Jump to content

Patong - The Wake


Recommended Posts

 

Had a chat with a friend the other day about the Chinese tourists, and the whole "zero baht tourists" debate.

 

I told him it would be very interesting to know just how much ThaiBev's sales, and Singha Corp's sales, and some other big alcohol stake holder company's sales have declined on Phuket in the last 2 to 3 years, as compared to previous years, before the TAT started targeting the Chinese market, after the rapid decline of the western tourist market on Phuket. 

 

He basically said, the decline would have to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, not baht, dollars.  initially, I disagreed, and then, after some consideration, told him he was probably right.  

 

On a more local level, I would guess the alcohol suppliers have also seen a big decline.  If any member knows someone working locally in the industry, it might be interesting to inquire.

 

I put this post forward as just yet another small indicator of another industry not seeing so much revenue from Phuket as they have seen in the past, which would tend to indicate a future trend. 

 

Edited by NamKangMan
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been in Phuket prison on remand for a traffic accident in which 2 local underaged kids died on a motorbike who crash into me. 19 months waiting in prison for my day in court. 300,000 bail bond

I'm sure you mean well by your post LaoPo, so I will take it as constructive, however there are some things which seem to pass by your understanding.   I am also sure there are many other ex

Thank you for your kind words Patong2 and I was sorry to see the thread closed, however it became necessary not just because of a vindictive poster taking aim at me, but because it had gotten a little

Posted Images

16 hours ago, hansgruber said:

Interesting sequel to my Patong thread. 

I approve. 

 

In my opinion, it will be a long time before we see a sequel to this thread.

 

"Patong - The Resurrection." 

 

             😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NamKangMan said:

 

In my opinion, it will be a long time before we see a sequel to this thread.

 

"Patong - The Resurrection." 

 

             😁

Mate, you missed the pat on the back for old boy HG.......clearly the inventor of the thread, or...........dumbsh**t bored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Mate, you missed the pat on the back for old boy HG.......clearly the inventor of the thread, or...........dumbsh**t bored.

 

If what you suggest is true, how come HG hasn't posted for so long?

 

I doubt a TV suspension would last that long.  😁

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hansgruber said:

I have been in Phuket prison on remand for a traffic accident in which 2 local underaged kids died on a motorbike who crash into me. 19 months waiting in prison for my day in court. 300,000 bail bond i did not have it. 

Was not my fault and did not bow down to pressure for money compensation. I refuse all offers for help. Even 50,000 baht i can get out if i admit my guilt. No way. I will deported from my life here for something i did not have fault. 

I get to court to represent myself and win the cases. Charges thrown out and i have been vindicated and free to leave. 

I never give up my fight. 

Paid nothing not one baht and freedom is mine now to enjoy with clear conscious.  

The legal system is fair here. Is what i can say. My faith is restored 100%. 

I was suspended on thaivisa yes but all i had to do was provide email that is valid. I could not do it from prison. 

My advice to all is get dashcam front and rear windows. Your life can get turned upside down in a heartbeat. 

 

I wish to say no more in this topic. 

Thanks for welcoming me back grumpyoldman. Xoxo

 

 

 

 

 

Interesting story.  I can't find any news article about this.  Did it happen on Phuket?  Glad you survived your time.

 

"The legal system is fair here. Is what i can say. My faith is restored 100%." - mmmmm, after being incarcerated, for a motor vehicle accident that was not your fault, and demands for compensation made from you, of which the police get a commission, so you could regain your freedom, how can you say "The legal system is fair here?"

 

I think you may mean "the judicial system is fair here" which I am sure many would disagree with, particularly in relation to civil matters, but you are entitled to your opinion. 

 

However, the criminal "legal system" involves the fair and impartial and competent investigation of crime by police, in which the outcome of their investigation can not be corrupted. 

 

If the accident was truly not your fault, and I tend to believe it wasn't, because it's a common occurrence that the farang is extorted, even when not at fault, in accidents here, don't you think the "legal system" on a whole, has failed you?

 

In relation to a dash cam, I totally agree.  I would also add, should anyone be involved in an accident here, the first thing to do is email the footage to a friend or family member, with the view of making it public, should the police do as they have done in your case, arrest and incarcerate you, for the purposes of extortion. 

 

That footage has to stored offsite immediately, otherwise, it's as good as it never existed.  

 

Edited by NamKangMan
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hansgruber said:

I have been in Phuket prison on remand for a traffic accident in which 2 local underaged kids died on a motorbike who crash into me. 19 months waiting in prison for my day in court. 300,000 bail bond i did not have it. 

Was not my fault and did not bow down to pressure for money compensation. I refuse all offers for help. Even 50,000 baht i can get out if i admit my guilt. No way. I will deported from my life here for something i did not have fault. 

I get to court to represent myself and win the cases. Charges thrown out and i have been vindicated and free to leave. 

I never give up my fight. 

Paid nothing not one baht and freedom is mine now to enjoy with clear conscious.  

The legal system is fair here. Is what i can say. My faith is restored 100%. 

I was suspended on thaivisa yes but all i had to do was provide email that is valid. I could not do it from prison. 

My advice to all is get dashcam front and rear windows. Your life can get turned upside down in a heartbeat. 

 

I wish to say no more in this topic. 

Thanks for welcoming me back grumpyoldman. Xoxo

 

 

Jeez. That's terrible. Years ago my wife and I were involved in a building permit irregularity. Into police station and squeezed for money to make it go away. At least we could afford our bail money. We had to report to the court every 6 weeks awaiting our trial date. The government lawyers tried to squeeze us. We siad no thanks we will pay what would be a small fine. Many months later case dropped and bail returned.

 

And we both do have forward dash cameras. And I would not drive any car without bail bond money in the insurance policy. 

 

Welcome back.

 

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back Hans Gruber. I'm happy that you survived your ordeal and seem to be less than vindictive towards those that got you incarcerated.

 

I'm about to order two dash cams on Lazada!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

 

Jeez. That's terrible. Years ago my wife and I were involved in a building permit irregularity. Into police station and squeezed for money to make it go away. At least we could afford our bail money. We had to report to the court every 6 weeks awaiting our trial date. The government lawyers tried to squeeze us. We siad no thanks we will pay what would be a small fine. Many months later case dropped and bail returned.

 

And we both do have forward dash cameras. And I would not drive any car without bail bond money in the insurance policy. 

 

Welcome back.

 

Interesting note about the bail-bond item addition but is this available to tourists who rent vehicles there? Is it advice you would offer to your guests to consider should they fall foul of the ‘fair’ Thai legal system? My first driving experiences in Thailand were in the north-east and back then I never thought about too much about it apart from the fact that I assumed I was fully insured…very different experience though driving west from Nong Khai to Mai Sai 20 years ago compared to Phuket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billythehat said:

Interesting note about the bail-bond item addition but is this available to tourists who rent vehicles there? Is it advice you would offer to your guests to consider should they fall foul of the ‘fair’ Thai legal system? My first driving experiences in Thailand were in the north-east and back then I never thought about too much about it apart from the fact that I assumed I was fully insured…very different experience though driving west from Nong Khai to Mai Sai 20 years ago compared to Phuket.

 

Getting off topic here. Insurance here in Thailand is for the vehicle and any legal driver. If the insurance has this bail bond option then applies to any driver. I suspect that many of these 'road side' operators don't bother paying for that cover. The big companies do. That's why I never ever rent a car on the so called cheap. I have walked away from some small renters once wife has read the contract fine print written in Thai.

 

Edit. My wife has 2 rental cars with full insurance include bail bond.  

Edited by LivinginKata
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

 

Getting off topic here. Insurance here in Thailand is for the vehicle and any legal driver. If the insurance has this bail bond option then applies to any driver. I suspect that many of these 'road side' operators don't bother paying for that cover. The big companies do. That's why I never ever rent a car on the so called cheap. I have walked away from some small renters once wife has read the contract fine print written in Thai.

 

Edit. My wife has 2 rental cars with full insurance include bail bond.  

Off-topic? …possibly, but useful information to the green newbies who may catch a glimpse of this and pass it on. A hotel owner I know has a list of don’ts that he gives to his guests; dealing with ho’s, taxis, jet skis, humourless diving instructors and so on; I will ask him to add this nugget to the list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...