Who is lying? What to do if you deposit 80,000 baht in the bank but they tell you after it was only 40,000....

webfact

Who is lying? What to do if you deposit 80,000 baht in the bank but they tell you after it was only 40,000....

22.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHAINAT: -- Thai Rath reported on a case in Chainat in central Thailand where an employee of a pet shot brought money to a bank to deposit.

The employee and the owner were adamant that they had deposited 80,000 baht but when the balance was checked later only 40,000 had been added to the account.

The bank in question - unusually named as Kasikorn in this case - has promised to cooperate with investigators after the bank teller was seen on CCTV putting the money into two piles.

One pile was put in a counting machine, the other directly into a draw.

Pet shop employee Wachira Ariyapongkorn, 41, had appealed to the government's Damrongtham center last week following the deposit that was made in April.

The pet shop owner Saisunee Oopetch was adamant that she had given Wachira 80,000 baht and he was equally sure he had handed over the full bundle to the teller at Kasikorn.

They demanded to see CCTV footage that did not confirm one way or another what had happened.

Police who have received the complaint said there were two piles of money because some was in just a few 500 baht notes and could be counted quickly without the necessity of putting it in a counting machine. The rest was in 1000s that went in the counting device, they said.

The case is further complicated by a claim from the pet shop that there had been a previous mistake made at the bank. On that occasion it had all been settled amicably when 110,000 was brought in to deposit but only 11,000 was credited to the account.

Following this the owner of the pet shop always checked things carefully.

But in the latest case the bank initially refused to do anything.

Now that Damrongtham and the police are involved Kasikorn have backed down and issued an official letter saying they intend to comply fully with investigators' requests.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-23

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a new scam......don't people check their accounts after deposits are made.....?

Always insist on a counting machine or open, visible manual counting, to check money when large deposits are made......

One reason why I keep the minimum here, some Banks cannot be trusted. When buying a house 5 years ago I transferred a lot of money at 50 baht to the pound, they hung onto the transfer for a couple of days before putting it into my account until the rate went down to 49, leaving me 40k lighter. No amount of complaining did any good at all. On a prior occasion they reversed the process giving me the lower rate when they received the money different to the higher rate they day it went into the account. I no longer use that Bank, or swift to do the transfers.

I have never had a time when they did not use a counting machine for amounts over 10K baht. They usually do it twice to confirm and show you the readout before any deposit is processed. Pay attention.

Funny thing is once I brought in about 400 baht in various coins and they did not have a machine, they called in 4 girls from the back to manually count it all...later they told me next time to count it beforehand and just tell them how much it was....5555

I had a similar incident years ago at Kasikorn Bank, in Bangkok. Thankfully the missing amount was much less. They had actually already credited my wife's bank account, but then changed the deposit amount after. Meeting with the bank manager was a waste of time, he merely wanted to project his perceived superiority. Closure of the account followed rapidly, as I did not want to leave my, or my wife's funds, in a crooked institution, Went across the road and opened an account at Bangkok Bank, who have been great for the 17 years since.    

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police who have received the complaint said there were two piles of money because some was in just a few 500 baht notes and could be counted quickly without the necessity of putting it in a counting machin

IME, They always use the counting machine. Even for a small amount of bills. Somebody's trying to pull a fast one.

46 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Is this a new scam......don't people check their accounts after deposits are made.....?

Always insist on a counting machine or open, visible manual counting, to check money when large deposits are made......

Agree, I check everything carefully. My Thai adult son also, and he's had nasty comments from the bank staff.

One time I was with him, he deposited cash and didn't receive a stamped signed deposit receipt, bank teller girl insisted the bank does not issue such documents. I countered by showing the signed stamped deposit slip I has just received from the next teller just 3 minutes beforehand for a different transaction.

Son insisted on talking to the manager. Several tellers tried to divert my son's request with comments like 'never mind it will be OK next time'. I have the bank HO number for internet banking on speed dial, I called and they quickly transferred me to the appropriate dept., and I told the HO bank guy what was happening, and he tried the same line 'never mind...'  etc.,  I insisted on speaking to a senior person and a lady came on the line, she listened carefully, perfect English and asked me to put the teller on the line.

Teller was told to put son's phone on speaker phone and she was obviously getting an ear full. Then teller was told to bring the manager to the phone and was told to keep the phone where it is so the customer (my Thai son) can hear the conversation.

Manager then sat at the desk and quickly made a copy of the deposit slip and in fear gave it to my son, then told the teller to collect her bag etc., and leave the office. Teller never seen again (at that branch). During all of this my son was using his smartphone to take photos of the staff involved.

I told the HO lady that son had photos, she instantly gave me her personal mobile number and said 'yes please, please send me the photos' and she sent a thank you response to my son.

For the next several months, every time my son or myself went into that branch the tellers quickly called the manager who came and personally sat at the tellers desk and sheepishly did the transaction.

My lawyer and accountant (my ex MBA student) operates a now quite large business consultancy, most of her customers are new / recent / old off shore companies, and she continuously gets new customers from good recommendations, she can tell you dozens of negative / shocking stories about unethical incidents at Thai banks.

On a couple of occasions she had personally taken new start up clients to a Thai bank and after 5 minutes of lack of focused service, lots of bullshxx ('it's now Bank of Thailand policy that all new accounts must have an ATM card', which is not true), insistence that customer has to sign blank forms etc., she has quickly grabbed all the forms and ripped them up and taken the client to another bank. She's a very professional and polite lady but she take no bullshxx.

Her advice with cash deposits is to complete the deposit slip yourself and ensure the deposit amount is written in numbers and characters, and read it to the teller when you give the teller the deposit slip and the cash.  

On a personal basis she does the same thing for her own deposits and also tells the teller to keep all the cash on the desk until it's all agreed by both the teller and herself. 

I got called 'a bitter farang' because I said I didn't trust banks (that's all banks by the way). It was just assumed I meant only Thai banks. I just told a couple of newbies to be careful when depositing money. You don't speak Thai and it's probable the teller won't speak English. Under this dynamic the tellers can get nervous and make mistakes. They also make mistakes, because in my personal experience, they aren't trained all that well. So......just be careful. It ain't personal it's business, as they say. 

I usually use the cash deposit machines as it's quicker and easier. But I always check and never take anything for granted. 

17 minutes ago, DLang said:

Give them the cash to deposit and the bank book to update at the same time. 

Simple. 

It seems that values are reduced after the deposit transaction....so maybe detected when a passbook update is done, and in some cases, shows a deduction.

54 minutes ago, tonray said:

I have never had a time when they did not use a counting machine for amounts over 10K baht. They usually do it twice to confirm and show you the readout before any deposit is processed. Pay attention.

Funny thing is once I brought in about 400 baht in various coins and they did not have a machine, they called in 4 girls from the back to manually count it all...later they told me next time to count it beforehand and just tell them how much it was....5555

I use K Bank and they always use the machine, at least twice, sometimes X 3. This sounds like a rogue branch.

4 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

It seems that values are reduced after the deposit transaction....so maybe detected when a passbook update is done, and in some cases, shows a deduction.

I get them to update the book immediately. Always.

41 minutes ago, halloween said:

How can this be simple error? If it was, it would have shown up at the end of day till check. If the till checked OK, the obvious explanation is the teller nicked it, and her dodgy actions add to that suspicion..

you have assumed they handed over 80,000 not 40,000

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The case is further complicated by a claim from the pet shop that there had been a previous mistake made at the bank. On that occasion it had all been settled amicably when 110,000 was brought in to deposit but only 11,000 was credited to the account.

Would have been a good time to change banks.

Just now, halloween said:

I thought that would be a reasonable assumption with a bank with a history of errors in their favour.

well... we don't know and I have no idea if they did or the teller got it wrong but I think it's highly unlikely she stole it knowing CCTV was everywhere (and working presumably) 

34 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

I use K Bank and they always use the machine, at least twice, sometimes X 3. This sounds like a rogue branch.

Agreed, and I'm aware  of this. Farang came in to make a payment on his credit card.

The rude loudmouth female teller said, in excellent English, payment system all changed, cannot accept cash that you bring into the bank, you have to take a cash advance against your credit card and use that money to make a payment on your credit card.

This is not how banking works and never will be. Credit cards are high risk for banks, and even higher risk with cards issued to non-Thais, therefore banks will never refuse to take any CC payment at any time. 

Also, if the card is maxed out the customer cannot take a cash advance, therefore no payment possible - no bank would ever set up something like this.

Farang called the bank HO in Bkk and HO called the branch, spoke to the manager and told manager:

- To bring the security guard inside the bank.

- Immediately lock the door and allow no other customers or anybody to enter. or leave.

- Tell the teller to step away from her desk but not leave the room, and security guard now standing at the only internal door other than the customer entry door. 

- Tell the customer trying to make the payment to please wait in the bank with apologies for the situation.

- To count all the cash at the errant tellers desk and do a print out of all transactions up to the time of the problem. 

- Within a few minutes a discrepancy was discovered (I don't know any details).

- Another teller then told to process the customers' card payment with the cash he had brought into the bank. Customer invited to leave but asked to please check all his documents carefully. Many apologies.

- Police called and take the teller away. 

- Next time customer went to this branch, every staff member had changed, and new manager monitoring every detail.

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

well... we don't know and I have no idea if they did or the teller got it wrong but I think it's highly unlikely she stole it knowing CCTV was everywhere (and working presumably) 

There are numerous stories of bank employees stealing depositor's funds in Thailand and numerous times the employee has been caught.

The fact that the CCTV in this case is inconclusive suggests that if the bank teller was stealing, she was smart enough to know to stagger the theft procedure so there would be sufficient doubt over whether there was a theft or not. However, I do not think we can say it is "highly unlikely". In fact I would say it was "very possible".

9 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

You think it highly unlikely because of CCTV, which shows "just a few B500 notes" about as thick as a brick going into a drawer uncounted. Easy for you to say, not your money.

I have 2 Bangkok Bank accounts and I have seen my money counted  by the bank counting machine every time  I deposited my money.

it was always done right in front of me so I could see the results.

In addition, all deposits are always credited by the bank computer and the results printed out in my bankbook.

Human errors are always possible, so I never leave the counter until I verify the bankbook tally.

Once I asked for withdrawal of 4000 Baht and the bank teller accidentally withdrew 40,000 Baht.

Of curse I pointed out the error and returned the extra money.

I don't doubt people cheat, get cheated, make mistakes and whatnot, but I've been here a while and trade with Kbank, Krungsri & Citi, and I don't remember ever encountering any rude and or crude bank employees.

It could be the guy got cheated, it could be the tried to cheat the bank. The bank made a mistake with his deposit once before and made it right, maybe the guy thought it was worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived