"Jumping jacks" cop says no fines for helmet-less kids because "it will cause hardship to their parents"

rooster59

3 hours ago, buddhalady said:

Moved here in June, 2006 - have been here ever since - I understand the Thai mindset far better than the mindset of the average expat TVF poster.

One of the best comments I have seen in my entire fledgling TV career. Well done buddhalady!! I wouldn't say "the average" though. I think the average are a bunch of quite good blokes and blokesses (antipodean sobriquets) and it is the seemingly over abundance of self opinionated twerps that let loose with their key boards, under various means of substance abuse, that may give a false reading.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, transam said:

No......Police must do their job, if kids can fool around on iPhones all day they can certainly afford a helmet.....If they are under age or no license, they walk...

Parents should do better parenting, but a more pragmatic approach could be better in the short term. A monetary fine only ever impacts those who can least afford it (probably can't afford helmets either) and those who are rich just pay and ignore.

BTW, were those kids in the pics fooling around with iPhones?

In latest figures released almost 350 young students died on motorcycles in just nine provinces in one year.

Nine  province!s!!  Multiply that figure by, I guess 10, which equals 3,500  permanenently maimed or brain damaged children and other permanent injuries.  The cop is a stupid uncaring human.

The parents are uncaring and should bear the fine. Geeze the parents can buy a motor bike for thousands of BAH but cannot spend a few hundred Bah on a basic helmet for their own kids safety. What a joke. The cops an idiot! The system is a joke. The hospital cost to Thailand caring for kids brain damaged must be massive and ongoing for many years.

Give the  children FREE helmets at school when the parents are too cheap to buy them. Those children that are caught not wearing FINE THE PARENTS WITH A BIG FINE. Not the kids.

Parents must be reaponsible for their stupidity. Only in Thailand!

How can a fine cause 'hardship' for the parents? It's the parents who finance their child's motorcycle. By fining the parent that may mean the parent can't afford the credit charges resulting in repossession. Even better.

13 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Parents should do better parenting, but a more pragmatic approach could be better in the short term. A monetary fine only ever impacts those who can least afford it (probably can't afford helmets either) and those who are rich just pay and ignore.

BTW, were those kids in the pics fooling around with iPhones?

The country I come from there is no two tier fine scale related to income, if anyone is naughty they pay the fine and probably are issued points on their license, when those points reach ten they ban you from driving for a period of time. They do not ask if you are on the dole or a on a state pension. 

25 minutes ago, transam said:

The country I come from there is no two tier fine scale related to income, if anyone is naughty they pay the fine and probably are issued points on their license, when those points reach ten they ban you from driving for a period of time. They do not ask if you are on the dole or a on a state pension. 

I know and agree this does not happen in Australia and many other nations, but this is Thailand and I think, a more pragmatic and creative approach is needed. Where educational standards (and parental standards of care and responsibilities) are not good, other ways of dealing with a problem need to be considered.

As an aside, there is a European (?) country that fines are levied according to income. Something I saw on television a short while ago.

6 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I know and agree this does not happen in Australia and many other nations, but this is Thailand and I think, a more pragmatic and creative approach is needed. Where educational standards (and parental standards of care and responsibilities) are not good, other ways of dealing with a problem need to be considered.

As an aside, there is a European (?) country that fines are levied according to income. Something I saw on television a short while ago.

When I was a kid in the UK I got nicked for riding underage, mum and me were put in front of a Judge, I/she was fined and I had to attend a detention centre every other Saturday for 3 months...My mum was divorced so a one parent family...When I got my license at 16 it had an endorsement stamped in it, get 3 and you get banned from riding, I got banned at 17, nicked twice for speeding..:sad:....Oh, I did get put in front of a Judge for excessive noise but he listened to my excuse and fined me 2 quid...:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

When I was a kid in the UK I got nicked for riding underage, mum and me were put in front of a Judge, I/she was fined and I had to attend a detention centre every other Saturday for 3 months...My mum was divorced so a one parent family...When I got my license at 16 it had an endorsement stamped in it, get 3 and you get banned from riding, I got banned at 17, nicked twice for speeding..:sad:....Oh, I did get put in front of a Judge for excessive noise but he listened to my excuse and fined me 2 quid...:thumbsup:

You bad boy you!  :smile:

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

You bad boy you!  :smile:

Well yes I was, on two or four wheels until my mid 50's....:whistling:......But think my point has been kids don't give a stuff, same as me way back then, but if l/we were caught you went to court, no if's or but's...

When I was at school l used to go to an engineering workshop after school and Saturday mornings to operate a lathe, that enabled me to buy my first Lambretta at 15. I rode that to school, underage with no license..There was a click of us doing the same thing, we didn't give a stuff..Never parked up in the school though, round the corner....:stoner:.....Oh, and no crash hats, they were not legally required back then..

On 2017-6-24 at 5:02 AM, Jessi said:

The mentality of this make the mind spin!!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

It will cause even more hardship when the have an accident and finish up with brain damage OR DEAD.

I was thinking the exact same thing... It boggles my mind that this kind of "logic" is so rampant in LoS. Same seeing young women on bikes NOT wearing helmets; but a dust mask... for sure that'll help during a crash.

6 hours ago, sinbin said:

How can a fine cause 'hardship' for the parents? It's the parents who finance their child's motorcycle. By fining the parent that may mean the parent can't afford the credit charges resulting in repossession. Even better.

Perhaps that may be so in the cities where parents earn more money but out in rural Thailand it simply doesn't happen like that. If, and that is a big if, a new motorbike is bought bt the family then the older bike will be passed down to the kids.

It seems to me that you are a city dweller with little knowedge of rural Thailand.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps that may be so in the cities where parents earn more money but out in rural Thailand it simply doesn't happen like that. If, and that is a big if, a new motorbike is bought bt the family then the older bike will be passed down to the kids.

It seems to me that you are a city dweller with little knowedge of rural Thailand.

Wrong. I live about 28km to the nearest town. We have no public transport. Lived here coming 12 years. People out here live on credit. Woman up the road just bought a new car on 8 years of credit. <deleted>. Not a problem if items get repossessed. Just go to another dealer.

My next-door neighbours house. Their daughter was bought a brand new M/C to travel 200-300m to school. Typical Thai in getting their priorities wrong.

006.JPG

On 2017-6-24 at 10:33 AM, lvr181 said:

I may not agree with his thinking but I do understand it. There has to be a better way of punishment than a monetary fine. Perhaps taking the motorcycle off them for a week (increasing weeks for repeat offenders)? And/or many many hours of community work? Perhaps the state could find some way of subsidising cost of helmets to make them affordable to the lower paid citizens? If this could be an answer and they didn't wear them, then a draconian punishment should be expected.

I like the idea of taking them off the road.  As for the price of helmets they must have had the money for the bike. Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike.

44 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I like the idea of taking them off the road.  As for the price of helmets they must have had the money for the bike. Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike.

"Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike." I like that idea, it would be a start. Then there would be no reason not to have been wearing a helmet.

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

Wrong. I live about 28km to the nearest town. We have no public transport. Lived here coming 12 years. People out here live on credit. Woman up the road just bought a new car on 8 years of credit. <deleted>. Not a problem if items get repossessed. Just go to another dealer.

My next-door neighbours house. Their daughter was bought a brand new M/C to travel 200-300m to school. Typical Thai in getting their priorities wrong.

006.JPG

I apologise that I got where you lived incorrectly.

Our nearest public transport is 6km up the road to the big village.

In the mornings I see some young kids walking to the local school in the village, some on bicycles and many in the pickup school buses that are privately owned. This is only the junior school for P1 to P6. After that the nearest high school is 6km away in the big village and to get there the kids some on bicycles and many in the pickup school buses that are privately owned and a lot on motorbikes though none are new. Some of the kids wear helmets and the last time I counted it was about 47% that did.

3 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

My wife and kids have a very good set of priorities and never question mine.

Mine do. I teach my kids to query things that I do. I then explain why I do things differently to Thais. On explaining my logic they usually see that my logic being the better option. If you like your kids to not question you, and stay ignorant, then that's fine. Each to his own. The normal way in Thailand is never to ask questions ie at school, or the doctors as examples. I don't like that and I don't expect my kids to accept everything the teacher, or doctor, tells them as being true. 

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

Mine do. I teach my kids to query things that I do. I then explain why I do things differently to Thais. On explaining my logic they usually see that my logic being the better option. If you like your kids to not question you, and stay ignorant, then that's fine. Each to his own. The normal way in Thailand is never to ask questions ie at school, or the doctors as examples. I don't like that and I don't expect my kids to accept everything the teacher, or doctor, tells them as being true. 

Yawn. Jeez a never ending procession of know it all clowns posting in these forums. I don't need parenting advice from you or anyone else and I'll thank you to not call my kids ignorant. My point was that you shouldn't typify Thais or any other nationality, as you have no idea what all of their priorities are.

Archived