Bankruptcy warning for Sino-Thai high-speed rail project

snoop1130

Will never happen, the Chinese will not allow it. Their performance in Northern Laos, arguably a much more challenging territory, shows that they can manage and, trust me on that, failure is not an option.

If Khon Thai cannot handle it, then the Thai leadership will be invited to tea in Beijing, will get the message straight from the horse's mouth, come back, trigger off Article 44++ and get the job done. Alternatively the Chinese will do the job because they proved that they can do it.

I'm not a fan of Chinese neocolonialism but too many incompetent, incapable, unable and corrupt Somchais are in the race and the Chinese are not taking anything of that. It's wake-up time now! 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, this is going to be great entertainment, watching Prayuth and his co-conspirators come a humungous cropper.

They will be long gone before this Rail link is finished, and the Back handers will be well

spent..............................lol

At least when they build unnecessary roads the money raked of in the process stays in Thailand and is circulated back into the economy. Paying another country to build your folly for you seems ludicrous.

The Thais have a history of cheating foreign companies but I doubt the Chines gov. will be such easy prey.

1 hour ago, hugh2121 said:

Is it not the current practice for the PM to be responsible for government debts incurred through negligence?

The current law is that Prayut as Chief of the NCPO has constitutional immunity from the consequences of any issuance of the NCPO directives such as the use of Article 44 as per the 2014 Interim Constitution and Article 265 of the 2017 Constitution.

So in answer to your question - no. The next elected government will not have this immunity and Prayut's appointed Senate (that will include the six members of the NCPO) will insure that there will be no law changes nor constitutional amendments to extend such immunity to elected governments.

Is it not the current practice for the PM to be responsible for government debts incurred through negligence?

I would add assets seizure too. Legal precedent has been set. 

Amnesty chaps, amnesty...

It would be difficult to say it would be successful.  There are so many primitive and core problems that need to be addressed.  Submarines and high speed trains are not going to solve the most basic problems like law enforcement, corruption and education.  The project will fail for the mentioned reasons, and the country will slide backward even more.

Can someone clarify if this is freight or passenger?
Who would take a high speed train from Bangkok to Korat? It is only a 2.30 hour drive and mostly it is Hi So Thais who go there in the Khao Yai season, and they are never going to lug their families to a train station instead of driving (you need a car when in Korat anyway to get around). Workers going back to Korat or deeper Issan would not pay for it and will just get cheap buses the once or twice a year they go home.
So who exactly is going to use this train?

Nobody... stupid project.

There are  11 countries in the World with proper high speed Railways 300kph plus. China , France, Germany, Spain , Japan, Uk , Italy , South Korea , Taiwan , Belgium , Netherlands. Apart from China they are all first world countries. How can Thailand afford to invest in it. The definition of high speed is 250kph plus , so dont be expecing some kind of Deutsche bahn, Shinkansen bullet train

12 hours ago, HooHaa said:

My you really are rather a dull fellow and do tend to repeat yourself.

At least it does seem borne of a genuine bitterness.

Please, show us on the doll where the bad thailand touched you.

Sorry, friend, can't talk to you now. It's the wrong day.

5 hours ago, KBsinter said:

Good luck, this is going to be great entertainment, watching Prayuth and his co-conspirators come a humungous cropper.

They will be long gone before this Rail link is finished, and the Back handers will be well

spent..............................lol

Sadly I suspect that may happen.

3 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

I would love to see China claim Thailand as it did with Tibet, Hong Kong and Taiwan. China is unstoppable at this point. :stoner:

I agree, so long as they give me 10 days warning. The Thais can threaten to kick Chia's a$$ (like they usually do with other countries) and be all-around pains, but I am not so brave. I'll run.

12 hours ago, HooHaa said:

You presuppose that there will be a next government in place down the road to blame, when in fact the Constitution entrenches military power irrespective of who they allow to be elected.

That's what I said. 

All of the current projects and future 20 year and beyond projects will be directed by the first builder. All the blame for failed projects will be on the shoulders of the new selected builder.

The future has been planned absolutely brilliantly. 

I have been working with a lot of Thai Engineers and they are good in the math skills but they have a hard time to think out of the box, as all is memorized to the nano. If Thai Education system would be upgraded and learn from abroad, I don't see any reason why the Chinese should build the high-speed rail. The only exemption will be that all will go into contracts on contracts to another one who might have a brother who can do the consultancy. If the government actually believe the education system is on International level, why ask the Chinese?

1. Forget about High-speed train for now

2. Forget about sub-marine for now

3. Forget to make as a family paradise for now

4. Concentrate on domestic problems

5. Long term plan for tourism

6. Reduce school time and homework, let kid be kids

7.Enforce traffic rules with severe fines

8. Pull back encroached land which belong to Thailand

9. No more animal shows where it suffers

10. regulated fishing

11. Effective food safety board

12. Effective labor law

13. Certification of wearing orange rope

14. Equalize local and farang prices

15. Omg, still a lot more.

7 hours ago, Soitis said:

I have been working with a lot of Thai Engineers and they are good in the math skills but they have a hard time to think out of the box, as all is memorized to the nano. If Thai Education system would be upgraded and learn from abroad, I don't see any reason why the Chinese should build the high-speed rail. The only exemption will be that all will go into contracts on contracts to another one who might have a brother who can do the consultancy. If the government actually believe the education system is on International level, why ask the Chinese?

1. Forget about High-speed train for now

2. Forget about sub-marine for now

3. Forget to make as a family paradise for now

4. Concentrate on domestic problems

5. Long term plan for tourism

6. Reduce school time and homework, let kid be kids

7.Enforce traffic rules with severe fines

8. Pull back encroached land which belong to Thailand

9. No more animal shows where it suffers

10. regulated fishing

11. Effective food safety board

12. Effective labor law

13. Certification of wearing orange rope

14. Equalize local and farang prices

15. Omg, still a lot more.

Ah the dreams of a dreamer. If dreams were horses then beggars would ride.

There really isn't any point in repeating the failings of the Thai education system, nobody's listening and it isn't goinng to change. Thailand will wake up too late when they've been left behind.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted is something of a speciality of Thais, it's an education and critical thinking thing. Again.

14 hours ago, Dave67 said:

There are  11 countries in the World with proper high speed Railways 300kph plus. China , France, Germany, Spain , Japan, Uk , Italy , South Korea , Taiwan , Belgium , Netherlands. Apart from China they are all first world countries. How can Thailand afford to invest in it. The definition of high speed is 250kph plus , so dont be expecing some kind of Deutsche bahn, Shinkansen bullet train

Russia has a HS from Moscow to Petersburg (I've been on it) but it doesn't get above 200-220kph because the track can't cope ...

15 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Russia has a HS from Moscow to Petersburg (I've been on it) but it doesn't get above 200-220kph because the track can't cope ...

Even that would be a major improvement for Thailand. Trains struggle to get their average speed past 40kph and keep breaking down or bumping into things.

6 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

Even that would be a major improvement for Thailand. Trains struggle to get their average speed past 40kph and keep breaking down or bumping into things.

All true (corruption, poor planning, generalized incompetence and on and on), BUT shouldn't we at least encourage the triers?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I used to tell my staff in Canberra: If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing anything useful.

People not doing anything useful (no initiative) is, in my experience, a Thai specialty. We need to help move things forward. Simply tipping shit on all & every initiative is no use to anyone.

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

All true (corruption, poor planning, generalized incompetence and on and on), BUT shouldn't we at least encourage the triers?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I used to tell my staff in Canberra: If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing anything useful.

People not doing anything useful (no initiative) is, in my experience, a Thai specialty. We need to help move things forward. Simply tipping shit on all & every initiative is no use to anyone.

" If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing anything useful."

That's very true. Unfortunately the Thai expression 'Pit ben Kru', which has always seemed to me to be very wise, Sadly, Thais think that making a mistake represents a loss of face so they will go to extraordinary lengths to pretend they don't make any. Part of their Chinese cultural  legacy, though China appears less vulnerable to the vanity more recently.

38 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

" If you're not making mistakes, you're not doing anything useful."

That's very true. Unfortunately the Thai expression 'Pit ben Kru', which has always seemed to me to be very wise, Sadly, Thais think that making a mistake represents a loss of face so they will go to extraordinary lengths to pretend they don't make any. Part of their Chinese cultural  legacy, though China appears less vulnerable to the vanity more recently.

Tell me about it. Anything goes wrong in our family and I'm to blame, never my b/f.

Archived