Patong - The Wake

Patong2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Taking a slightly different tack with this post, although starting off in familiar fashion, as I visited Blue Beach Café and Restaurant initially on my outing on Saturday evening with a couple of friends, and as is the norm for this place, enjoyed a very nice meal.

And it wasn't until I had walked up Bangla and had seen the "sights" and then had seen some more "sights" in Red Hot, that I began to think about Patong as a desirable place to visit. This in conjunction with the fact that TAT is trying to encourage wealthy people here, as a sort of "millionaire's paradise", and it struck me that Patong would never be a place that would fit that category.

To be perfectly honest (maybe too honest for some folks liking) IMO this place is a paradise for "totally tattooed tw@ts"; old men with huge beer guts, earrings and ponytails, in whatever order one chooses; wifebeater T-shirts; some farangs down to their last few baht, plus of course the usual motorbike idiots from all walks of life, so not a place that millionaires would seek out.

If I add to that the number of low rent tourists (including the Indians) who appear to be taking advantage of the Covid lull, including the six fat Aussies who blocked my view two weeks ago, as well as the enormously fat young Aussie woman (I think it was a woman, although it was more the size of a hippo in a dress) and her mate, who was almost the same size, then it sort of completes the picture of "not a desirable place to hang out", and certainly not a "millionaire's paradise".

So although Patong and environs does have some expensive villas and hotels, it is not the place where the "rich and famous" hang out, unless they want to slum it for a while.

Back on track.........on my visit to Blue Beach, I was informed that there were some rooms/apartments available just above the restaurant, and these could be taken up on short or long term rentals, and I must admit that the thought of living above a great restaurant and bar, with the sea right at my fingertips (or should I say, toes) was very appealing, and still is, so I will have to check out the going rate.

Moving around Patong, I noticed that the restaurant pub, "La (or Le) Drinkeria" was being gutted, this is not surprising because it's been empty for a couple of years and although it was sad to see it close, it wasn't a surprise – – why not? Well it wasn't in a good position, with no foot traffic, or come to that, very little parking space, in a side road which is not renowned for its gastronomical offerings and indeed has its fair share of downmarket establishments. So one could posit that it was destined for a short life.

Having said that, I do believe that @Patong2 dined there on one occasion  and thought the food was good, and I did take a look around inside the establishment just after it opened, and it was clean and well laid out, and the menu looked enticing, but as I have already mentioned, despite all of this it was destined to fail because of its location.

On the subject of restaurants, it looks like the Italian restaurant near the bottom of Soi Nanai 6, which was supposedly "closed for the holidays" has now fully closed, which would be a shame because although there was no foot traffic, there were plenty of parking spaces, and the restaurant looked well laid out, clean and tidy, and had its own pizza oven – – perhaps it's destined to open again when the high season (if it happens) comes around?

Luckily there is still a very good Italian restaurant further along in Nanai, called, "Da Moreno" which also does extremely good pizzas, just right for a takeaway if wanted.

The roadworks going on in Nanai seem never-ending and quite what they are hoping to achieve with whatever it is they are trying, is beyond me, although drains of some description spring to mind, although that has already been tried twice and apparently not succeeded.

The bars and businesses running alongside of that stretch of Nanai which is being dug up, would certainly be suffering from lack of clientele due to that mess, and I feel sorry for them because everything that is going on is beyond their sphere of influence, and probably beyond their understanding (mine too).

However the fact that roadworks are going on in that part of Nanai, should have in no way influenced the thinking of whomsoever decided to open a bar and a restaurant near the roundabout end of Nanai – – a place where a previous restaurant had already failed, and just metres from it, a place where a previous bar had already failed!

Quite why anyone would want to open such establishments in that rarely visited part of Nanai is beyond me, however I suspect the combination of older farang and younger Thai woman, might have something to do with it.

And the beat goes on..............

Lighten up on the ozzies pal!! ????????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

So although Patong and environs does have some expensive villas and hotels, it is not the place where the "rich and famous" hang out, unless they want to slum it for a while.

I think that you need to broaden your horizons - Bangla is but a small (seedy) part of Patong, and Patong is but a small (not quite so seedy) part of Phuket.

I like the evening vibe of both but I would never base myself there - I stay in the back roads of Kamala and frequently ride to the northern beaches and there are some very desirable areas - have you ever ridden around Laguna? Maybe not "rich and famous" territory but there are plenty of secluded developments off the Laguna/Nai Thon/Nai Yang road that are very exclusive - just do a property search.

I'm sure that there are also upmarket developments to the south of Patong but I rarely venture in that direction.

Phuket is a beautiful location but it will never compete with Monaco, London, New York of Los Angeles - being a "millionaire" these days is no big deal but the "rich and famous" only want to be seen with other "rich and famous" people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Phuket is a beautiful location but it will never compete with Monaco, London, New York of Los Angeles - being a "millionaire" these days is no big deal but the "rich and famous" only want to be seen with other "rich and famous" people.

Which was my main point, although I focussed on Patong because that is what the thread is all about!!

And I have explored Phuket from top to bottom, so think that I know it fairly well.

Edited by xylophone

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, Patong2 said:

Definitely a lot more people in Patong than a few weeks ago. Certainly not the number of europeans there were 3 years ago which may mean bar spending is down but at least the numbers are starting to come back and there was good feel about the place last night.

(Shortened your post!!).

I have to agree with what you have said @Patong2 as not only was I also out on Saturday evening and Bangla was crowded, and as you said not so many Europeans as before, but I will add that there were more Indian folk than I've ever seen, but I also drove around Patong yesterday and was surprised at the number of shops which were reopening, and others which were newly opened.

If one wanted to view how cosmopolitan Patong has become, then taking a walk down Soi Sansabai would be an eye-opener because there are small restaurants of just about every cuisine, with the relative "hustlers" trying to shepherd people into them, as well as massage shops, spas and bars – – many more than I have seen for years.

Certainly more activity around the place yesterday, and more people, and this at 4 PM yesterday afternoon!!

Getting back to Saturday evening's outing, there were also more people at the Blue Beach Café and Restaurant, where for a change I enjoyed a nice Thai meal, and Soi Sea Dragon was crowded, although there were not as many people at Red Hot, but still reasonable, and whilst at that bar I met folks from South Africa, India, Russia and the US, oh and Italy........ the Awakening is in place!

• Like 2

They have put new barriers up in the street that runs between Ratuchit and Muang Saikor Rd beside Jung Ceylon. I can understand they may want to charge through traffic but the process is strange.

Drive into the street and pick up your card.

Go to the parking building on the left, pick up another card.

Do nothing with either card

Hand back card to leave carpark

Hand back other card to leave street

Pay nothing for either at this stage.

Remember the barriers in Soi Sansabai before Covid?

Same same put up but did nothing.

Are these new barriers going to be the same or will there be a fee?

Do you think they are workable in the long run?

• Like 1

While on the subject of Jung Ceylon, some good news.

They appear to be opening part of the centre by Big C, access from the walkway you use to get to Big C from the carpark building across the road.

Stalls with stock being erected yesterday but not obviously open.

45 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

While on the subject of Jung Ceylon, some good news.

They appear to be opening part of the centre by Big C, access from the walkway you use to get to Big C from the carpark building across the road.

Stalls with stock being erected yesterday but not obviously open.

Open later in the  day, but just a few "free standing" stalls at the moment........more to come!!??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patong2 said:

They have put new barriers up in the street that runs between Ratuchit and Muang Saikor Rd beside Jung Ceylon. I can understand they may want to charge through traffic but the process is strange.

Drive into the street and pick up your card.

Go to the parking building on the left, pick up another card.

Do nothing with either card

Hand back card to leave carpark

Hand back other card to leave street

Pay nothing for either at this stage.

Remember the barriers in Soi Sansabai before Covid?

Same same put up but did nothing.

Are these new barriers going to be the same or will there be a fee?

Do you think they are workable in the long run?

Right now it's a test run. They will start to charge on 1th next month. Will be in same way like underground parking before. Buy park free. Buy nothing pay for parking. Maybe this way they get taxi and tuktuk there under control.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Ahh, my first time in PaTong... ????

The pure exaltation on the faces of the 2 moto riders when I drew the "lucky Ticket" was a sight to behold, hi 5ing each other as they roared away to spend their bonus at their favorite bar !!

I missed out on the ipad but did get a Tshirt...

Sound like they were better actors than most of those in Thai soaps!

• Like 1

In Bangla Rd at 5.30am this morning and there was a guy sitting on the footpath selling plants about 400mm high in pots so I presume they were pot plants.

I wouldn't know a pot plant from a pine tree so I have no idea what they were.

Crossed my mind that a tourist would be a foolish to walk into his hotel with one of these in his hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Crossed my mind that a tourist would be a foolish to walk into his hotel with one of these in his hand.

Yes, but not everyone on Bangla is a tourist - plenty of ex-pats and long-stayers who stay in a property with a garden or even just a balcony. Maybe I'll buy one..... I usually just grow from avocado stones for a bit of fun!

Edited by London Lowf

5 hours ago, Patong2 said:

In Bangla Rd at 5.30am this morning and there was a guy sitting on the footpath selling plants about 400mm high in pots so I presume they were pot plants.

I wouldn't know a pot plant from a pine tree so I have no idea what they were.

I think growing pot in Thailand is legal now... ! (over 21 ?) , tourists wouldn't have problem taking it to hotel, may have issue taking it back home - depending where he lives... ????

Edited by Agusts

5 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I think growing pot in Thailand is legal now... ! (over 21 ?) , tourists wouldn't have problem taking it to hotel, may have issue taking it back home - depending where he lives... ????

Take home to Oz.They  will do a NedKelly on you! ????

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody got washed away in the big flood last night?

No one drowned on the way home from Bangla?

One polite ladyboy was sleeping in the lobby of our building as "electrics wet"on her MG that was stopped on the side of the road

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Nobody got washed away in the big flood last night?

No one drowned on the way home from Bangla?

One polite ladyboy was sleeping in the lobby of our building as "electrics wet"on her MG that was stopped on the side of the road

Not a night to venture out old chap, esp as have got a bad sinus infection, but no doubt all of the sights, sounds and peculiarities of Bangla will be on show next weekend!!

PS. Apart from the ladyboy sleeping in the lobby of your building, but then again..........

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

@xylophone please save me from backtracking… I’ve got a friend who is in PaTong at the moment, what is the name of the restaurant on Beach Rd ?

Blue Beach Cafe and Restaurant..........If one were to go to the bottom of Bangla where the beach is, then turn right for about 50 m, there is an alleyway down to the beach and the restaurant is at the end of that alleyway, actually on the beach – – and for further directions, it is almost opposite Savoey restaurant.

The sign is above the alleyway entrance, and there is a massage place there, mostly staffed by ladyboys I think?????

Would be interested to know what your friend thinks of it HP.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Blue Beach Cafe and Restaurant..........If one were to go to the bottom of Bangla where the beach is, then turn right for about 50 m, there is an alleyway down to the beach and the restaurant is at the end of that alleyway, actually on the beach – – and for further directions, it is almost opposite Savoey restaurant.

The sign is above the alleyway entrance, and there is a massage place there, mostly staffed by ladyboys I think?????

Would be interested to know what your friend thinks of it HP.

I’ll pass it on to him and see if he can drag himself away from Bangla, the ladyboys might do the trick !!!
????????

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...