Honda Dream expert mechanic needed

phuketsub

My old Honda Dream (1995) has trouble starting so I have been taking it to the local mechanic, who keeps changing the spark plugs -- now at a rate of about once a week.

They told me "Your bike is eating spark plugs, so you need to buy a new bike".

Unfortunately my town (Ranode) does not have an official Honda repair shop, just a dealership, who also of course would love me to get a new bike.

However, this is the first and only bike I have ever owned and I just want to get it fixed.

So two questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a good repair place in Songkhla Town, Hat Yai, Sathingpra , Singha Nakhon to get it fixed?

2. Has anyone else been through this problem and how serious is it?

I know there are shops in Phuket that can resurrect old Honda much older than mine, so I think it is just lack of expertise among the mechanics...but please correct me if I am wrong...

Any advice appreciated...

2 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

No. Sounds like the coil(s) isn't hot enough. If it is fouling plugs.

Thanks, but is that an easy fix? I am pretty clueless when it comes to motorcycle mechanics...

38 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

I didn't get a close look...since I have to change it again today, maybe I will take a pic and post it here for you to have a look. I really appreciate any advice you can provide.

That's a good idea.

Just now, GaryB1263 said:

That's a good idea.

Just got back from there and they said that have to 'yok kreuang' (literally: lift the engine)...I think they need to replace the piston, or something like that. One of them explained that smoke is leaking out and ruining the spark plugs...or at least that's how I understand it. They said it will take 2-3 days and cost 2,000-3,000 baht. My experience with such estimates is that it will come out at the top end of that range. Anyway, it is cheaper than getting a brand new bike, and they said they would guarantee replacement of spark plugs in the future...thanks again for your kind help.

I can ask around in Hat Yai, the Honda dealerships will likely want to push to buying a new one, just trying to find a workshop with an experienced mechanic is the task, might be worth looking along Sripoovarnart Road between Nipatuthit 3 and Tanrattanakorn junctions. Many bike shops and workshops along there, big bikes, small bikes and push bikes.

3 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

That's a good idea.

Just got back from there and they said that have to 'yok kreuang' (literally: lift the engine)...I think they need to replace the piston, or something like that. One of them explained that smoke is leaking out and ruining the spark plugs...or at least that's how I understand it. They said it will take 2-3 days and cost 2,000-3,000 baht. My experience with such estimates is that it will come out at the top end of that range. Anyway, it is cheaper than getting a brand new bike, and they said they would guarantee replacement of spark plugs in the future...thanks again for your kind help.

16 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I can ask around in Hat Yai, the Honda dealerships will likely want to push to buying a new one, just trying to find a workshop with an experienced mechanic is the task, might be worth looking along Sripoovarnart Road between Nipatuthit 3 and Tanrattanakorn junctions. Many bike shops and workshops along there, big bikes, small bikes and push bikes.

Thanks Stocky, but I already left it with the local guys...(see previous post)

I had my Honda Wave rebuilt last year.

New piston, rings, chain and sprocket set was 2300 baht including labour.

So the quoted figure is slightly high but not extreme !!

It might just be a carburetor issue though, shame you didn't get a photo of the plug !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived