BANGKOK 22 April 2019 11:52

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

"Jumping jacks" cop says no fines for helmet-less kids because "it will cause hardship to their parents"

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps that may be so in the cities where parents earn more money but out in rural Thailand it simply doesn't happen like that. If, and that is a big if, a new motorbike is bought bt the family then the older bike will be passed down to the kids.

It seems to me that you are a city dweller with little knowedge of rural Thailand.

Wrong. I live about 28km to the nearest town. We have no public transport. Lived here coming 12 years. People out here live on credit. Woman up the road just bought a new car on 8 years of credit. <deleted>. Not a problem if items get repossessed. Just go to another dealer.

My next-door neighbours house. Their daughter was bought a brand new M/C to travel 200-300m to school. Typical Thai in getting their priorities wrong.

006.JPG

On 2017-6-24 at 10:33 AM, lvr181 said:

I may not agree with his thinking but I do understand it. There has to be a better way of punishment than a monetary fine. Perhaps taking the motorcycle off them for a week (increasing weeks for repeat offenders)? And/or many many hours of community work? Perhaps the state could find some way of subsidising cost of helmets to make them affordable to the lower paid citizens? If this could be an answer and they didn't wear them, then a draconian punishment should be expected.

I like the idea of taking them off the road.  As for the price of helmets they must have had the money for the bike. Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike.

44 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I like the idea of taking them off the road.  As for the price of helmets they must have had the money for the bike. Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike.

"Perhaps include a helmet with a new bike." I like that idea, it would be a start. Then there would be no reason not to have been wearing a helmet.

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

Wrong. I live about 28km to the nearest town. We have no public transport. Lived here coming 12 years. People out here live on credit. Woman up the road just bought a new car on 8 years of credit. <deleted>. Not a problem if items get repossessed. Just go to another dealer.

My next-door neighbours house. Their daughter was bought a brand new M/C to travel 200-300m to school. Typical Thai in getting their priorities wrong.

006.JPG

I apologise that I got where you lived incorrectly.

Our nearest public transport is 6km up the road to the big village.

In the mornings I see some young kids walking to the local school in the village, some on bicycles and many in the pickup school buses that are privately owned. This is only the junior school for P1 to P6. After that the nearest high school is 6km away in the big village and to get there the kids some on bicycles and many in the pickup school buses that are privately owned and a lot on motorbikes though none are new. Some of the kids wear helmets and the last time I counted it was about 47% that did.

3 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

My wife and kids have a very good set of priorities and never question mine.

Mine do. I teach my kids to query things that I do. I then explain why I do things differently to Thais. On explaining my logic they usually see that my logic being the better option. If you like your kids to not question you, and stay ignorant, then that's fine. Each to his own. The normal way in Thailand is never to ask questions ie at school, or the doctors as examples. I don't like that and I don't expect my kids to accept everything the teacher, or doctor, tells them as being true. 

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

Mine do. I teach my kids to query things that I do. I then explain why I do things differently to Thais. On explaining my logic they usually see that my logic being the better option. If you like your kids to not question you, and stay ignorant, then that's fine. Each to his own. The normal way in Thailand is never to ask questions ie at school, or the doctors as examples. I don't like that and I don't expect my kids to accept everything the teacher, or doctor, tells them as being true. 

Yawn. Jeez a never ending procession of know it all clowns posting in these forums. I don't need parenting advice from you or anyone else and I'll thank you to not call my kids ignorant. My point was that you shouldn't typify Thais or any other nationality, as you have no idea what all of their priorities are.

Priceless Plot Twist: Said cop will soon have a deadly accident with any of the boys/kids he had do roadside workout instead of getting safety prioritized.

An off topic post and the replies have been removed. 

Inflammatory and offensive posts and replies have been removed.