Patong - The Wake

Patong2

5 hours ago, hansgruber said:

500k died from Corona virus but in that time the common influenza killed more. 

TB infected 10 million people in 2019 and killed 15% of those infected. That's 1.5 million deaths. 

It's just as contagious yet it's been around since I was a kid and it's still killing. 

No vaccine, no lockdown yet it's killing a million plus year after year. 

I know it's difficult to follow and believe the numbers and stats that comes out of various countries and organisations, but to say this is just another normal influenza virus is quite naive...

Dismiss the numbers of cases and deaths, , but what is a good measure is comparing the number of deaths, all deaths from any source, with average deaths from previous years for the same month or quarter. In countries that were badly effected that number increased by factor of 3 or 4 ...!!!? 

Another indication of a serious problem is when hospitals are overwhelmed,  extra temporary ones built, and still people are kept in corridors and parking lots, so many death that the capacity to even bury them is surpassed...!

Yes, some countries were not affected much, but some did, and still do..., if you think all the problems in Brazil right now is just another normal flu, you need to read more proper news , not conspiracy theory forums ... !!! 

• Like 1

currently the "Patong the wake"  has changed to the burial of Patong

Was just in jung Ceylon.  The whole first building on 2nd road on the first floor  4 shops open, 2nd floor ONE only, (sport store gone)
1/2 restaurants are closed on the restaurant alley.

2nd building has more shops open. Big C at most 50 customers.

STILL thou 20 or so booths selling condos  LOL

2nd road/ beach road  80% shops closed and many i doubt will re-open. 

With this announcement i can't see "regular tourists" getting back till Oct at the earliest

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand now says the proposed “travel bubble” scheme, which could have allowed limited numbers of tourist arrivals from designated “low risk” countries, may have to be “postponed indefinitely”, after its 3 target partners – China, Japan and South Korea – experienced new outbreaks of Covid-19.

On Tuesday, the CAAT’s director-general told reporters he expected Thailand to start exchanging tourists in August with countries that had controlled their coronavirus epidemics as Thailand has. But while negotiations have begun, new outbreaks in Beijing, Tokyo and outside Seoul now mean “we probably will have to postpone indefinitely.”   
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/travel-bubbles-may-be-postponed-indefinitely

Sad days ahead

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Beaches in Europe are open, and no mask needed. Borders are open to many countries, people travel book hotels and holidays.

Where Mask is required in Europe

At least 18 European countries have made masks compulsory in certain spaces. 

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/08/face-off-over-face-masks-europes-latest-north-south-split

10 hours ago, hansgruber said:

500k died from Corona virus but in that time the common influenza killed more. 

TB infected 10 million people in 2019 and killed 15% of those infected. That's 1.5 million deaths. 

It's just as contagious yet it's been around since I was a kid and it's still killing. 

No vaccine, no lockdown yet it's killing a million plus year after year. 

What about BCG

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Is it true that some bars and restaurants that opened up are now closing back down?

I don't know the numbers, however I did meet the owner of a Bangla bar just a couple of days ago, and she had opened the bar, along with her staff, given it a few days and then closed it down again, saying there was no point as there were no customers.

A sprinkling of farangs in a few of the other bars which were open, and about 20 in Hollywood at 2 AM in the morning, so I doubt anyone is making any money, although for now my favourite Italian restaurant which opened about a week ago has stayed open – – – so far.

More stores have closed in Jungceylon, to join the basement level of the "Siam" section, which has been totally closed for a few weeks now.

It's a sorry state and I feel sorry for those trying to make a living out of the current situation.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Is it true that some bars and restaurants that opened up are now closing back down?

Just texted with an owner of a big bar in Bangla. Clearly he is losing money with just staff and electric costs. Property owner and mayor wants him stay open but how can he if he is bleeding money every day. He gives it a month at most then will close. Maybe forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Didn't I read a report in another publication the other day that the Entertainment Association of Patong (or whatever it's called) were calling for 4am closing times again? Or did I dream it?

Anyway, what's the point right now? Pay staff more and increased utility bills.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

Didn't I read a report in another publication the other day that the Entertainment Association of Patong (or whatever it's called) were calling for 4am closing times again? Or did I dream it?

Anyway, what's the point right now? Pay staff more and increased utility bills.

They are preparing the ground work for the return of the "good times".

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:45 AM, LivinginKata said:

Just texted with an owner of a big bar in Bangla. Clearly he is losing money with just staff and electric costs. Property owner and mayor wants him stay open but how can he if he is bleeding money every day. He gives it a month at most then will close. Maybe forever.

Didn’t anyone tell this ‘big bar owner’ that there were no longer any 2-week millionaires staggering up and down the Bangla circus at this time? :coffee1:

Hilarious that the chief Somchais want the owner to continue to throw his own cash down the hong nam. It would be, in these present conditions, a reasonable proposition for the Somchais who control the land to introduce some financial liquidity to help prop up the struggling businesses. You know, sort work together like real businessmen, one hand washes the other…:tongue:

Equally mysterious, what would a Mayor know about the financial machinations of running a bar and the inherent problems of such in these troubling times? Time to call in Scooby Doo and the gang.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have seen it posted that Vietnam is more welcoming to tourists and was supposed to open up fully on July 1, although I don't know whether it has or not.....

You gave me hope there - divert from Singapore to Vietnam instead of Phuket and maybe get into Thailand in early 2021?

But, according to the British Foreign Office a few moments ago "Vietnam has temporarily suspended visa waivers, issuing of visas and the entry into Vietnam for all foreign nationals".

Caribbean still in the lead!

• 2 weeks later...

These are not my pictures......But I was amazed at how empty Central Patong Shopping Mall was so I thought I would repost them here.......

Central Patong Shopping Mall car park last Thursday, 11.45.. empty ..

1052106307_CarParkJuncylonMall.thumb.jpg.2cf75a691cb889bfe9eb036bbc9a0713.jpg

Central Patong Shopping Mall food court last Thursday 12.00

349559420_FoodCourtCentralPatong.thumb.jpg.4b9c5ace6e68a0ae2b481bad79b70f02.jpg

Central Patong Shopping Mall H&M last Thursday 12.15 

2102997945_CentralPatongMallHM.thumb.jpg.763a58dbd1f9e207fb5c3f122e879418.jpg

Central Patong Shopping Mall last Thursday 12.30 center court .. empty ..

620922048_CentralPatongMallCenterCourt.thumb.jpg.d20e411cf1fd2c3ffddd515207bb1595.jpg

Thanks Redwood

Those photo's of Central Patong are pretty depressing.

How are the food places downstairs faring? 

If business is that slow would the food be OK?

Well, we are still keen to get back, better than dying of boredom whilst cold and wet in NZ.

4 hours ago, Patong2 said:

How are the food places downstairs faring? 

If business is that slow would the food be OK?

Very quiet. Let's say it in a nice way i buy there since the lockdown only my wine and import beer at tops.

24 minutes ago, schlog said:

Xylo you sure can confirm pic 1+3+4 are JC and not central. Only pic 2 is patong central.

I have no idea......I just reposted the pictures.....I just assumed they were correct...Anyways no matter the mall the pictures tell the same story...

Edited by redwood1

On 8/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, redwood1 said:

I have no idea......I just reposted the pictures.....I just assumed they were correct...Anyways no matter the mall the pictures tell the same story...

Yes the whole scene here in Patong is depressing and seems to be going in a downward spiral, as would be the case when there are no tourists with new money to spend, so what little money there is is being sought by local Thai businesses hoping that local Thais have a little money to spare!

It's got to the stage where girls from the 7-Eleven are walking around the place with little hand trolleys full of snacks, hoping to sell some. Nothing expensive, just low cost stuff, hoping to get a few takers, but at least they are being proactive.

Apparently two of the pharmacies in and around Jungceylon will be closing within a week, although I think Boots will be staying open.

I also noticed another couple of the property booths have disappeared, as have more of the little stalls on the third floor and I'm not sure how long these can hold out for because nobody goes up there now.

I did venture into Bangla about a week ago, and the biggest bar in Bangla, where Crocodile once was, had no farangs in it whatsoever, although it was pumping out the music and had a couple of Russian dancers gyrating on empty bar tops. Can't see that staying open much longer under these circumstances.

The Thai folks I know who have just opened an Italian restaurant in Nanai are finding it a struggle, as I said they would, and this despite the fact that they are churning out cheap meals, then giving a discount on top of that, and still hope to make a living – – there cannot be much profit in a dish of pasta with Bolognese sauce, delivered to the table at a cost of around 80 baht or less?

And when there are only about four or five customers a day, the future does not look too rosy IMO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, ThePearl said:

Can someone put a report in on O Top bars....yes they were struggling before....but be interested....Koola bar old stomping ground. Sawadee krap.

I was there a couple of times recently, about 9 or 10 bars open..., very few people I'm afraid, last time they told me I was the only customer all night in one bar. Not a place for Thai tourists to go, only a few of those come to Phuket now..., and of course no other visitors to the island now...

No idea when they will allow some foreign tourists in, they don't even want to talk about it right now, having zero covid19 cases become a curse !!!? They don't want to spoil it...????

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2