"Jumping jacks" cop says no fines for helmet-less kids because "it will cause hardship to their parents"

rooster59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh "Thainess"  we just don't understand

Just apply the law as the cop thinks fit and I bet all the Thais on social media are saying what a kind cop he is.

So kids don't worry about your helmet just tug that Amulet before you set off and the spirits will protect you.   

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

And the deaths will increase.

If he caused hardship, maybe the parents would helmet-up their dear kids.

I had more respect for the cop who took the rider's cash then returned with a helmet for the kid... better long term outcome!!

Making them do jumping jacks is worse than just ignoring them. It shows he is happy for them to do something that is endangering their safety.

It's hard to get your head around this sort of behaviour. It seems kind of backward. I guess it's a microcosm of Thai society. Someone makes the mistake of getting caught doing something that is technically against the law, a pretend punishment is doled out, the children pretend that they have been punished and are sorry, then go back to doing the same thing. As long as the appearance of something being done has been achieved, who cares what actually happens?

Better your children die horrifically than upset them by enforcing rules and teaching responsibility. 

A nation of irresponsible children being run by a group of irresponsible children.

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Isn't it strange.Ferangs come here , then become Champions of the Poor.Yet back home they couldn't give a rats ass about poor , neither do they bother about any injustice till they get hereemoji86.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

SOOOO True! But to add on to that is the most of the majority 99% are only complaining mouth pieces and never ever do anything in any way about helping out anyone in the tiny teeny slightest way here. I often help where I see warranted and never tell anyone about it. just go on my merry way..  Ace of Pop. Great post! 

6 hours ago, Jessi said:

The mentality of this make the mind spin!!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

It will cause even more hardship when the have an accident and finish up with brain damage OR DEAD.

But you cannot tell the stupid parents that.

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I thought the job of the police is to enforce the law, not make them up.

Ahh! But "This is Thailand", anyone with any authority can make up their own rules.

Have you been in Amphurs, Banks, IOs, Schools etc,etc,etc?

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Unbelievable.....so having your child killed or

crippled for life with a head injury wouldn't 

be a burden on the family....Stupid is a step up!

Enforce the LAWS. Don't make up your own!!

Do you ever really think that that could happen here?

This is simply idiotic... 

FINE them - It will ultimately save lives !!!... 

The shortsightedness of some frequently astonishes me - These people believe they are being clever in their thoughts that they are seeing the bigger picture.... They are just DUMB... If the BiB really, genuinely cared the would educate these kids, FINE them for no helmet and take measures to ensure that these kids (and anyone else on a motorcycle) follow the laws. 

The existing road laws in Thailand are actually very good. It is the shoddy, absentminded, careless and often absent enforcement of the existing laws which leads to the majority of Thailands traffic woes and is a fundamental factor in the high mortality rate on Thailands roads - This is a perfect example of such. 

2 hours ago, tigermoth said:

I think a lot more hardshipo will be suffered when the kid's brains are spread all over the road.

What brains? What they have would have been inherited from their parents. That's why these

kids are given the motorbike keys.

55 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

I had more respect for the cop who took the rider's cash then returned with a helmet for the kid... better long term outcome!!

But the helmet would probably just end up in the motorbikes basket. The hair must not be out of place, though

at that age, this would only apply to the girls.

2 hours ago, jimstar1 said:

Cost Of Helmet  300B

Cost of Funeral Or Hospital Care ?????

Cost of Brain Damage for rest of Life  ????

Can not afford fine but can afford Motor Bike  Priceless :stoner:

One days wage in rural Thailand 300 baht.

The motor bikes are old ones and probably have been in the family for years.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

I may not agree with his thinking but I do understand it. There has to be a better way of punishment than a monetary fine. Perhaps taking the motorcycle off them for a week (increasing weeks for repeat offenders)? And/or many many hours of community work? Perhaps the state could find some way of subsidising cost of helmets to make them affordable to the lower paid citizens? If this could be an answer and they didn't wear them, then a draconian punishment should be expected.

I agree with you. Perhaps the government could order a couple of million helmets and give them away as a populist policy hand out. If it only saved 100 lives in a year it would be worth it.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you. Perhaps the government could order a couple of million helmets and give them away as a populist policy hand out. If it only saved 100 lives in a year it would be worth it.

No......Police must do their job, if kids can fool around on iPhones all day they can certainly afford a helmet.....If they are under age or no license, they walk...

A better idea would have been to take them to a hospital or show them a video of what happens when kids not wearing a helmet have a collision. 

Meanwhile I will continue to be one of the only parents at my children's schools to strap them into child seats. Thai parents (with BMWs and Mercs) obviously have better things to spend their money on.

Stupidity in this country is widespread and disgusting.

Wonderful. Problem is, they will still not wear helmets ... and will be unable to chew sweeties with broken jaws.

Of course, I suppose he could always make up the lack of funds by fining whichever westerners these idiots might hit while illegally riding motorcycles, without helmets.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

No......Police must do their job, if kids can fool around on iPhones all day they can certainly afford a helmet.....If they are under age or no license, they walk...

If they can afford the bike, they can afford the helmet ... and the fines.

"I have only got an old phone and it is about to give out because it's been ringing so much. Everyone wants to admire me and congratulate my policing skills."

""If I fined them it will cause hardship to their mums and dads. And besides they would not have any money for sweeties."

Yes, great policing skills!  This ***t must be a credit to the community.

I expect he'll also take the credit when the mums and dads save a few Baht when they have one less mouth to feed.

This guy needs to be sent to an inactive post, like yesterday!

3 hours ago, tigermoth said:

I think a lot more hardshipo will be suffered when the kid's brains are spread all over the road.

As Blackadder would say, "There wouldn't be enough inside to cover a small water biscuit."

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

And the deaths will increase.

If he caused hardship, maybe the parents would helmet-up their dear kids.

These people "just don't get it".

Absolutely!

The parents should be fined the price of a helmet and made to buy one for their kid / kids. Na, that would make far to much sense so it will never happen!

17 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

"I have only got an old phone and it is about to give out because it's been ringing so much. Everyone wants to admire me and congratulate my policing skills."

""If I fined them it will cause hardship to their mums and dads. And besides they would not have any money for sweeties."

Yes, great policing skills!  This ***t must be a credit to the community.

I expect he'll also take the credit when the mums and dads save a few Baht when they have one less mouth to feed.

This guy needs to be sent to an inactive post, like yesterday!

All the inactive posts are full :post-4641-1156694606:

I believe in the villages a lot of people pay a small amount towards each others funeral costs so when a death occurs it is easier for them to give the dead a good send off.

Why is there not a scheme similar to ensure families children are safe on the roads 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

We tried that at our Thai company. I can't recall the exact figures but probably around 300, good quality helmets were bought and distributed to all of the permanent staff whom ride bikes, even if they had one before or not. Everyday driving to work I still see people in our company uniform screaming along on their bikes with their helmet hung over the handle bars or no where to be seen... There is no accounting for the mind set of many.

1 minute ago, Catkiwi said:

We tried that at our Thai company. I can't recall the exact figures but probably around 300, good quality helmets were bought and distributed to all of the permanent staff whom ride bikes, even if they had one before or not. Everyday driving to work I still see people in our company uniform screaming along on their bikes with their helmet hung over the handle bars or no where to be seen... There is no accounting for the mind set of many.

The only thing that works in LOS is taking money from them......Guaranteed....

Archived