Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

10 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Did the police shoot out the tires causing the man's truck to veer out of control into the motorbike?

You think the police were present at the scene of this accident when it happened ? Or parheps they turned up after it happened ?

The police are mostly reactionary. They wait for something to happen, then they turn up when someone calls them.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Prbkk said:

The details are vague but if it was a pursuit at speed then the police bear ( a small) part of the responsibility: follow at a distance, monitor and arrest at the destination should be the rule ( unless there is imminent danger to human life).

sorry, not the police's fault WHATSOEVER

there is NO possible excuse to absolve this misbegotten murderer from perditition in prison 

10 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

That's the latest input - though I'm not totally convinced of any of it just yet...

If the police shot out his tyres, then he's completely blameless.

Even in Western countries, USA and UK at least, if the police use stinger or cars to stop a runaway, they're responsible for causing injury. They are expected to let them go and make a later arrest if it gets to be life threatening.

Whatever this Ozzie has done, he doesn't deserve to be blamed for damage caused by them shooting out his tyres.

yeah he does...

if he hadn't fled, they don't shoot his tires-

and if one isn't driving a high rate of speed, one doesn't lose control of a vehicle even if tires are flattened/shot out

sorry, NOTHING absolves this jerk, he deserves ALL the bad things that are going to happen to him

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Very sorry for the thai death and her passangers badly hurt. Now 15 year jail for him. Pay all expencies for the children. But 3 people on a 2 seat motorbike is illegal and if he hit them head on who was on the wrong side of the road. If the thai lady was on the wrong side of the road then his sentence should be reduced by say 5 years to 10 years. Sorry its my opinion

3 people on a m/c might be illegal, but even more illegal is fleeing the scene of an accident

then committing manslaughter by having another accident...

i see 3, 4, even 5 people on a m/c daily; i've done it both as driver and passenger, too often to count;

it's just what is done here

that said, would sure like to see REAL justice in the case of a certain energy drink scion who murdered a cop with his car

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks for sharing this info and if correct about kids RIP and yes this new data certainly is very different and brings into question the use of force taken and the disregard for the consequences of such force which may have contributed to the collision. 

if he hadn't been escaping at a high rate of speed and drunk,

he wouldn't have lost control, even with the tires shot out

ANYBODY attempting to deflect blame from this murderer to the cops is WRONG

Kinda like when a Thai does it people here judge all Thai drivers, ain't it?

Fleeing the scene is often the correct thing to do but not when the police are there! 

A friend who worked here 20 plus years ago was told by his company that if he was in an accident to leave the scene and contact the company lawyers. The point was that if the police had you, you were truly screwed.

I don't think much has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Right. Australians trust their police, don't they. They trust Thai police in the boonies, don't they. The Thai police are very trustworthy and you should always stop for them.

People shot dead by Thai police are all bad people, aren't they.

Is there ANY other country that endorses police drawing weapons and shooting at truck tyres when there are women driving bikes with kids out of school?

yes, there is America, where police regularly just shoot unarmed people's lives out for no good reason

this guy was drunk and speeding and fleeing the scene of another crash, the police action may have saved even more lives;

if he wasn't speeding, even with the tires shot out he would not have lost controil

although corrupt to the core, ALL Thai police that i know and talk to (and i know and have talked to- and partied with- MANY) and have seen in action reserve deadly force until absolutely necessary for self defense or stop further loss of life

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Too true and unfortunately this guy isn't the only one. As I mentioned on another thread, two foreigners where I live also show a disregard for the traffic laws. R.I.P. to the lady and condolences to her family. I truly hope the children involved recover although it seems that will be unlikely given the nature of the injuries mentioned in the post.

the children have, evidently, passed, quite sadly :sad:

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I will be in for it when 'er indoors comes home , up to now she says I am a good driver but after she sees this on the news tonight my ratings will go way down. 

irrelevant, inappropriate and completely insensitive comment about this tragic event ...... feeling proud of yourself I hope ✌️??

10 hours ago, DaveE13 said:

Idiot should of just stopped after the minor knock.  Now he is <deleted>. 

may the wheels of justice turn correctly,
but surely some relatives of these killed will consider that option for a moment.

11 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Great. If I see you, I'll shout 'damn, she looks like a depressive manic junky' and start chasing you. Hopefully you'll run away so I can shoot you.

There are a few stories about police and soldiers shooting dangerous criminals running away. They're always dangerous once you scare them into running - everyone knows they must have a really hideous reason for running.

Nothing excuses you, you deserve all the bad things that will happen to you.

nurse ......... he's out of bed again ??✌️?

17 minutes ago, RobFord said:

A friend who worked here 20 plus years ago was told by his company that if he was in an accident to leave the scene and contact the company lawyers. The point was that if the police had you, you were truly screwed.

I don't think much has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was given similar advice after a fairly minor affair turned into a major 2 year slog.

In the end, I paid a 4000 baht fine in court - it really wasn't so serious. But everyone told me that, if there are people around that can take care of things, there's no benefit to your hanging around.

It kind of goes against the grain, but some crazy old guy ran into me riding my bike in a soi, and I ran away because there were LOADS of people watching... a bit scary. Later on I met the police, very polite they were - and met the family in hospital who were polite at first and then a little greedy. They turned down an offer of 10k to send him home for a holiday for a month (His job around 5000 he said) and ended up with medical costs only.

Sure, no need to stay at the scene if there's others there (busy road or whatever). They'll soon track you down when they want to talk.

25 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

if he hadn't been escaping at a high rate of speed and drunk,

he wouldn't have lost control, even with the tires shot out

ANYBODY attempting to deflect blame from this murderer to the cops is WRONG

What makes you an authority? You know no more about what happened than anybody here.

Just now, Thai Ron said:

So Australian immigrant in Thailand wipes out family after minor scrape.

20 years imprisonment is the only acceptable punishment

There are no Australian immigrants in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

So Australian immigrant in Thailand wipes out family after minor scrape.

20 years imprisonment is the only acceptable punishment

Here we go again - you're making huge leaps with no evidence. The sensible folks are waiting for more news... The crazy ones are busy judging on the basis of a few crazy comments.

Take care about accepting reports about a 'minor knock' he ran away from.... is any of this story true?

22 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

yes, there is America, where police regularly just shoot unarmed people's lives out for no good reason

this guy was drunk and speeding and fleeing the scene of another crash, the police action may have saved even more lives;

if he wasn't speeding, even with the tires shot out he would not have lost controil

although corrupt to the core, ALL Thai police that i know and talk to (and i know and have talked to- and partied with- MANY) and have seen in action reserve deadly force until absolutely necessary for self defense or stop further loss of life

An opinion, nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Yes there are.

You do know what an immigrant is, don't you? Someone who has come to live permanently in another country. Thailand only grants permanent status to those who become Thai citizens. How many of those are Aussies do you think?

Just now, giddyup said:

You do know what an immigrant is, don't you?

I do but just because they haven't been granted indefinite leave to remain, to all intents and purposes, they can remain here for good with endless extensions of stay.

They've moved here for economic reasons - sound like immigrants/migrants to me

If as reported, a minor accident and then flees the scene resulting in a fatality and serious injury to 2 kids  - - no sympathy from this Aussie -  throw the book at him. 

Why flee a minor accident, a few wai's and a few hundred Bht would have sorted the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I do but just because they haven't been granted indefinite leave to remain, to all intents and purposes, they can remain here for good with endless extensions of stay.

They've moved here for economic reasons - sound like immigrants/migrants to me

No. That's not what an immigrant is. The Thai government doesn't grant permanence to those on retirement extensions. If for whatever reason the laws change and you no longer satisfy the requirements, out you go. Not so the case with immigrants. Not only that you don't have any of the rights a Thai citizen would have.

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The article and events are bad, that's for sure.

But I'm not sure what to make of the "fleeing" the scene of the accident and being chased by police bit.  The article kind of makes it sound like the guy was running away from the accident and police when the fatal crash occurred.

But at another point in the article, after the initial smaller accident, it says he was heading to Central for lunch.

He obviously didn't stop after the initial minor accidents. But it also doesn't sound like he was like racing away to avoid the police when the second, fatal crash occurred.

Not sure what was going on with this guy, but he does certainly seem a menace on the road. Wonder what his "mental illness" is all about.

Substantial front damage to his truck from the bike collision.   Probably not going that slow.  The leaving two previous accidents certainly speaks of some mental or alcohol problem.  I wouldn't give great credence to the "going to lunch" story.

Just now, giddyup said:

No. That's not what an immigrant is. The Thai government doesn't grant permanence to those on retirement extensions. If for whatever reason the laws change and you no longer satisfy the requirements, out you go.

Hence the non=immigrant typed on the visa but as I said, to all intents and purposes, they're migrants/immigrants.

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Hence the non=immigrant typed on the visa but as I said, to all intents and purposes, they're migrants/immigrants.

Your intent and purpose, certainly no one else believes that. An immigrant shares the same rights as a citizen, those on retirement extensions don't even come close.

Archived