interesting fact is that the military attache should has resigned,started a wine business on Sukhumvit but should have used his position to import stuff cheap to Thailand, this was reported on the website who support a petition to free the couple. This money was made legally in the Netherlands, how can it be money laundering in Thailand?? Now I think that Mr Van Loven had to much trust in the thai banking system, there are enough countries around where he could have parked his legally own money. Keep just what you need here in my opinion, there are a lot of jaleous people here who like to take a part of your cake. Hopefully they will be free soon as they already served a few years and that they can pick up there lives. But shame to the goverment of the Netherlands to let escalate this story and ruine there lives.

very well said, I agree with you not to trust the Thai banking system, and take just enough money you need here, (a bit more, just in case?!?!?)

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

I knew people that knew him and if he was 100% cosha why was he telling people he made his money from having a big building company ? It's all sounds to iffy. lot more to this story.

I think if I'd made my money from Dutch Coffee Shops I'd say the same?  I have no idea if he's ok or not but jailing him when there are no charge in his home country and he broke no laws here is against natural justice in most people's book. 

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Well, it depends on how the laws are written and interpreted. As a Swede I could get prosecuted back in Sweden if I go with a prostitute here in Thailand, that is because prostitution is illegal in Sweden and the law is written so that it is illegal for me to go with a prostitute anywhere, even in a country where prostitution is legal (remember that prostitution is illegal in Thailand). The same goes with drugs as I could legally get high abroad but if test shows that I have been high when I get back home I could be sent to rehab for drug use... So basically if I would go to Amsterdam, smoke weed and <deleted> a hooker (both is legal there) I could end up in jail coming back to Sweden!

So selling cannabis is legal in Holland but still illegal in Thailand and if they would interpret the law the same <deleted>up way they do in Sweden then...  

Well that's as maybe but personally i am DEAD against the State (and State) controlling their population like this.

Live and Let Live and that goes for gays, katoeys, toms, lesbians and all inbetween including pot smokers.  Life is short.

The Dutch and the Thai authorities it would seem are endangering us all through their neglect of this case. Shame on them both. Anyone who is in a position to recover any funds lost to the shop owner is obligated to do so if this situation is to be rectified, the people who have organized this conspiracy, if it turns out there is one,  should be named and punished not the victim. Fund movements can easily be traced, is this case not important enough for such a thing to investigated?  

11 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I think if I'd made my money from Dutch Coffee Shops I'd say the same?  I have no idea if he's ok or not but jailing him when there are no charge in his home country and he broke no laws here is against natural justice in most people's book. 

As I said there's more to this story. They don't just throw people in jail for being rich. 

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

I thought he made his money legally in Holland, how can you launder clean money

He made his money through selling mariuana in his coffeeshops, which in itself is perfectly legal in the Netherlands. However, since it is a cash business, and producers have to be paid under the table, a lot of his income through the coffeeshops was not declared... Now the Dutch government does not care about the pot, but it is a ferocious moneygrabber, so they did not want him to get away with it. Hence the dutch request for thai help in the matter.

Nobody thought he would get 75 years in prison, in Holland it would have been a hefty fine plus a few months probation.

Fortunately next year he will be eligable to transfer to the Netherlands, where he will probably be set free forthwith.

8 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Bottom line is thailand is the 19th most dangerouse country in the world rings true here.

I look at thailand like a wolf in sheeps clothing. It feels safe to be here, but youre not safe at all here you just think you are.

learning about this shameful case makes me feel very unsafe in Thailand. I am considering to leave.

Maybe this is stating the obvious but if one really has that kind of money and are doing business at that level in Thailand you need to be putting in serious time cultivating a group of higher ups to intervene and protect you when things head south.  This is the "Thai way" and it works most of the time.  Its not true that money alone will assure you of this support, money is simply the price of entry, a seat at the table.  It's about building mutually beneficial relationships ... and getting off ones backside learning to speak Thai reasonably well.

47 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Serious question, having convicted him of a drug crime, are the Thai authorities able to confiscate his assets?

They never convicted him of a drug crime,, They convicted him of SUPPOSEDLY laundering the $$ obtained from selling pot in Holland, where it is LEGAL,,, and Yes,, they confiscated his Thai bank accounts, homes, cars, property,,, Holland NEVER convicted him of any crime, Thieving Thai's saw a chance to STEAL him blind, and did. AND gave him 103 years, for a crime that the maximum sentence is 20 years,,, 

1 minute ago, Moonmoon said:

I thought the money was all legal and n proven not guilty already in Netherlands. What right does Thailand have to imprison this man? He did not make any money from any Thai person at all for what he was accused of.

Exactly

6 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

I thought the money was all legal and n proven not guilty already in Netherlands. What right does Thailand have to imprison this man? He did not make any money from any Thai person at all for what he was accused of.

It seems Thailand - while ethically having no right  to do so - they claim every right they want to imprison the innocent and to let the guilty walk free

1 hour ago, Adeeos said:

They never convicted him of a drug crime,, They convicted him of SUPPOSEDLY laundering the $$ obtained from selling pot in Holland, where it is LEGAL,,, and Yes,, they confiscated his Thai bank accounts, homes, cars, property,,, Holland NEVER convicted him of any crime, Thieving Thai's saw a chance to STEAL him blind, and did. AND gave him 103 years, for a crime that the maximum sentence is 20 years,,, 

If its a simple case of harvesting a farang, that would be depressing.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

shortened to 20 years after appeal as this is the maximum term for money laundering.

So the maximum penalty for offending 'high up persons' is 83 years. Duly noted.  I expect this is only the case when offenders don't end up in a ditch before trial. 

5 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Maybe this is stating the obvious but if one really has that kind of money and are doing business at that level in Thailand you need to be putting in serious time cultivating a group of higher ups to intervene and protect you when things head south.  This is the "Thai way" and it works most of the time.  Its not true that money alone will assure you of this support, money is simply the price of entry, a seat at the table.  It's about building mutually beneficial relationships ... and getting off ones backside learning to speak Thai reasonably well.

Obviously thought he didn't need to.

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

I wonder how many wai´s it was for get a reduction from 103 to 20 years. According to 50% of the sentence all the time, it will not be an even number. That´s in reality same impossible as the a sentence for serving time at all.

He should be out by christmas then after giving a 10 million baht tip ha 

1 hour ago, Maggusoil said:

Obviously thought he didn't need to.

You mean he should go from being a legit, legal business man in his country, to joining up, cowing down, playing ball with, and paying off, Government gangster's, and technically becoming a gangster, briber of officials, gangster thug himself, just to, "get along" and avoid being robbed???.. He wasn't doing business in Thailand, (at least not from the reports)... He moved here to retire, from a LEGIT business he ran in Holland, only to be ROBBED by not some shady, back-room thugs,, but GOVERNMENT officials, and the "justice" system,,, 

3 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

You mean he should go from being a legit, legal business man in his country, to joining up, cowing down, playing ball with, and paying off, Government gangster's, and technically becoming a gangster, briber of officials, gangster thug himself, just to, "get along" and avoid being robbed???.. He wasn't doing business in Thailand, (at least not from the reports)... He moved here to retire, from a LEGIT business he ran in Holland, only to be ROBBED by not some shady, back-room thugs,, but GOVERNMENT officials, and the "justice" system,,, 

OK OK calm down. What did I say? He obviously didn't think he needed to. Or in other words. EXACTLY phew, you get your head blown off for quoting the obvious here.

Still. Its the law of the jungle. I am living in a different even more dangerous jungle at the moment and to have a friend who has influence in emergencies, deserved or otherwise, is not a bad thing as this case seems to point out. The Forrest Gump, sh. . t factor, can happen anywhere. With disastrous consequences.

Archived