Patong - The Wake

Patong2

didn't go thru the whole list but impossible to arrive as a tourist for Australia, Malaysia or Vietnam till the end of the year,

assume its the same for 80% of the others on the above list

so whats the point of the list?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zzzzz said:

didn't go thru the whole list but impossible to arrive as a tourist for Australia, Malaysia or Vietnam till the end of the year,

assume its the same for 80% of the others on the above list

so whats the point of the list?

Appreciate that some of these countries have their own entry/quarantine requirements also, posted to merely show the potential options for those for whom winter sunshine in lieu of Phuket/Thailand, and those that will not require self quarantine when returning to the UK.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Appreciate that some of these countries have their own entry/quarantine requirements also, posted to merely show the potential options for those for whom winter sunshine in lieu of Phuket/Thailand, and those that will not require self quarantine when returning to the UK.

But you CANT enter all these countries.

so........where is the potential to enjoy winter sunshine?

I'm confused

Edited by zzzzz

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

But you CANT enter all these countries.

so........where is the potential to enjoy winter sunshine?

I'm confused

UK no quarantine list makes no sense really. But to answer the question as asked.

Africa: Kenya, Egypt, Seychelles (actually about 1/4 of africa is open to some degree but these are only popular tourist spots)

Oceania: French Polynesia

Central America: Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Caribbean: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos

Asia: Maldives

Europe: all the Euro Mediterranean countries

While there is some variation in rules, and some limitations on country's that can go, generally advoided any that is closed to tourists or has 14 day quarantine across the board.

• Thanks 1

A video paints a thousand words!

That is grim. Hardly surprising that many/most/all of the entertainment workers have given up and gone home to their families - broke.

I would love to come over and help out for three months in my own small way, but looking at the knee-jerk reaction over a single positive Buriram United player, Thailand is going to remain inaccessible for far more than the foreseeable future.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better, of course.

Friday and Yesterday there was some sports festival on Patong beach, with a large stage set up, and also a 3km and a 10km run (I think latter was yesterday morning) , no idea how it was , as there was a lot of rain and bad weather.... - so bad luck for organizers...

Today was surf competition on Patong and Kalim beach, nice weather and some wave I think helped a good event - not many people though, I think they are not promoting these events much...

By the way, no food stalls at night on the beach this weekend , contrary to what I mentioned before, no idea if it returns next weekend, the stalls and infrastructure are still there, so maybe due to rain they didn't turn up...

Friday and Saturday nights are a bit better in Bangla than the video, those who don't like drunk farang should turn up and enjoy it during the week - if they prefer a quiet "wake" like atmosphere to party.... !   lol

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrDave said:

This is something I've been wondering about the past few months. I was thinking about posting a query to get feedback from those who purchased condos under those terms in Patong and vicinity, but then figured investors would be reluctant to respond.

Even in the best of times, the 7% scheme is a stretch. On a 5 million baht property, the developer would be on the hook to the purchaser for nearly 1,000 baht per day, every day of the year regardless of occupancy! This on a unit that might pull 3,000 baht per night in high season, and maybe 1,500 in low season.   It would be very interesting to know if these developers are currently paying the investors, and if not, how they're avoiding payment. Is the 7% being mysteriously eaten away by maintenance and administrative fees? Has the developer re-organized to somehow nullify the agreements?  

How guaranteed  is the rental guaranty in Patong ?

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sad times...........

<snip>

Now I haven't been closely following the varied news bulletins about amnesties/leaving/visas/whatever, because often as not they contradict one another, but my friend said that he had driven into Patong earlier in the evening and was shocked that there were next to no farangs to be seen anywhere, and he wondered if a lot of them had finally left because of all of the things mentioned above?

It didn't really hit home till later when I considered the number of farangs I had seen in Big C earlier that day, and true enough, apart from the whole place being damn near empty, I was the only farang in it?

As I said at the beginning, "sad times" and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better.

RIP - i hope you turned off the lights as you left as it looks like its finally over

• Like 2

There is hardly any place left to eat at Jungceylon. In the outside eating street where Wine Connection is (and is closed), only Pizza Hut remains open (probably because they deliver). In the rear the food choices are McDonald's or the small menu at Starbucks, in the center court the Thai restaurant and KFC are open, and Burger King plus Coffee Club remain open in the front. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schlog said:

Thought after your post xylo lets do the farang count today on my ride:

Kok Kloy 0

Maikhao 0

Lotus Thalang 1

Makro Patong 0

Gym Patong 3

In my trip around Patong today I counted a total of about 16 farangs, which was a lot more than I expected, however six of them were in one bar in Nanai, another three were in Soi Sansabai and the rest were in Big C.

I have to go to Phuket immigration in a couple of weeks time to get my extension for retirement done, so I'm wondering what it will be like at that place?

• Like 2