Patong - The Wake

Patong2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

It was definitely supposed to be a seafood restaurant as there was actually a sign at one point stating such but the Kan Eang story doesn't sound right. That land is worth a lot more than that; it is huge.

The Kan Eang connection is correct. Kan Eang 2 was about 5 or so Rai. But don't think a good land paper like Chanote.  So 60 mill in the ball park if no Chanote paper. Similar size land bought off Patak road. Building costs 10 million I estimate. Nothing fancy. Basic Thai build shell.

Sorry mods and Phuket members. Off the Patong topic.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This seems an appropriate title - the Wake as in the death of Patong, indeed Phuket, is upon us. There really seems to be no glimmer of life as we know it for a long time.  Those optimists talking about October 2020 tourists will be back are now singing a new tune. Maybe 2021 now.

There just is no trade for the road side vendors, even the 7-11s are losing money, indeed some smaller ones shuttered up. It's just dismal. 

It's just the speed this happened is just breath taking. I wonder will many 'party' tourists ever come back. We suddenly had no rental income.  Those that got stuck here with no flights have no income. We waived rent and just hope they can pay the big electric AC bills they run up being in house all day.

The Wake is for sure upon us RIP   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

This seems an appropriate title - the Wake as in the death of Patong, indeed Phuket, is upon us. There really seems to be no glimmer of life as we know it for a long time.  Those optimists talking about October 2020 tourists will be back are now singing a new tune. Maybe 2021 now.

There just is no trade for the road side vendors, even the 7-11s are losing money, indeed some smaller ones shuttered up. It's just dismal. 

It's just the speed this happened is just breath taking. I wonder will many 'party' tourists ever come back. We suddenly had no rental income.  Those that got stuck here with no flights have no income. We waived rent and just hope they can pay the big electric AC bills they run up being in house all day.

The Wake is for sure upon us RIP   

Not going to recover for years.

Who the hell is going to come here?

Nobody.

Most will be lucky to have a holiday in their own country let alone half way across the world.

Edited by Malawi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

it is always darkest just before dawn.

There is allot of pentup demand for holidays around the world.

The thai gov has taken an extremist approach to the lockdown, but they know they need to significantly loosen travel restrictions soon.

Thai resident travellers and Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans, and ANZ will be the first permitted back to Phuket in the next month or so. Followed soon by many European countries who seem to have the kungflu under “control”.

May be a little while longer until they permit large gatherings/groups at clubs, sports, cinema.

I suspect that fall 2020 should look fairly similar to fall 2019 in Phuket.

The “good times” will definitely come back.

I'm with you about most points but we need to wait for high season.

As i said in march when the big boys with the deep pockets got what they want and the change of power here on hkt is arranged then they will open it and we are back in business in some month.

Why should only the europeans start to travel alone in juli?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:35 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

it is always darkest just before dawn.

There is allot of pentup demand for holidays around the world.

The thai gov has taken an extremist approach to the lockdown, but they know they need to significantly loosen travel restrictions soon.

Thai resident travellers and Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans, and ANZ will be the first permitted back to Phuket in the next month or so. Followed soon by many European countries who seem to have the kungflu under “control”.

May be a little while longer until they permit large gatherings/groups at clubs, sports, cinema.

I suspect that fall 2020 should look fairly similar to fall 2019 in Phuket.

The “good times” will definitely come back.

Few things on the planet will be the same again.

The microcosm that is Patong will evolve to something else before it can ever revert to what it used to be.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2020 at 9:05 AM, xylophone said:

Many have shut down and don't have the money to start again, so will stay permanently shut.

Some areas here looking like ghettos, and a collapse of business like this is extremely difficult to "restart".

Isn't that what we see already the last years and now with a booster?

Sad but this slogan reflects it good. Why do we need many different small optic shops when we only can have topcharoen shops?

I guess on the beach road we can see the future. Erase 50 small businesses and build 1 for the big boys.

The good times are long gone at the end of the 90' but it's not all bad what's going on in the background. We will see the facts in the high season.

Edited by schlog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I disagree. Patong won't "evolve". Businesses will just stay closed until tourists come back. Thai businesses are <deleted> at new ideas, they only know how to copy. Chuck in the fact that land-lords are now demanding unjustifiable rents, more businesses will close even well after the restrictions are lifted. There are fewer mugs coming that 1) want to live here full-time and 2) will put there money into a business. 

What will happen is that the slow decline that has been going on for years, will just continue. Covid-19 just temporarily sped up the process.

What is happening in Patong is happening all over the island. Take a look at all the shuttered shop-houses in Phuket Town. They were there before the virus and are only increasing and will continue to increase. This is a direct result of the Thai Baht going to a few select businesses that have Chinese connections and most money sent straight back to China.

There are no entry level, profitable businesses that can be copied anymore.

The cherry on top is the short-sighted and corrupt local government who would rather have 1 baht today than three tomorrow.

In Chalong, most of the business parks are almost empty of businesses now. Fisherman's Way, Fisherman's Way 2 and Draecena (opposite Villa) are either empty, or, close to it. For rent signs are every where with no takers.

For most Westerners, Thailand and Phuket in particular is "so 1990's". Fashions come and go. Phuket rode the wave and the wave has continued on, leaving Phuket behind the crest.

So you agree with me that it wont revert to what it was. 

Evolution just means change by adapting to changing conditions and circumstances. It does not necessarily mean improvement.

So you tend to agree with my thoughts there as well?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Another thing I've noticed is that whereas a month or so ago small businesses had closed down and removed the stock that was on show, now those small businesses have also removed all of the fixtures and fittings in the place, suggesting to me that it was closed for good, at least for that particular business.

@Patong2 I noticed that the fixtures and fittings have now been removed from "Backside Bistro" which you have mentioned before in your posts as a restaurant that you liked!!!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

I hear from next week you can drink in restaurants, and from what I remember in Ao Nang when I was there around 20 March, when all the bars were closed but restaurants could still serve alcohol, all restaurants will turn into bars, with people sit and just drink and don't eat anything...!

Of course that would be without bar girls and barfines and so on, if those are desired, but maybe that is what the morality crowd are after...! ? ????

Although I never drink alcohol with my food, and don't go to bars much, but I  finally managed to go for a swim and catch some nice surf, so I say things are looking up, let's see what brings with the airport opening next week... 

Who it brings is the thing! No prizes there and they don,t need bars!

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

@Patong2 I noticed that the fixtures and fittings have now been removed from "Backside Bistro" which you have mentioned before in your posts as a restaurant that you liked!!!

That's sad to hear

Backside Bistro had good food at a reasonable price and a bright happy young waitress and had a good view of all the passing traffic in Nanai Rd and an easy walk from our apartment. Ticked all the boxes for us.

Are the night stalls outside Banzaan Market back yet?

And Soi Ketchup gone.

Will there be enough places to service people if tourism starts to return as soon as the flights start?

Thanks for your updates Xylophone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Hi P2,

Yes, I was sad to see that restaurant go, if indeed it has permanently, because they started it further south on Nanai and although it was not in a great position, it did seem to take off, hence the move to "better" premises, and always good to see little businesses like that succeeding?

There are some stalls outside of Banzaan market, but nowhere near the amount there were before, where at one time they were spilling out onto the pavement and road, but now, just a few outside of the centre itself, but they seem to be gradually coming back, and only time will tell.

I suppose the good thing about Soi Kepsub going is that a lot of the dingy places in that Soi have been knocked down, and where the little Soi came to an abrupt end just before the beach road, with a few low-slung low rent shops, there is likely to be a completely different look with perhaps the entrance to a top hotel, which apparently is the aim.

I was very surprised at the amount of land in and surrounding that Soi, and judging by the size of it, it could well be a couple of years before a hotel or similar will be completed, so obviously someone is hoping for an upturn in tourism.

There will certainly be enough places to service tourism when the flights start again, so things are not that dire, but many small businesses just will not survive, as others have said. And on that note I wonder how many of the small shops selling latex and skincare products to the Chinese tour bus loads will survive, because already some have been closed and demolished and many weren't doing much business anyway after the accidents and drownings impacted the Chinese inflows.

I did visit the wine connection yesterday for lunch with a friend, and there were about six other people in the place all told, and no one passing by eyeing the place up.

It's going to be a long slow process I'm afraid.

So, looking down from the entrance from 100 year old monger road, do you mean just the properties as in the video or the whole soi down to the beach road? Also, is the adjacent soi that forms the plan triangular shape, again from 100 year old monger road, also included as Soi Kepsap?

image.png.c78d648a6a57343c4c26b39d1412055b.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, billythehat said:

So, looking down from the entrance from 100 year old monger road, do you mean just the properties as in the video or the whole soi down to the beach road? Also, is the adjacent soi that forms the plan triangular shape, again from 100 year old monger road, also included as Soi Kepsap?

image.png.c78d648a6a57343c4c26b39d1412055b.png

Yes all has been/is being demolished, including buildings in the "triangle" bit!!

A very large area upon which to build and I reckon a hotel about the size of "Gracelands" (Patong) will fit the bill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes all has been/is being demolished, including buildings in the "triangle" bit!!

A very large area upon which to build and I reckon a hotel about the size of "Gracelands" (Patong) will fit the bill.

...or another empty shopping mall. ????

Apart from the hassle of the numerous rub & tug shops down this soi, it was a handy passage down to the beach road, the other options being a fair trudge from each other in the hot midday sun. Again, all of this has happened very quickly as all was still there in January 2020.  

• Like 2