Who is lying? What to do if you deposit 80,000 baht in the bank but they tell you after it was only 40,000....

webfact

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, I check everything carefully. My Thai adult son also, and he's had nasty comments from the bank staff.

One time I was with him, he deposited cash and didn't receive a stamped signed deposit receipt, bank teller girl insisted the bank does not issue such documents. I countered by showing the signed stamped deposit slip I has just received from the next teller just 3 minutes beforehand for a different transaction.

Son insisted on talking to the manager. Several tellers tried to divert my son's request with comments like 'never mind it will be OK next time'. I have the bank HO number for internet banking on speed dial, I called and they quickly transferred me to the appropriate dept., and I told the HO bank guy what was happening, and he tried the same line 'never mind...'  etc.,  I insisted on speaking to a senior person and a lady came on the line, she listened carefully, perfect English and asked me to put the teller on the line.

Teller was told to put son's phone on speaker phone and she was obviously getting an ear full. Then teller was told to bring the manager to the phone and was told to keep the phone where it is so the customer (my Thai son) can hear the conversation.

Manager then sat at the desk and quickly made a copy of the deposit slip and in fear gave it to my son, then told the teller to collect her bag etc., and leave the office. Teller never seen again (at that branch). During all of this my son was using his smartphone to take photos of the staff involved.

I told the HO lady that son had photos, she instantly gave me her personal mobile number and said 'yes please, please send me the photos' and she sent a thank you response to my son.

For the next several months, every time my son or myself went into that branch the tellers quickly called the manager who came and personally sat at the tellers desk and sheepishly did the transaction.

My lawyer and accountant (my ex MBA student) operates a now quite large business consultancy, most of her customers are new / recent / old off shore companies, and she continuously gets new customers from good recommendations, she can tell you dozens of negative / shocking stories about unethical incidents at Thai banks.

On a couple of occasions she had personally taken new start up clients to a Thai bank and after 5 minutes of lack of focused service, lots of bullshxx ('it's now Bank of Thailand policy that all new accounts must have an ATM card', which is not true), insistence that customer has to sign blank forms etc., she has quickly grabbed all the forms and ripped them up and taken the client to another bank. She's a very professional and polite lady but she take no bullshxx.

Her advice with cash deposits is to complete the deposit slip yourself and ensure the deposit amount is written in numbers and characters, and read it to the teller when you give the teller the deposit slip and the cash.  

On a personal basis she does the same thing for her own deposits and also tells the teller to keep all the cash on the desk until it's all agreed by both the teller and herself. 

If you do not get it sorted, report the matter to the Bank of Thailand. I would - but then I work for a rating agency.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long ago when I was a tourist ,I went into Bangkok Bank branch and tried to cash United States dollars into Thai baht ;

the teller tried to give me one tenth of what I knew was the right amount;

Mistake?

Professionals that handle money for a living don't make mistakes like that

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

One reason why I keep the minimum here, some Banks cannot be trusted. When buying a house 5 years ago I transferred a lot of money at 50 baht to the pound, they hung onto the transfer for a couple of days before putting it into my account until the rate went down to 49, leaving me 40k lighter. No amount of complaining did any good at all. On a prior occasion they reversed the process giving me the lower rate when they received the money different to the higher rate they day it went into the account. I no longer use that Bank, or swift to do the transfers.

The bank I use which has been named above does similar things to me. I transfer money from overseas here once month, I always receive a figure a couple of points below their advertised rate.  It doesn't add up to a lot of money but if it happens to everyone it amounts to a considerable sum of money 'stolen' by the bank. I have queried the bank about this but never received a reply.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, I check everything carefully. My Thai adult son also, and he's had nasty comments from the bank staff.

One time I was with him, he deposited cash and didn't receive a stamped signed deposit receipt, bank teller girl insisted the bank does not issue such documents. I countered by showing the signed stamped deposit slip I has just received from the next teller just 3 minutes beforehand for a different transaction.

Son insisted on talking to the manager. Several tellers tried to divert my son's request with comments like 'never mind it will be OK next time'. I have the bank HO number for internet banking on speed dial, I called and they quickly transferred me to the appropriate dept., and I told the HO bank guy what was happening, and he tried the same line 'never mind...'  etc.,  I insisted on speaking to a senior person and a lady came on the line, she listened carefully, perfect English and asked me to put the teller on the line.

Teller was told to put son's phone on speaker phone and she was obviously getting an ear full. Then teller was told to bring the manager to the phone and was told to keep the phone where it is so the customer (my Thai son) can hear the conversation.

Manager then sat at the desk and quickly made a copy of the deposit slip and in fear gave it to my son, then told the teller to collect her bag etc., and leave the office. Teller never seen again (at that branch). During all of this my son was using his smartphone to take photos of the staff involved.

I told the HO lady that son had photos, she instantly gave me her personal mobile number and said 'yes please, please send me the photos' and she sent a thank you response to my son.

For the next several months, every time my son or myself went into that branch the tellers quickly called the manager who came and personally sat at the tellers desk and sheepishly did the transaction.

My lawyer and accountant (my ex MBA student) operates a now quite large business consultancy, most of her customers are new / recent / old off shore companies, and she continuously gets new customers from good recommendations, she can tell you dozens of negative / shocking stories about unethical incidents at Thai banks.

On a couple of occasions she had personally taken new start up clients to a Thai bank and after 5 minutes of lack of focused service, lots of bullshxx ('it's now Bank of Thailand policy that all new accounts must have an ATM card', which is not true), insistence that customer has to sign blank forms etc., she has quickly grabbed all the forms and ripped them up and taken the client to another bank. She's a very professional and polite lady but she take no bullshxx.

Her advice with cash deposits is to complete the deposit slip yourself and ensure the deposit amount is written in numbers and characters, and read it to the teller when you give the teller the deposit slip and the cash.  

On a personal basis she does the same thing for her own deposits and also tells the teller to keep all the cash on the desk until it's all agreed by both the teller and herself. 

Never had a problem with the Bangkok Bank in six years

As well as the receipt they always pass the book with the page showing the transaction open

Surprised this guy stayed with this bank if he has experienced that sort of pronlem and response before

8 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

If I deposit money I get a stamped receipt. The indicated sum should always be controlled.

Exactly  that !

Deposits  and  withdrawals  via  Teller  always  have  a signed  or stamped  receipt.

Regardless  of  what  happened  with physical  cash the  Pet Shop   owner  should  surely be  able  to  wave  one  as  proof?

always check n check n check n check.

Keep money in 1 bank account with no internet banking capabilities and no visa no mastercard at all except for ATM withdrawals and another for online banking transactions and deposit only the amount you need when you need to make a transfer. 

Not only kasikorn. My Bangkok Bank got double charged when I bought air tickets, when I called in to the Bank Hotline, they told me it was by the airline. Called the Airline and they told me they did not charge me twice only once.

No sms sent either for the double charge.

Only when I went down to the Bank next day then I was told sometimes it happens.

Bank customer service officer on the phone gave wrong info to me. No sms sent when amount from my bank was charged.

Luckily the Branch Manager and staff were really nice and helpful and made me feel good that I did not close my account with them.

9 hours ago, seajae said:

didnt the man check the amount on the deposit receipt or even watch her count it, you never simply ignore everything when depositing money especially in Thailand.

Yes it's is simple as that...check the deposit receipt and refuse to leave if there is a disagreement over the amount deposited.. 

This teller has used a machine, but before using the machine some bills seperated and left on the desk ( video showed ). After counting only part of the money both go to her drawer. 

This branch must be dirty. Manager could be involve. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The case is further complicated by a claim from the pet shop that there had been a previous mistake made at the bank. On that occasion it had all been settled amicably when 110,000 was brought in to deposit but only 11,000 was credited to the account.

This paragraph is really strange, financial transaction settled amicably?

Saw this news item on Thai tv tonight and my wife was telling me about it as it was being broadcast. The customer held up a copy of his deposit slip to show all the viewers, and it was for THB80,000.

It wasn't clear to me why the bank had decided to only credit the account with THB40,000 when the customer had a deposit slip, apparently stamped by the bank, showing THB80,000. All my wife could tell me was something was not right!

In the news report on tv it showed the CCTV from the bank showing the transaction take place. One pile of cash was put in the counting machine. Another pile was left on the cashier's desk in front of her.

The tv news item said the customer asked the bank cashier why she hadn't counted the pile of money on her desk, and she replied to the customer she could tell how much was in that pile just from looking at it!

On the CCTV you can see the cashier take the pile of money from the counting machine and put it in one drawer. The other she left on the desk in front of her until the customer was leaving at the end of the transaction, and then she appeared to slide or sweep it into her partially opened desk drawer. I don't recall if it went into the same drawer as the cash from the counting machine.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Teller you got fired ,was she scamming or just lazy about giving a receipt ?

Something smells and doesn't add up here?

What are the chances of this happening twice in the same bank?  and first time the difference in money 110,000 vs. 11,000

I thought standard procedure you got to fill out a deposit slip, if that is the case, that should be proof compare it with the deposit made on the book. Whenever I make a deposit, I filled out the slip and it comes in two parts and I get the carbon back with the bank stamp.

One would think if it happen to you once, before you leave the window check to see what the book is marked? Not rocket science even in Thailand?

18 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Something smells and doesn't add up here?

What are the chances of this happening twice in the same bank?  and first time the difference in money 110,000 vs. 11,000

I thought standard procedure you got to fill out a deposit slip, if that is the case, that should be proof compare it with the deposit made on the book. Whenever I make a deposit, I filled out the slip and it comes in two parts and I get the carbon back with the bank stamp.

One would think if it happen to you once, before you leave the window check to see what the book is marked? Not rocket science even in Thailand?

I have 3 banks in Chiang mai .Kasikorn ,Bangkok and SCB .All have changed to a system where you no longer fill out a paying in slip yourself .The teller takes your money and bank book .She /he asks you verbally how much you want to deposit .They count your money by hand or by machine if a large amount . They update your book with the deposit added .They hand you a slip with the amount which you must sign .Later they give you back your book plus the receipt slip .I fail to see how a scam can be done ?

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Surprised to read about Banks in Thailand not following banking rules. I thought things like that only happen in Nigeria.

8 minutes ago, madusa said:

Surprised to read about Banks in Thailand not following banking rules. I thought things like that only happen in Nigeria.

They do .I have never had a problem in 10 years here.

Another BS story only possible in stupid ridiculous Thai news that I feel like to vomit when I read them.

How impossible it is that someone deposits 80000 and does not check the receipt, then the bank account (or sms received after each deposit / withdraw).

A story made by stupid for stupid and that just confirms what I am thinking about most people in this country !

1 hour ago, anto said:

I have 3 banks in Chiang mai .Kasikorn ,Bangkok and SCB .All have changed to a system where you no longer fill out a paying in slip yourself .The teller takes your money and bank book .She /he asks you verbally how much you want to deposit .They count your money by hand or by machine if a large amount . They update your book with the deposit added .They hand you a slip with the amount which you must sign .Later they give you back your book plus the receipt slip .I fail to see how a scam can be done ?

Point taken, but how many people don't check the details before they sign the slip? And how many people don't check the balance in their bank book after the transaction?

My guess is many.

Banking is no different to many industries, services, professions, It's natural that a certain small % of staff will give a scam a try.

During training maybe they look like angels but 'on the job' maybe a few will get drawn into internal discussions about scam opportunities etc. A very simple example shared by my accountant / lawyer MBA student:

- New customer says upfront and in clear language 'I don't want an ATM card with this account'.

- Bank staff deliberately ignore the comment and within seconds put a blank new account application form in front of the new customer (probably with no name or address etc., inserted. But the box indication yes or no to an ATM card has already been ticked (yes) by the bank staff.

- If yes to ATM card is noticed by the new client, and the new client mentions it there are at least the following scenarios: 

- 'But it's now compulsory by Bank of Thailand regulations'.  All bullshxx. And/or

- 'But I can't change it now, only allowed to use one application form per new client' (possibly also highlighting that every application form has a unique number as a way to support 'only one form...'). All Bullshxx.

Note: These guys get a commission for every ATM card they 'sell' and for other items.

-  Aligned point - ask to speak to the bank manager and one likely response is: 'but my staff are just trying to help you and give you good service'.  All bullshxx.  

- Additional point that by student has also experienced, from the bank staff:  'By bank rules I have to ask the new client to sign before the details are written in, and by bank rules I have to wait until the bank is closed late afternoon to write in the new customers name and address, ID card / Passport number details. All bullshxx.

- Another twist experienced by my MBA student / business consultant:  'My bank doesn't have application forms in English because it's against the law in Thailand, so customer has to sign documents that he /she cannot read / understand, but it's no problem!' This is also bullshxx, the aligned laws state clearly that all Thai banks must offer service in Thai, Chinese and English language.  

42 minutes ago, anto said:

They do .I have never had a problem in 10 years here.

I never had a heart attack, that does not mean other people don't have them. Banks are one of the worst problems I have had here over the years, ripped off by them several times. This year krungsri started debiting  a few baht every month. When asked about it they said it was for sending me sms on withdrawals. Good idea but it never worked  so I cancelled it, they still debited the money. Mrs went in to sort it out and they told her I ran up the bank to ask them to start doing it, absolutely not true. Been charged twice for the same service, lied to about not being able to give me a card back out of an ATM, lied to when told branch had no ATM cards left, found out later they had, loads of problems over the years. They look very modern but the staff are Thai!

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

I never had a heart attack, that does not mean other people don't have them. Banks are one of the worst problems I have had here over the years, ripped off by them several times. This year krungsri started debiting  a few baht every month. When asked about it they said it was for sending me sms on withdrawals. Good idea but it never worked  so I cancelled it, they still debited the money. Mrs went in to sort it out and they told her I ran up the bank to ask them to start doing it, absolutely not true. Been charged twice for the same service, lied to about not being able to give me a card back out of an ATM, lied to when told branch had no ATM cards left, found out later they had, loads of problems over the years.

The things you mention seem like miss understandings to me rather than fraud .I have had only helpful experiences and can only speak from my first hand knowledge.

12 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

ease off the bong. 

Why? you get ripped off, and on top of that the price is a LOT higher than in your home country where people serving you earn a decent living....

I'd be pissed off a lot more then this dude!

From Australia, about 4 years ago, I transferred AU$20,000 to my Kasikorn branch. I travelled to Thailand 2 weeks later.

The money was not showing in my account. I went to a large Bangkok branch and asked what was happening.

This branch went to the head branch, they denied any such transaction had taken place. I then submitted the

original Aust banking transfer. The  branch then contacted head branch again. There was a stalemate, I

said to my wife we will go to the police. Suddenly head office changed. Oh, so sorry. I withdrew all my Kasikorn

money, and my wife a/c. We went to Bangkok Bank and I have had no trouble since then. 

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Is this a new scam......don't people check their accounts after deposits are made.....?

Always insist on a counting machine or open, visible manual counting, to check money when large deposits are made......

I mean, does he have a receipt when he left the window?  Looks suspiciously like the bank teller or bank messed up.  Is there any record of a deposit that day?  Never mind what was finally logged in the account, was there  a log of a receipt being printed out or at least generated

Archived