Patong - The Wake

Patong2

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

could the pick up in Patong be accounted for by an additional 20,000+ Russians since Nov 1st?  ????

In my opinion, that could certainly be the case, and I did mention something about that a few weeks back, and there is also a pickup in the number of groups of Indians I see roaming around the place.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

In my opinion, that could certainly be the case, and I did mention something about that a few weeks back, and there is also a pickup in the number of groups of Indians I see roaming around the place.

The Indians, just like the Chinese once were are everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, Kopitiam said:

I was in Big C, JungCeylon last week.  Looking around, I don't think JungCeylon will be ready to open in Q4 2022.  The "central plaza" in the middle is all cut up and many empty shops have no renovation going on.  I don't think Robinson is coming back.  Nothing is going on behind the shutters.

Last what i heard from shop owners in JC is that soft opening will be in february 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, schlog said:

Last what i heard from shop owners in JC is that soft opening will be in february 2023.

Not surprising that they will miss 2022/2023 high season business and I don't have high expectation of "soft opening" in Feb 2023.  I reckon it's better late than never.

32 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

On the bright side, an enterprising local has completed the new road that goes from the top of Patong Hill (off on the left going towards Kathu, a big concrete road where there used to be a lone elephant tethered) and exits onto the Patong Hill Rd at the bottom of the hill about 400m before the traffic lights.

Definitely best viewed by going from the Kathu end.

On the way down the hill near the bottom, just past the newish PTT petrol station there is a road to the left with a sign up saying "Open Now". Not sure what the "Open Now" sign refers to but go up the road and it goes past a go kart track and eventually a Cobra Show and the old ZiplineMax.

It is a mature 2 lane concrete road and meanders past through forest etc and parts are very steep.

Lovely drive through here.

You will come up the hill to the new part which links through to the Patong Hill Rd and there are the best views you will see of Patong on your right and Kathu on the left.

Take your good camera with you and get out of the car and have a look.

The road is steep but certainly very well built. Take care and don't tell too many people about this new gem.

Don't go when raining

Just so that I understand this, are you saying that one can come from Kathu to Patong, and bypass the landslip by taking this "new road"???

One more question, please, do you think that my little Suzuki Swift would be able to safely negotiate that road??

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Just so that I understand this, are you saying that one can come from Kathu to Patong, and bypass the landslip by taking this "new road"???

One more question, please, do you think that my little Suzuki Swift would be able to safely negotiate that road??

Yes it completely bypasses the slip on Patong Hill but is not a great option as it is much longer and very steep in parts.

I drove our little front wheel drive Honda Jazz with 4 adults in and had no problem so expect the Swift would fly over it. (Couldn't resist that) Don't go in the rain as there was still some crumbly debris on the road which may make it slippery and you would miss the great vista over Patong.

Probably the inclines are about as steep as either hill from Nanai Rd to Hasippi Rd that runs along the top of the hill behind Patong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, London Lowf said:

That is exactly the same road.

I tried the other private road on the other side of the highway and it is pretty well advanced but just a single strip of concrete most of the way and a steep muddy track yet to be finished.

My passengers got a bit nervous after we went through a deep boggy patch and they weren't keen on the last steep stretch at all.

Probably OK on a bike but you will get dirty

I'll update on that when it is complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, Patong2 said:

Probably the inclines are about as steep as either hill from Nanai Rd to Hasippi Rd that runs along the top of the hill behind Patong.

Hasippi Rd… my wife has just explained to me it is Haa Sippi Rd, 50 year Rd she says.

My wife and I have been to a seafood restaurant up on that Rd a couple of times, good food and a great view over Pa Tong.

One night we took a couple of my farang mates up there along with a couple of her friends and a driver they knew, Toon.

The lady that ran the place was a great hostess and at the end of the evening we retired down to Bangla Rd, the girls took us to a bar on a side Soi called “<deleted> Bar” same hostess… ????

The first time my wife took me to the restaurant on Haa Sippi Rd she made me dismount her scooby and walk down the bottom part as it was too steep (she’s very cautious on the bike) I ran that road a couple of times and going down the other side was crazy treacherous, just running !!

Im looking forward to getting back over.

Edit
the bar name was an abbreviation of “blow employment”

Edited by HighPriority
Censored
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Last night Bangla Road was not so crowded as it has been on my previous visits

Funny you should say that - I was there last night and was surprised at how busy it was and has been on my last few visits. At about 10:30 there were no seats available at Kangaroo (as usual, although two frontage tables were occupied by staff taking the weight off their feet), Black Horse or Blue Lotus but i did find a slot at Rock Star which has become my go-to bar these days. Later, I tried Sea Dragon Bar which used to be one of my favourites but I went there while Sandboxing last year and didn't enjoy the Suzy Wong rebranding - apparently it's now part of the same group as Kangaroo although there is still evidence of SW in the girls uniforms. Anyway, i ordered a San Miguel at B99 (they have touts in the street out front with placards "All beers B75" but that's usual business practice here) and it arrived without a condom (looking around, no-one else had one) which was rectified and it was also COD which I've never experienced on Bangla before.

By the time I finished that beer the Brazil-Croatia match had concluded and it did then get decidedly quieter so maybe that's when you were there?

• Like 1