Patong - The Wake

Patong2

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, I lost about 3,000 posts in that forum rejig way back then.

Some stopped posting altogether, others slowed their contributions significantly.

Yes, I lost about the same number of posts and it was unfair IMHO because posts are posts, but life goes on Croc :wai:

5 hours ago, billythehat said:

On the subject of the Chinese, I wondered what they thought/said about their own experiences whilst on a first holiday outside of rural China…maybe a postcard…

Maybe you should learn a little about foreign tourists, their expenditures, length of stay and numbers to Thailand ?

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

So childish and generalizing to point a finger to a certain country.

I could name a few other tourist groups from countries, like Australia, UK, Netherlands, Middle East to name a few who behave like animals when on holiday but that doesn't mean that ALL tourists from these countries behave like animals, do they?

NO, they don't, its' always the bad and ugly who stand out and attract the attention.

I've watched dozens of Ozzies, both adult men and women in Kuta Bali in a club, all totally beserk, drunk, shouting, screaming and absolutely disgusting; the same with British, Dutch and Scandinavian youngsters, holidaying in Greece, Spain, Italy..absolutely disgusting.

That doesn't mean that the far majority of tourists from ALL of said countries don't behave decent...they do, very much so.

And, I've never seen Asian/Asean or Chinese groups, totally drunk and out of their minds, did you? 

I didn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaoPo said:

And, I've never seen Asian/Asean or Chinese groups, totally drunk and out of their minds, did you? 

Yes I have, to the point of throwing up.

But I've NEVER seen any nationality snotting in shopping centres, crapping on the pavement next to a restaurant or cutting their toenails on tables in a café. Unruly behaviour I can just about put up with, but filthy and disgusting behaviour such as displayed by the Chinese here; no way.

And the post by billythehat, although humorous, contains many truths...........

You should get out more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

But I've NEVER seen any nationality snotting in shopping centres, crapping on the pavement next to a restaurant or cutting their toenails on tables in a café. Unruly behaviour I can just about put up with, but filthy and disgusting behaviour such as displayed by the Chinese here; no way.

I haven't , and I have been traveling to Patong Beach, Asia & China for business and leisure since 1979.

Maybe you have a special "Chinese" eye which I haven't and you have no eye for other Farang nationalities behaving badly :laugh:

I have watched Ozzies, both men and women throwing up, behaving drunk and ugly to the lowest of them all but to be honest: I've seen other nationalities also, but no Chinese.

Maybe you should move since they're more than doubling the number in the coming years :laugh:

If you can't beat them..join them :wink:

Good luck :thumbsup:

PS: But, to be honest, of course there are a lot of bad apples in every tourist-nation and I'm sure you have bad behaving farang apples in Bangla road every evening also.

And of course (mainland) Chinese bad apples will stand out because of the huge numbers (close to 9 million in 2016 to Thailand).

But one has to be understanding that Chinese in general are only traveling abroad since recent years and were not "spoiled" the same as we were, used to travel abroad since our youth.

Many of them still have to learn a lot but again, the far majority is behaving correctly, and that counts for all nationalities.

Q: how many times have you visited China and when? 

THAILAND TouristArrivals(2016).gif

Edited by LaoPo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, LaoPo said:

I haven't , and I have been traveling to Patong Beach, Asia & China for business and leisure since 1979.

Maybe you have a special "Chinese" eye which I haven't and you have no eye for other Farang nationalities behaving badly :laugh:

I have watched Ozzies, both men and women throwing up, behaving drunk and ugly to the lowest of them all but to be honest: I've seen other nationalities also, but no Chinese.

Maybe you should move since they're more than doubling the number in the coming years :laugh:

If you can't beat them..join them :wink:

Good luck :thumbsup:

PS: But, to be honest, of course there are a lot of bad apples in every tourist-nation and I'm sure you have bad behaving farang apples in Bangla road every evening also.

And of course (mainland) Chinese bad apples will stand out because of the huge numbers (close to 9 million in 2016 to Thailand).

But one has to be understanding that Chinese in general are only traveling abroad since recent years and were not "spoiled" the same as we were, used to travel abroad since our youth.

Many of them still have to learn a lot but again, the far majority is behaving correctly, and that counts for all nationalities.

Q: how many times have you visited China and when? 

THAILAND TouristArrivals(2016).gif

These chinese seem very communicative and vocal its to bad that this generation seems only to do express themselves  in their own Chinese language.

They do have sone balls sometimes they start long conversations without a care in the world for the 12 clients waiting behind them with the 7/11 cashier were both sides do not master any English. Always amusing ? Soom na na for both!!

17 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

These chinese seem very communicative and vocal its to bad that this generation seems only to do express themselves  in their own Chinese language.

They do have sone balls sometimes they start long conversations without a care in the world for the 12 clients waiting behind them with the 7/11 cashier were both sides do not master any English. Always amusing ? Soom na na for both!!

Speaking English for most Chinese is not common or even necessary since they live in a 100% Chinese environment, have no access to foreign English Television channels or websites and they communicate in either their own dialect, Mandarin or Cantonese next to dozens of other Chinese dialects.

It's a pity that many Chinese youngsters still don't study English but how many of westerners study Mandarin..?

Although I speak, write and read a number of foreign languages I also never managed to study Mandarin; it's simply too complicated.

56 minutes ago, LaoPo said:

Well if I have got "a Chinese eye" you are quite possibly blind to their filthy habits.......not that the customers and manager at Starbucks was just recently, when one was clipping his toenails and dry feet skin on the table.

If you were to read other posts on TV you would see MANY similar posts regarding their habits and posters who lived there say likewise. 

My girlfriend in NZ was physically sick when she had to clean the toilet of an apt she rented to two young Chinese students........excrement up the walls, on the floor and urine soaked carpets etc etc. The kitchen wasn't quite as bad.

Anyway enough of this about these disgusting habits as I am sure the mods will stop this soon.

As I recall you were commenting on my post about things in general in Patong, and felt the need to post a patronizing response about it, offering me advice on how to live my and life/spend my time!!

I shall continue to post that which I observe and if you want to spend your time posting patronizing responses....then up to you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billythehat said:

On the drainage item, I can comment that with the main carrier sewer drainage pipelines, whilst appearing to be of sufficient diameter, have been laid with woefully inadequate gradient to discharge the flow from all the lateral drains connected into them. Drainage gradients are specified to allow a flow that is not too fast, not too slow, and to allow an optimum flow speed which performs a self-cleansing function. Silting up will always be a problem where the network is seriously flawed, not by design but by poor supervision and construction. It is what it is I suppose…

Thanks for that explanation 'bth'.........and don't hold much hope out for the future performance of these newly laid drains!!

Seem to recall other drainage systems in the new middle road be re-laid several times and still the BIB house gets wet!

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well if I have got "a Chinese eye" you are quite possibly blind to their filthy habits.......not that the customers and manager at Starbucks was just recently, when one was clipping his toenails and dry feet skin on the table.

If you were to read other posts on TV you would see MANY similar posts regarding their habits and posters who lived there say likewise. 

My girlfriend in NZ was physically sick when she had to clean the toilet of an apt she rented to two young Chinese students........excrement up the walls, on the floor and urine soaked carpets etc etc. The kitchen wasn't quite as bad.

Anyway enough of this about these disgusting habits as I am sure the mods will stop this soon.

As I recall you were commenting on my post about things in general in Patong, and felt the need to post a patronizing response about it, offering me advice on how to live my and life/spend my time!!

I shall continue to post that which I observe and if you want to spend your time posting patronizing responses....then up to you!

I feel sorry for the bad experiences you witnessed and/or experienced; very bad examples indeed but that doesn't mean all almost 9 million Chinese tourists behaved badly, did they?

Would you like that I wrote badly about your own countrymen if I saw some of them behaving badly and suggesting ALL (NZ?) were that bad?

No patronizing from my side and not intended that way, just suggestions,  and I suggest we both live our lives the way we do, you in "your" Patong and in my lovely environment in Thailand with lots of very good behaving and polite Chinese and wish you lots of happiness without bad experiences.

You certainly had more bad luck with foreign tourists than I did and I'm coming to Asia and knowing Chinese for more than 38 years.

Bad luck for you I suppose or bad living environment perhaps ?

Have a nice day :wai: 

and Khob Khun Krab :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, LaoPo said:

Speaking English for most Chinese is not common or even necessary since they live in a 100% Chinese environment, have no access to foreign English Television channels or websites and they communicate in either their own dialect, Mandarin or Cantonese next to dozens of other Chinese dialects.

It's a pity that many Chinese youngsters still don't study English but how many of westerners study Mandarin..?

Although I speak, write and read a number of foreign languages I also never managed to study Mandarin; it's simply too complicated.

But in 20 years time they will and it be interesting talking with the Chinese better then just observing them..

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

But in 20 years time they will and it be interesting talking with the Chinese better then just observing them..

I hope so although I think it will take more time; there are simply, like in Thailand, not enough English (both Chinese or foreign) teachers to teach many hundreds of millions of young students.

It's a very complicated society with many different ethnic groups and customs and there's no country in the world with the same huge population and one can't compare "Chinese" with any other nationality.

What I DID witness since 1979 is the hautain behaviour by some westerners who always know better than the Asian people, whether Chinese, Thai, Indonesian or else.

They forget that Asia is quickly becoming the strongest "force" in the world (more than 65% of the world population) and they won't accept such behaviour anymore.

4 hours ago, LaoPo said:

Maybe you should learn a little about foreign tourists, their expenditures, length of stay and numbers to Thailand ?

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

So childish and generalizing to point a finger to a certain country.

I could name a few other tourist groups from countries, like Australia, UK, Netherlands, Middle East to name a few who behave like animals when on holiday but that doesn't mean that ALL tourists from these countries behave like animals, do they?

NO, they don't, its' always the bad and ugly who stand out and attract the attention.

I've watched dozens of Ozzies, both adult men and women in Kuta Bali in a club, all totally beserk, drunk, shouting, screaming and absolutely disgusting; the same with British, Dutch and Scandinavian youngsters, holidaying in Greece, Spain, Italy..absolutely disgusting.

That doesn't mean that the far majority of tourists from ALL of said countries don't behave decent...they do, very much so.

I didn't.

Ha ha ha, cranky old social justice warrior with humour bypass surgery…excellent material for another postcard! :laugh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaoPo said:

I feel sorry for the bad experiences you witnessed and/or experienced; very bad examples indeed but that doesn't mean all almost 9 million Chinese tourists behaved badly, did they?

Would you like that I wrote badly about your own countrymen if I saw some of them behaving badly and suggesting ALL (NZ?) were that bad?

No patronizing from my side and not intended that way, just suggestions,  and I suggest we both live our lives the way we do, you in "your" Patong and in my lovely environment in Thailand with lots of very good behaving and polite Chinese and wish you lots of happiness without bad experiences.

You certainly had more bad luck with foreign tourists than I did and I'm coming to Asia and knowing Chinese for more than 38 years.

Bad luck for you I suppose or bad living environment perhaps ?

Have a nice day :wai: 

and Khob Khun Krab :thumbsup:

I am so happy that you like your environment and all of its lovely Chinese and perhaps you deserve one another.

As Karen Bravo has pointed out, it's not just a few of the Chinese who are rude, dirty and sometimes disgusting, because of all of the hotel owners, guesthouse owners and workers, shop and bar owners and all of their staff, including the staff in Big C, restaurants and other retailers here, I don't know one who likes these people, and these folks would number in the many hundreds (along with motorbike taxi drivers who hate them with a vengeance because they block the roads and have absolutely no road sense, thereby endangering others).

I don't know of any bad living environments (with perhaps the exception of Lagos) as you stated, because I have always found something of interest, pleasure and/or beauty in everywhere I've been, from Auckland to Amsterdam, Rarotonga to Rochelle, Sydney to St Petersburg, Sussex to the Sahara and Paris to Patong, and that's the beauty of being balanced and, "getting out more" which is what I've always done.

Now that you seem to be spending more time on your computer, you may wish to peruse a few other posts and see what other folks have to say about your preferred race – – but be prepared as you might get a shock, because those rose tinted glasses may not shield you from reality.

Have a really lovely, beautiful and scenic day, and if not today then tomorrow and forever henceforth. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

LaoPo is an excellent photographer and some of the threads he has started in the Photography sub-forum are well worth looking at. He's treated there as a bit of a guru due to his knowledge.

Trouble is, is that this ain't the photography sub-forum..........

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Kan Win. another poster with a Chinese sounding name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

In 20 years time China will be the super power and english speaking people will need to learn Chinese if they want to do business with them

Just sour grapes from some posters who think they are better than the chinese but come from failing economies unlike the Chinese economy that is improving every year

Every country in the world including the major ones like the USA are doing their best to attract Chinese tourist with longer and easier to get visas etc  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

In 20 years time China will be the super power and english speaking people will need to learn Chinese if they want to do business with them

Just sour grapes from some posters who think they are better than the chinese but come from failing economies unlike the Chinese economy that is improving every year

Every country in the world including the major ones like the USA are doing their best to attract Chinese tourist with longer and easier to get visas etc  

Yes but now u make like they are some rolemodel which they are clearly not.

and if the Chinese  want to travel then they must learn English!

by the way u know nothing about who will be a super power in 20 years. They can be nuked by trump his son in 19 years for all i know

Edited by Destiny1990

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, but, there's a difference.

The British, Dutch and Scandinavian youngsters know that they are misbehaving (when you're young, that's why it's done).

With the Chinese, their shouting, spitting, slurping, shoving etc. is all part of their cultural heritage. For them, they are doing nothing wrong. They are just acting normally, as they would at home.

Because of this difference, only a few Western youth behave badly. As for the Chinese, generally, the ones we see, all behave that way. 

That's correct .... ""the ones we see..""...

You just see what you see but you don't see the other 8.9 million of them, behaving correctly and it's a bit weird that I NEVER see bad behaving Chinese; I saw tonight at least 3 or 4 dozen of them; all quiet, enjoying themselves and behaving nicely.

Not a single shouter, throwing up, slurping..nothing :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

"In 20 years time China will be the super power" - they are heading in that direction, but I'm thinking they will not be allowed to succeed.  Have you seen a map of all the US Military Bases????  A lot of them surround China.  A war would be one way to curtail their ambitions.

"unlike the Chinese economy that is improving every year" - as it should, with all that cheap slave communist labor and the theft of western intellectual property and copy rights. 

• Haha 1

Just on the general behavior of the Chinese.  I can handle the spitting, shouting etc etc.  However, and I do believe this is a cultural thing, the Chinese DO NOT queue.  They will walk straight up to the counter, with total disregard for those who are waiting in an orderly fashion.

If I am next in the queue, after they have cut in front of me, I do enjoy the shocked look on their face when I cut back in front of them, at the service counter, quite assertively.    :smile:

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, phuketrichard said:

moved down from Pattaya in 85, it was paradise  (which was a nice place to eat and drink  :-) ) thru the 80's

Over here in Kamala and having traveled extensively  in SE asia, it still is

Just spent 2 weeks in Bali, Phuket wins hands down!!

"Just spent 2 weeks in Bali, Phuket wins hands down!!" - was that from the point of view of an expat, or a tourist?

I wonder if a tourist would have the same opinion.

On 18-11-2017 at 10:00 AM, phuketrichard said:

moved down from Pattaya in 85, it was paradise  (which was a nice place to eat and drink  :-) ) thru the 80's

Over here in Kamala and having traveled extensively  in SE asia, it still is

Just spent 2 weeks in Bali, Phuket wins hands down!!

I wonder if you compare the ISLANDS of Phuket and Bali ? :sad:

Surely, Bali is 100 times (OK, OK...would you believe 10 times ? :laugh:) more beautiful qua landscape, mountains, rice paddies and stunning interior versus Phuket, knowing both island pretty well?

Or are you comparing filthy parts of Bali, like Kuta to certain parts of Phuket, like Patong or other busy beaches?

Kuta is horrible but so is Patong nowadays; just IMHO

40 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

If I am next in the queue, after they have cut in front of me, I do enjoy the shocked look on their face when I cut back in front of them, at the service counter, quite assertively.    :smile:

I'm sure they're very afraid of you, big farang man :laugh: good for you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LaoPo said:

See KarenBravo, or is/was it Sir Burr?

You really have to pay attention next time  :laugh:

No, you see it's actually worse.

I thought you were a patronizing person that had a talent.

Turns out that really, you're just a talent-less patronizer.

As for the "8.9 million Chinese" that I don't see, I presume you claim to see them...........all.

Yes, there are well behaved Chinese here, mainly young, independent travelers, though, the vast majority on the tours consist of the badly behaved Chinese that we are talking about.

10 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"In 20 years time China will be the super power" - they are heading in that direction, but I'm thinking they will not be allowed to succeed.  Have you seen a map of all the US Military Bases????  A lot of them surround China.  A war would be one way to curtail their ambitions.

"unlike the Chinese economy that is improving every year" - as it should, with all that cheap slave communist labor and the theft of western intellectual property and copy rights. 

What a load of rubbish, China's military is much larger than the US, China has nuclear weapons and the US only use nuclear weapons on countries that cannot retaliate  (use them back)

Chinese and asian workers are happy getting a fair days wage for a fair days work that's why all manufacturing has shifted to their countries from the former powerful western countries which are slowly going bankrupt

You are really showing your lack of common knowledge again NKM, you need to keep up with whats really happening in the world today, China and Asia is the future for the manufacturing economy

Give in a few more years and some people who come to Thailand now will be back in their home countries catering to Thai and Chinese tourists and hoping to make a living from the money they make doing it and these Thai, Chinese and Asian people will be paying western prices for taxis without continuously whinging about them as poor people do 

By they way plenty of excellent products are coming from China now that were designed as well as manufactured there, they are stealing nothing as you like to claim, fake items still come from China and they are made for western customers mainly who keep this business going 

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

What a load of rubbish, China's military is much larger than the US, China has nuclear weapons and the US only use nuclear weapons on countries that cannot retaliate  (use them back)

Chinese and asian workers are happy getting a fair days wage for a fair days work that's why all manufacturing has shifted to their countries from the former powerful western countries which are slowly going bankrupt

You are really showing your lack of common knowledge again NKM, you need to keep up with whats really happening in the world today, China and Asia is the future for the manufacturing economy

Give in a few more years and some people who come to Thailand now will be back in their home countries catering to Thai and Chinese tourists and hoping to make a living from the money they make doing it and these Thai, Chinese and Asian people will be paying western prices for taxis without continuously whinging about them as poor people do 

By they way plenty of excellent products are coming from China now that were designed as well as manufactured there, they are stealing nothing as you like to claim, fake items still come from China and they are made for western customers mainly who keep this business going 

In 20 years no one need manufacturing in Asia. It all will be done by 3D printing and automatism back in the engineer countries the states and europe. 

Then you will see what millions of hungry day laborer will do.

Like the arabians came out from the desert and there they will go back again. Same with the chinese and their history.

11 hours ago, LaoPo said:

I wonder if you compare the ISLANDS of Phuket and Bali ? :sad:

Surely, Bali is 100 times (OK, OK...would you believe 10 times ? :laugh:) more beautiful qua landscape, mountains, rice paddies and stunning interior versus Phuket, knowing both island pretty well?

Or are you comparing filthy parts of Bali, like Kuta to certain parts of Phuket, like Patong or other busy beaches?

Kuta is horrible but so is Patong nowadays; just IMHO

i motorcycled the whole island ( did over 750kms) up the west coast,around the top, down to mt Batur, over to the east coast and back to Kuta.

Yes its lovely BUT the roads are small, the traffic is terrible on the whole island,(  except some small dirt roads i was on)

Its more expensive than phuket ( even for a small meal like fried rice) in Ubud, Kuta ur hassled alot

Ubud, lovina, Amed, Kuta all very crowded and i was there in the LOw LOw season ( many canceled cause Mt Agung was going to blow)
i couldn't even imagine how crowded it is in the high season.

In 2002 when i was last there i loved it,  Now...wont ever go back